All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

As a Catholic Christian I am often hurt by the contempt with which the Church is written about here at All About God. net.  And yet I know that many Christians would not be able to answer even basic questions about the Biblical-based teaching and practice of the Holy Catholic Church.  So, here is a quiz that I found at Catholic Bible 101.  Can you pass this quiz without looking up the answers before hand?  And if not, then could we all agree to get to know Catholic Christianity before we condemn Catholic Christians?

Take the quiz and find out. 

1. Pope John Paul II instituted a new set of mysteries to the Rosary called the ______Mysteries.  It is suggested by the Church to say these mysteries on _______ .
  2. The 3rd Glorious Mystery of the Rosary is the ________.
  3. Saul saw Jesus as a bright light on his way to _________.
  4. The first Christian in the New Testament, as well as the first evangelist, was _______.
  5. Paul describes Jesus as the new ______.
  6. The Ark of the Covenant contained three items, according to Paul, including ____, ____, & _____ .
  7. There are at least 3 righteous people mentioned in the Book of Luke, ____, _____, and _____.
  8. According to the Bible, _______ is the prince of the air.
  9. The first murderer in human history was _________.
  10. Adam and Eve's third son was named _______.
  11. Jesus is a priest forever, in the order of _______.
  12. True or False--The Catholic Church added the 7 books of the "apocrypha" to the Bible after the Protestant Reformation. 
  13. True or False--The Bible condemns all tradition.
  14. The Liturgy of the Hours draws mainly from the Biblical book of ______.
  15. __________ was completely forgiven for his sin by God, but still had to endure the death of his child as punishment.
  16. ________ told Mary that a sword would pierce her heart.
  17. Psalm _____ foretells the crucifixion of Jesus and that lots would be cast for his clothes.
  18. Bethlehem means _______of _______.
  19. The prophet _______ foretold that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem.
  20. The prophet _______ foretold that Jesus would be  born of a virgin.
  21. The prophet _______ foretold that Jesus would be sold for 30 pieces of silver.
  22. _________chopped off the head of General Holofernes, saving Israel. She is a biblical type of Mary, who crushes the head of the serpent, saving the Church.
  23. ________ was caught up to heaven in a whirlwind.  Just prior to that, ________ asked for and received a double portion of his spirit.
  24. _____ went to the Witch of Endor to get her to conjure up Samuel from the dead.
  25. True or False - Witchcraft, sorcery, and divination are not condemned by the Bible.
  26. ____ & _____ asked Jesus if he should rain fire down on a Samaritan village.
  27. Jesus appeared to his unknowing disciples after the Resurrection on the road to _______ .
  28.  In _____ chapter 6, Jesus told his disciples that if they eat ____and drink ____ they  would abide in him, and he in them.
  29. The angel Gabriel called Mary _____ of _____, rather than by her name.
  30. __________ was an Old Testament Prophet and King, who was a shepherd, was born in Bethlehem, started his Kingship at 30 years of age, and foretold that evil men would cast lots for the Messiah's clothes.
  31. Following the death of King __________in 930 BC,the nation of Israel split into the Northern Kingdom, called ________, and the southern Kingdom, called __________. 
  32. Of the 12 tribes of Israel, ___ were in the northern kingdom, and ____ were in the southern kingdom.
  33. The capital of the northern kingdom was ____________, while the capital of the southern kingdom was __________.
  34. In 722 BC, the northern kingdom was taken captive by __________.
  35. In 587 BC, the southern kingdom was taken captive by __________.
  36. The ________ kingdom eventually returned home after 70 years of exile.
  37. The ________kingdom assimilated with pagan countries and was never heard from again.
  38. Jesus said that a kingdom __________ cannot __________.
  39. According to 2 Maccabees, ________buried the Ark of the Covenant containing the 10 Commandments in a cave on or near Mount ________.
  40. Also according to 2 Maccabees, the long dead prophet _________ appeared to the former high priest Onias and to Judas Maccabees and presented a golden sword to Judas. Onias said the prophet_______much for the people and the holy city.
  41. Straight out of the Bible, the Seven Sorrows of Mary are ________, ________, ________, ________, ________, ________, & ________.
  42. _______ was taken up into heaven in a whirlwind (at the spot on the Jordan River where ________ started his ministry years later),  after giving a double portion of his spirit to his protege, ________.

Views: 1203

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Terrie,

Thank you and many Blessings to you! I needed a friendly voice right about now:) When Christians start posting anti-catholic propaganda from hate monger jack chick I know I'm in over my head! I feel like, how can I one little person, combat some much ignorance and hate? I just have to remember that this is the Holy Spirit's job and not mine.

Though I think we can see from this thread that Catholic Christians really do need to Know Their Faith.

I sent you a friend request!

I love you!

