All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

This subject came up at a recent Bible study I attended.  Is it an acceptable form of baptism?  What do you all think?

Views: 1058

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi John,

Bradley has sure been receiving some excellent counsel on this post-question.

John, yours is definitely included in that category. I particularly agree with your mention of Jesus "fulfilling all righteousness". I could never figure out how and why so many people ignore this event.

My take on this matter, from Joshua, or was it from Thomas Paine?  " I know not what baptism others may take, but for me and my household - If it was good enough for my Lord and Savior, Jesus, it`s good enough for me."

There you go, Bradley.

Grace and Peace.

"Do I Have To Be Baptized To Go To Heaven?" (From All About God).

Could this article cause confusion and questions to seekers and newly converted Christians? I think so.

However, those who are thinking about getting baptized, but are looking for reasons NOT TO, will find this article great. It gives them an out because it was printed in AAG.

To start with, about the beggar in Jesus` parable: Jesus never said that he (the beggar) was NOT baptized. It was just stated that he died, and was carried to Abraham`s bosom, after a life in misery. But, in this case, Jesus had not gone to the cross yet. Sure, many of the Jews were being baptized - for temporary measures of repentance. Therefore, this parable is a mute point regarding importance of baptism.

Then, obviously, the criminal on the cross could not be baptized before his death. I`m sure, over the years there have been many similiar cases - deathbed conversions, battlefield cases, and whatever, where others were in such a position. This much I know: God is God, and HE can do whatever He wants, and whenever He wants. Let`s don`t put God in a box, and say "it couldn`t happen because the guy wasn`t baptized. God KNOWS people`s hearts.

The point is - those who are not presently hanging on a cross, or on a deathbed, or in prison, whatever, THAT CAN BE BAPTIZED, but are not for whatever reason, these are the ones who will have to answer to Jesus. Jesus said,"Whoever denies me on earth, I will deny him to My Father in Heaven."(paraphased). I consider baptism an identifying show to the world of being with

Jesus.

Each person must make up his/her mind about this matter. Please use the Bible, which says a lot about Baptism, to come to a decision, not somebody`s opinion.

Grace and Peace.

Richard, I concur with your ultimate point to say that the act of Baptism is a vital act of obedience for a believer. It is a crucial step to the spiritual maturity that we must follow to live out the Christian life.

The question to me is not whether Biblically baptism is expected of a born-again believer, but whether it is required to be saved. Salvation is not dependant on baptism, rather because one is saved they are called to be baptized. It would be hard to imagine that a person who gets saved and has never been baptized would even question the validity of taking the next step, though someone who gets saved who was baptized as a child/baby may very well and rightly so question the validity of their child/baby baptism.

Hi Bradley,

Baptism is a natural follow-through after salvation occurs.  It is a public proclamation of one's faith--a statement that says "Jesus is not only Saviour--He is also Lord, and I'm going to live my life for Him and with Him completely devoted to Him" I don't see how an infant can make this type of choice, but like Scribe has said (as well as others) it's not up to any of us to decide who is saved or not...that is between each person and the Lord.
Blessings, Carla

I just heard a great sermon on this topic today, on the radio. The teacher's point was that ultimately Baptism is two pictures in one, each symbolizing points of the Gospel:

First: the very acts of Christ himself - a) Standing in a cold and hostile world for us to proclaim the love of the father, b) laying down on the cross and ultimately dying by the hands of another, and c) ultimately being resurrected.

Second: (which we have discussed at length) that it is a picture of our own surrender to Christ, standing as a testimony of faith, dying to self and being raised to new life in Christ.

I would add another that I did not hear this preacher speak about and that is that Baptism is also a testimony of our belief in The Resurrection. According to the Apostle Paul, the ultimate mark of a believer is not merely that we believe in Jesus as Messiah, but that we believe he rose and therefore we will rise also. (see Colossians 2, 1 Peter 1 and 1 Corinthians 15).

Scribe

Yes..  Amen.

Amen Brother Scribe,

Thanks for sharing this excellent word picture.

Grace and Peace.

You know, all of this talk about Baptism has made me hungry to see some folks place trust in Jesus and get baptized.
Amen and Amen.. :-)

Amen.

Statistics show that in any given year the number of professions of faith far out number the number of baptisms taking place. There is something extremely wrong in that. We know that baptism does not save, but it isn't optional either. To take this a little further, it gives reason to be concerned that not only is baptism being overlooked, but what about discipleship? Food for thought.

Lord Bless,

LT

Verily, thou spake truth

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service