All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Brothers and sisters, this is an up-to-date firestorm controversy that I need your help on. Glenn Beck was recently joined by several Evangelical well-respected leaders in a sort of Evangelical rally at the Mall this last weekend. I am pasting a tape of his apparent testimony and I'm sure you have already seen much of the coverage of the rally. Evangelical leaders are greatly divided over the issue of whether or not to support him in his effort to get a Spiritual revival started in America. I am asking for your advice in this matter.

Remember, Glenn Beck is a declared Mormon. Take a look at the video if I can get it on. If not I will past the link and ask someone to put it on. Thanks and God bless you.

Roy

Views: 1062

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amanda,

If we adopt the philosophy that anything goes as long as we believe in Jesus, we can get into all kinds of trouble. Let me share a couple of verses:

Jude 4
4 For certain men whose condemnation was written about  long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. NIV

2 Thess 2:9-12
9 This man will come to do the work of Satan with counterfeit power and signs and miracles. 10 He will use every kind of evil deception to fool those on their way to destruction, because they refuse to love and accept the truth that would save them. 11 So God will cause them to be greatly deceived, and they will believe these lies. 12 Then they will be condemned for enjoying evil rather than believing the truth. NLT

It is Satan's purpose to deceive. Deception can only come when there is a weakness in the area of doctrine. Paul goes on to say:

2 Thess 2:15
15 With all these things in mind, dear brothers and sisters, stand firm and keep a strong grip on the teaching we passed on to you both in person and by letter. NLT

It is the Truth that sets us free not a concept. We can never be truly free until we find the truth. We will be locked in confusion and other bondages through deceptions. For instance: a person who is working to earn his salvation will be in all sorts of bondage through legalism. Once he realizes it has been done for him, he will be on his journey to freedom.

We have been talking about Mormons. Their teachings concerning Christ have been way off. I am of the opinion that they will eventually have to come to the conclusion that these teachings concerning Christ have been in error and walk away from those false teachings. I guess it concerns me somewhat that you might be lumping Mormonism and the Christian doctrine of Christ as the same. Maybe I am just misunderstanding your statements. Limited atonement is very Christian. Atonement is only for those who come to Christ and not for everyone. Only those who confess Jesus as their Lord and believe in their hearts will be saved from their sins. Atonement is for those and those only. I would encourage you not to get that concerned with this one particular part of the doctrine of Christ. This is the objection that the world has against Christianity - its exclusiveness. Christianity properly states that there is only one possible way to heaven and that is through our Lord, Jesus Christ. All paths are not equal. All paths do not lead to God. Some religious teachings will lead people straight to hell.

Whosoever will, may come.
Amen, I agree. But, the more we learn, the closer we grow to Him. To really know Him is to love Him.

Amen Roy -

To know Him is to love Him!

Ama - I have always enjoyed this vid, thanks for posting it.
2 Timothy 2:15 (New International Version)
5 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

1 Peter 3:15 (New International Version)
15 ... Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

Matthew 16:12 (New King James Version)
12 Then they understood that He did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and Sadducees

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Rom 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

1Ti 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

1Ti 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

1Ti 4:6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

1Ti 4:13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

1Ti 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Titus 1:9 (New King James Version)
9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.

2Jn 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

Rev 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam,
Rev 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

2 Timothy 2
14 Keep reminding them of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. 15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 16 Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. 17 Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18 who have wandered away from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his,"[a] and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."
Amen. We cannot neglect sound doctrine or we will get into error.

Greetings in Christ to all,

I have ambivalent feelings about Beck.

I`ve had occasion to sit in several Bible studies and prayer services with one of the participants being a card-carrying Mormon.

Gotta tell you - He sounded and acted more like a Christian than some Christians I know. Was it an agent of satan appearing as a good guy? Don`t know. But, I do know there are some children of God in every nook and cranny of any church in the world.

Let me share some Scriptures  that I haven`t seen regarding this issue here yet: Luke 9:49-50, " And John answered and said,"Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name; and we tried to hinder him because he does not follow along with us:. (50) But Jesus said to him,"Do not hinder him; for he who is not against you is for you".

Philippians 1:15-18, " Some, to be sure, are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from good will;(16) the latter do it out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel;(17) the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, rather than from pure motives, thinking to cause me distress in my imprisonment.(18)What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice, yes, and I will rejoice."