Sharon.
http://www.chick.com/reading/books/160/160cont.asp

The Church Forgives Sins
Catholicism teaches that it has the power and authority to forgive people's sins. Here are a few quotes from the Catechism. (Please note that whenever the Catechism mentions the "Church," it is referring to the "Roman Catholic church"):

"There is no offense, however serious, that the Church cannot forgive." Pg. 256, #982
"By Christ's will, the Church possesses the power to forgive the sins of the baptized..." Pg. 257, #986

"The Church, who through the bishop and his priests forgives sins in the name of Jesus Christ..." Pg. 363-364, #1448

Does the Catholic church have power to forgive sins? Let's see what the Scriptures say:

"Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?" Mark 2:7

"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Ephesians 4:32

According to Scripture, God wants His children to come straight to Him for forgiveness of sins, not to a church:
"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16

This verse loudly proclaims that forgiveness of sins comes from God's throne, not from a church. Still, Catholicism teaches a contrary doctrine:
"Indeed bishops and priests, by virtue of the sacrament of Holy Orders, have the power to forgive all sins 'in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.' " Pg. 367, #1461

"The Church must be able to forgive all penitents their offenses, even if they should sin until the last moment of their lives." Pg. 255, #979

However, this man-made doctrine contradicts God' s written Word. Many Bible characters freely approached God's throne for forgiveness of sins. The psalmist went straight to God:
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee... I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin..." Psalm 32:5

King David went directly to God to ask forgiveness for his sins:
"Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins." Psalm 25:18

In Psalm 51, David asks God for forgiveness again:
"Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight..." Psalm 51:2,4

King Solomon was also aware that he and all the children of Israel could go straight to God to receive forgiveness for their sins:
"Hearken therefore unto the supplications of thy servant, and of thy people Israel, which they shall make toward this place: hear thou from thy dwelling place, even from heaven; and when thou hearest, forgive." 2 Chronicles 6:21

God tells people to come to Him for forgiveness:
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14

God never requires anyone to go through a church to receive forgiveness for their sins.
"For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee." Psalm 86:5

"... if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye." Colossians 3:13

Why then would the Catholic church insist that forgiveness of sins is only available through her? The following Catechism quote provides the answer:
" Were there no forgiveness of sins in the Church, there would be no hope of life to come or eternal liberation. Let us thank God who has given his Church such a gift." Pg. 256, #983

Rather than looking to Jesus for forgiveness of sins and eternal life, Roman Catholics are taught that their sins can only be forgiven through the Catholic church. Whether intentional or not, this doctrine keeps people in bondage to the Catholic church.
Conclusion

Once again, God' s Word stands on one side, while the traditions of men stand on the other. God says He alone forgives sins, while Catholic tradition contends that the Catholic church has the power to forgive sins. Which side will you choose?

"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities..." Psalm 103:2-3
David,

OK. So, let me get this straight. In order to learn what the Catholic Church teaches you go to website of someone who is not Catholic and is in fact anti-Catholic.

First, the Church in the Catechism does not refer to the Roman Catholic Church it refers to the Body of Christ or the People of God which would include all Christians, all Jews, and even Muslims! In fact, anyone who has the Holy Spirit in their heart is considered a part of the Body of Christ ie; the Church.

Second, "Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?" Mark 2:7This is the Pharisees that are speaking and who are they speaking against Jesus! If you choose to agree with the Pharisees when they speak against Jesus go ahead but I don't.

Third, this is simply propaganda mixed with out right lies.

Why then would the Catholic church insist that forgiveness of sins is only available through her? The following Catechism quote provides the answer:
" Were there no forgiveness of sins in the Church, there would be no hope of life to come or eternal liberation. Let us thank God who has given his Church such a gift." Pg. 256, #983

Rather than looking to Jesus for forgiveness of sins and eternal life, Roman Catholics are taught that their sins can only be forgiven through the Catholic church. Whether intentional or not, this doctrine keeps people in bondage to the Catholic church.

"In the forgiveness of sins, both priests and sacraments are instruments which our Lord Jesus Christ, the only author and liberal giver of salvation, wills to use in order to efface our sins and give us the grace of justification" Roman Catechism I, 11, 6 which is found on page 257! right after the above quote.
hahahaaha not laughing at you my sister Sharon, but at your cool opening statement. Hahaha Very good my sister.

OK. So, let me get this straight. In order to learn what the Catholic Church teaches you go to website of someone who is not Catholic and is in fact anti-Catholic.

I go to Roman Catholic sites who actually try to show where the Protestants are in error and the websites that teach Protestants how to refute Roman Catholic teachings, which are believed not to be sound. Believe it or not I have a great respect for St. Augustine and his disciple Thomas Aquinas. I think those were brilliant philosophers used by God to bless the world. I of course do not agree with all their teachings, but their writings have blessed me. I also enjoy watching the Local cable Catholic channel from time to time. That is why I can tell you that the Roman Catholic Church here in America has changed drastically in the songs they sing and how they now study the bible more in their bible study groups that were almost none existent about 25 years ago. The Roman Catholic Church saw how fast Protestant churches were growing and how many members they were losing and made a change for the better. The underlying issues remain though. Some members in the Catholic Church were becoming acquainted with the word of God and started bible studies as well. I listen to a couple of radio programs that are generated by the Roman Catholic Church. One of my best friends, who has been in my life for about 16 years, is a devout Catholic and we have great fellowship, I have attended church with her and here family for special occasions in her family.

