All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I wasn't fully awake and turned on my spoken Bible to listen. Just let it play wherever it was. For some reason, since I've been reading 1 John, my phone was on Jude 1. Right at the end of chapter 1 I came fully awake and rushed here. Here is why:

In another discussion we have spoken of being compassionate but also of rebuking. So as Jude played on, these two verses grabbed my attention.

Jude 1:22-23 KJV
22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

I don't know how you feel about Gills commentaries but he says (short version LOL) compassion for those convicted either of the faith or gone out (backsliders?). And he says the ones we treat with fear are the pharisees and false teachers. I know either way we speak the truth but what I felt in this verse is perhaps another meaning and it's something I've spoken of to others before.

I think God uses "some" who are good with rebuking and maybe sound harsh and "some" who show a more compassionate side, thereby using the talents given to both.

This is just something I felt might be true for quite some time now. Using our individual personalities, God can reach more people as some will respond better to a soft voice and some to a more outspoken one, and perhaps get a mixture of both from people with varying personalities.

Thought we could discuss this aspect of this verse and see what others might get from this particular scripture.

Views: 1065

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A good question, I think, is what is the difference between reproving(rebuking) and correcting. 2 Timothy 3:16 uses both words, as if to say there's a difference. "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" ESV. Also, teaching and training in righteousness differ in some respects from correcting and reproving. If someone is unaware of the "right" belief, unaware that what they believe is "wrong" then when is coming out and strongly rebuking the person versus teaching or training in righteousness the right response?
From what I gather, reprove and rebuke are the same but with a slight variation in that reprove is done in a more gentler way.
Yes, but there also seems to be a difference between rebuking and correcting.
I studied up on these once before. I remember that correcting entails not just pointing out a wrong but actually taking one in and showing them the right way...like a mentor.

Correcting deals with exposing the error and the corrected person desiring to align with truth. Rebuking deals more with the person knowing the truth and rejecting it or rejecting the truth after being exposed to truth.

An example from every day life could be a student adds 2+2 and gets 5 as the answer. The teacher corrects the student who then understands that the correct answer is 4.  Yet, there may be a student who then tells the teacher that they are wrong and that the answer is 5. The teacher will move from correcting to rebuking the student regarding the answer and the attitude displayed.

A Scriptural example is found in 1 Timothy 5, though applied directly to elders of the church it makes a good point.

1Ti 5:19-20 NIV84  Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses.  (20)  Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning.

Lord Bless,

LT

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service