Finally, in the 16th Chapter of Acts, Paul allowed a girl, possessed with a spirit of divination, follow him around, proclaiming him as a bond-servant of God spreading the good news of Christ. He allowed this for "many days"until he became annoyed and commanded the spirit to come out of her.

If anyone has introduced these passages, I apologize, for I didn`t see them.

But, according to these accounts, the Lord can use everybody and anybody for His purposes , and we wouldn`t necessarily have a clue about it.

Grace and Peace.

Richard,

Are you willing to include Jehovah's Witnesses into your analogy as well? What does it take to be saved? Does faith in any religious person called Jesus work? What about the guru that claims that his Jesus is his spirit guide that leads him to God? Are you willing to accept that just as long as the person identifies his religious leader with the name of Jesus, he is in. There are many so-called cults that claim Christianity. Are they all in?

I agree that there are several groups that have different beliefs but call themselves Christian. Some are Assemblies of God, Nazarene, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc., etc. But they all believe in the same Jesus. They believe in the Jesus that was originally eternal God that became a man and came to earth to become a sacrifice for our sins. These religious cults that claim to be Christian do not believe in that same Jesus. Are they Christian anyway simply because they identify their leader as Jesus and live a good life? I am curious how far you are willing to go with your analogy. If an angel comes to me in the middle of the night and claims to be a spirit guide leading me to Jesus and I follow him, will I be saved? Let's suppose this angel convinces me that this Jesus was another angel just like him but that he received a promotion because of his good deeds. Let's suppose I become converted to this Jesus and then I go and tell my friends about this Jesus and they become converted to this Jesus. Are we all saved? We are all claiming that Jesus is our Savior. Are we all saved?

Since the doctrine of Christ is no longer of any importance, it seems to me that just about anything goes as long as the morals are good. Tell me, do the good morals include having multiple wives? I am convinced that Joseph Smith's purpose in having many wives was not a godly purpose as he claimed it to be. I don't believe in his magical glasses or his golden tablets, either.

Richard, I am just curious how far you are willing to take your analogy.

Grace and peace to you through our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Roy,

I have searched long and hard to find a church that believes and teaches EXACTLY what the Bible says. You know what? I haven't found that church yet. How many churches promote speaking in tongues? How many raise people from the dead? How many churches teach that we have the authority to heal ourselves? How many teach about Spirit, Soul Body? Yet all of these are in the New Testament. How many teach the anointing of the Holy Spirit? How many teach that we are no longer under the law AND explain what that truly means? How many promote tithing? That is law. How many promote keeping the Sabbath? That is law. 

We have a video posted at the beginning of this thread where Glen Beck speaks of choosing Christ. I would suggest that his confession of faith would be enough.

We don't have a right to judge Glen's confession. He made it. Now it is for Christ to accept it or reject it because He is the One Who actually knows what is in Glen's heart. Judgment of this type is one forbidden in the Bible. So I have to side with Richard on this one....until Glen Beck shows me he ISN'T a Christian.

Blessings,

Rita

Rita,

Does your analogy also include all cults or just the Mormons? I am just curious. I remember when as a college student I was required to do a paper on Jehovah's Witnesses. I met some very nice people in their group. They even invited me to pray with them. Are they saved?

Roy

Greetings all,

-          Can a man who became a god save you?

-          Can a Jesus who was created in heaven and who was brought forth through physical union between the physical father god and Mary save you?

-          Can a Jesus who was a man who ascended to godhood save you?

-          Is such a god the God of the Bible? Is such a Jesus the Jesus of the Bible.

-          Do we accept that Jesus was a good man who became a god who then went to the cross and died for us? NO!!!

The LDS believe in a totally different Jesus. Their Jesus was a man who became God, not God who came in the flesh. It is not the name, but who the name signifies that matters.

MT 24:23 At that time if anyone says to you, `Look, here is the Christ!' or, `There he is!' do not believe it.

MT 24:24 For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect--if that were possible.

MT 24:25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

MT 24:26 "So if anyone tells you, `There he is, out in the desert,' do not go out; or, `Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it.

The above verses are speaking about the end times, but the principle is true for us today. Do we follow false Christs? Do we call brother those who follow and teach a false Jesus? This is not a small matter, but of upmost importance.

Can an LDS person be saved? Yes, when they find the true Jesus who is the way the truth and the life. Will they stay in the LDS? Not after they come to realize the difference between the false Jesus taught in the LDS system and the true Jesus who is eternal God.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service