I have made it a point in my life my sister, not to criticize (yes I critic stuff) that I have not researched. That would be wrong. I will not speak up and point out someone's teachings and ministry if I have not invested hours upon hours in research and seeking God's guidance about the issue. There was a TV preacher you may or may not know by the name of Gene Scott, that man was something else and everyone would talk bad about Him, because he smoked cigars as he taught the word. I did not agree with Dr. Gene Scott's personal choices many times, but I spend entire nights watching his teaching to be able to asses him correctly and he was deep.I learned some stuff from him.

Gene is now with the Lord, so I am not telling folks to go watch him, just making a point my sister. I would not speak about Roman Catholic doctrine if I had not invested time investigating the topics in an objective and subjective manner.

First, the Church in the Catechism does not refer to the Roman Catholic Church it refers to the Body of Christ or the People of God which would include all Christians, all Jews, and even Muslims!
Can you please show me where it states that "The Church" does not excusably referred to the Romans Catholic Church and that in such a church Jews and even Muslims are included. Please show me. Thank you in advance.

My Lord bless you sis.
David,

If you have spent so much time learning about the Catholic faith then you should have known better then to believe anything from Jack Chick. Your words say one thing but your actions say another.
Sharon - you said:

First, the Church in the Catechism does not refer to the Roman Catholic Church it refers to the Body of Christ or the People of God which would include all Christians, all Jews, and even Muslims! In fact, anyone who has the Holy Spirit in their heart is considered a part of the Body of Christ ie; the Church.

The following Roman Catholic web site says different.
http://askacatholic.com/_WhatsNew/feature_pages/CatechismForProtest...
You can actually see the entire Catechism on this site: http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Catechism of the Catholic Church for Protestants, Jews and Muslims Program (CCCPJMP)

[The above does not mean that Protestants, Jews and Muslims are part of "The Church" it means as explain below that this particular Catechism is free of charge for those who are not of the Roman Catholic faith and want to convert.]

After reading about the program below, click the Catechism and send the required information.

Catechism of the Catholic Church for Protestants, Jewish and Muslims Program (CCCPJMP)

How does it work?

If any Protestant is:

•being drawn to the faith
•thinking about becoming a Catholic OR
is just interested in learning more about what the Roman Catholic Church believes and why, yet lacks the money.

[The Catechism is of the Roman Catholic Church as explained above]

If they send me their first and last name along with their snail/postal address I'll send them a FREE, Vatican approved, copy of Catechism of the Catholic Church. Just tell me where you want me to mail it by sending me your postal address. Although in places this program may be referred to as the CCCPP, sincere seeking Jewish or Muslims who are thinking about becoming Catholic are welcome as well!
David,

Find out. Get the Catechism. Go to the Vatican web-site. Pray. I want you to find out. Go to the pages that Jack Chick quotes from and see how the word 'Church' on these pages is a reference to something much larger than the chuch within the Physical Stone Walls of any one church in the world.

Please. Look and Learn.

Sharon.
David,

I should have been more clear when I wrote "the Church in the Catechism does not refer to the Roman Catholic Church' I meant 'in the passages quoted by Jack Chick, the word Church in the Catechism does not refer to the Roman Catholic Church but rather to the entire People of God, otherwise known as the Body of Christ.

The word 'church' in the Catechism does NOT always and only refer to the 'Roman Catholic Church' as Jack Chick stated in your post. However, I should have been more clear.

Sharon.
Winston -

1. Give me some examples of the best ways that the Catholic Church worships God , please.

2. Compare the practices against your vast experience in other churches and explained to me how you have determine what you have stated.

3. Please let’s keep the discussion healthy and maybe even fun. You know, let’s not let Satan come in and cause us to sin, because of this delicate topic.

In Love brother. Cool new pic btw.
Be blessed and a blessing.
David,

Winston is allowed to express his opinion. If you do not agree with his opinion then it it up to YOU to show why his opinion is wrong while your opinion is right.

Sharon.
Sharon -

If we should drop this discussion do let me know. I believe you to be my sister in Christ. My Lord shed His precious blood for you and you are an important member of our body. So if it's time to agree that we we will not agree about doctrinal issues, its fine with me.

I enjoy theological discussions and learning, as well as edifying one another in love, but if in any way things get a bit too delicate to continue, we should then let our love in Christ always prevail. Above all else, let us love one another beloved. :)

In Christ - your brother.
Hi Winston,

What is the Best Way to Worship God?

How does the Catholic church show more reverence to God than any other church?

I look forward to hearing from you. I, like David, would like to keep this conversation healthy with the perspective that each of us may walk away having learned something...and it will ultimately Glorify our Heavenly Father. Afterall, Jesus is the reason we are here.

Blessings, Carla

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service