All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

GotQuestions and countless other go-to Christian Q&A websites have plenty to say--but what, from your perspective (informed by the Scriptures), is legalism?

One might be called a legalist for taking an uncompromisingly firm stance on a certain doctrinal or moral issue with which others may disagree based on divergent biblical interpretations, or because of insisting on baptism as necessary for salvation, strict Sabbath observance,  tithing, etc. Maybe you've been called a "legalist" before, or you have called someone else a "legalist." Some contend that certain denominations are "legalistic?" 

1. What is legalism, and what is not legalism?  
  2. Where and how do we draw the line between obedience (a good thing) and legalism (a bad thing)?
  3. How would I know if I am a legalist?  How can I avoid it?

Views: 1029

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What legalism is not: "a passion for biblical purity."

What legalism is not: "a passion for biblical purity."

Could another form of legalism (in addition to the one you posted) be this:

To parse the words of the Bible looking for subtle nuance, shades of ambiguity, loopholes, and/or technicalities with respect to God's commandments to rationalize, put a "spin" on, or otherwise justify sinful behavior?  Why or why not?

• If so, could someone who selectively reads and applies the Bible, filtering it through the lens of contemporary postmodern cultural norms and vales, be a legalist?  Why or why not?

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service