All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

To interpret scripture correctly one must:

·         Study the context of the passage and the theme of the book.

·         Look up the actual meaning of each word in the original languages. (Not really necessary, but extremely helpful for those with a desire to go beyond the surface. I would say look up key words in the verses.)

·         Note the verb tenses, the cases, and other grammatical determinants.

·         Learn the cultural setting of the passage.

·         Determine what the original readers understood it to mean.

·         Check out cross-references to see how the words are used in other contexts.

·         See how the first mention of the word or topic is presented in the Bible.

·         Confirm an interpretation with two or three similar passages.

I got the above list from: http://billgothard.com/teaching/hermeneutics the article is well done and I highly recommend everyone reads it.

I will share a bit more to get your taste buds wet:

These are all proven study methods. However, it has always puzzled me how Bible scholars who claim to follow all of them arrive at totally opposite interpretations of the same passage. For example, in a seminary in the Northwest, two professors wrote on the topic of divorce and remarriage. Each one assured his readers that he was following sound rules of Biblical interpretation. Yet, each one arrived at a view that was opposite of the other. One day, I called up my former Greek professor at Wheaton Graduate School. He had written on the subject of hermeneutics, and I asked him if he could summarize the rules of hermeneutics in a concise list. His answer startled me. He said, “Bill, there is no such list.” I asked how we would know if we are breaking hermeneutical rules if there are no rules. He explained that there are certainly guidelines of interpretation. However, they cannot be confined to one set of rules.

So, what are the additional factors of correct Biblical hermeneutics?

1. Spiritual Perception Over Intellectual Understanding

2. God’s Revelation Over Human Reasoning

3. Genuine Love Rather Than Justification of Selfishness

4. Christ’s Commands Over Man’s Theology

5. One Interpretation and Many Applications

6. Correct Divisions of Truth Versus Truth Out of Balance

The writer goes on to give detail information about each of the above – enjoy! Proper hermeneutics requires diligent use of all the above factors under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The writer of the article concludes with the preceding statement and I say a big – Amen. 

Is Hermeneutics  necessary? or it is just a bunch of munbo jumbo by people who think they are intellectual and who complicate matters?

Views: 560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two thoughts come to mind in response to your questions:

1) Some of it depends on how serious of a student of God's Word one wants to be. Not all are called to be pastors and teachers.

2) At the same time we need to gain enough of a knowledge to be able to recognize false teachings when confronted by them. Does one trust a person simply because they are a pastor or teacher? Are all who profess to be pastors or teachers really called of God? Are all organizations truly biblical and of Christ? I encourage the congregation I pastor regularly to examine what I teach and challenge or question me regarding that teaching if they think it might be in error.  This examining needs to be applied to those who have come before us as well. We do not blindly follow.

Lord Bless,

LT

Amanda,

We walk by faith, not sight. At the same time we are warned to be on guard against false teachers. There are times that things will appear to be very confusing. You have tools available to investigate deeper if the subject warrants clarification. Raising questions is a good thing. I never get upset when someone in the congregation I pastor ask questions. It gives me the opportunity to teach and clarify the point. If I am wrong it give sme the opportunity to examine the error and to align with God's Word. You want to be in a church where questions are not only allowed, but embraced.

Lord bless,

LT

Amanda,

This article answers the question of women asking questions. :-)

The church i attend is not chaotic.  The question and answer time is orderly, and it is not a time to debate with the pastor.  My pastor doesn't discourage any questions, and in fact, there is a strong recommendation that every member of the church would join a home church to study the topics indepth, and go into the homework questions.  We discuss life application in home church, and also organize acts of compassion which we do as a group.  This is a healthy time spent in community, where there is growth.  Everyone can ask questions.  It is always an elder that leads the groups.  The homechurch I attend happens to be lead by one of the pastors in the church (it is a very large church).  When it comes time for prayer at the end of each meeting, we break into groups (men with men and women with women).  Like Robbin says there is a healthy church out there for you.  You may not know where it is yet, but God does, ask Him to lead you to it.

Blessings, Carla (anyway....here's the article) :-)

Question: "Do women have to remain silent in church?"

Answer:
1 Corinthians 14:33-35 states, "...As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church." At first glance, this seems to be a blanket command that women are not allowed to speak at all in the church. However, 1 Corinthians 11:5 mentions women praying and prophesying in the church and does not condemn it. Therefore, 1 Corinthians 14:33-35 must not be an absolute command for women to always be silent in church.

The context of this passage, and much of 1 Corinthians, is the order and structure of the church. The Corinthian church was noted for the chaos and lack of order that was rampant in that assembly (v. 33). It is interesting that no elders or pastors are mentioned, and the prophets were not even exercising control (see vv. 29, 32, 37). Everyone was participating with whatever expression they desired “whenever” they desired. This included tongues and prophesying by women who were taking the lead in the services instead of being submissive, as God’s Word makes clear (1 Timothy 2:11-15). Apparently, certain women in the Corinthian church were out of order in disruptively asking questions publicly in the chaotic services. It is not coincidental that many modern churches that have tongues-speaking and claim gifts of healings and miracles also permit women to lead worship, preach, and teach. Women may be gifted teachers, but they are not permitted by God “to speak” in such a manner in His churches. In fact, for them to do so is “shameful,” meaning “disgraceful” (v. 35).

The context of 1 Corinthians 14:33-35 is talking about interpreting and understanding the gifts of tongues and prophecy (1 Corinthians 14:26-32). Therefore, 1 Corinthians 14:34 is not commanding women to be absolutely silent in the church all the time. It is only saying that women should not participate when tongues and/or prophecy is being interpreted and tested (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; 1 John 4:1). This is in agreement with 1 Timothy 2:11-12 which says that women should not teach or have authority over men. If women were involved in deciding whether a prophecy was truly from God, they would be disobeying what the Bible says in 1 Timothy 2:11-12. Therefore, Paul tells women to be silent when tongues and prophecy are being interpreted so that they will not be disobeying God’s Word.

Recommended Resource: Women in Ministry: Four Views by Bonnidell & Robert Clouse, eds..

I encourage the congregation I pastor regularly to examine what I teach and challenge or question me regarding that teaching if they think it might be in error. 

LT, my Pastor does this also...  He also gives us homework every week, and has a question time at the end of every sermon--very cool.  I love to be challenged and stretched...  I think most of the congregation feels the same way.

:-) 

Carla,

Excellent. I am glad to hear that your pastor is open and willing to dicsuss people's questions. A great opportunity to teach and for growth to take place.

After all this time on AAG I would go nuts if I didn't field questions ... hahaha :-)

Lord Bless,

LT

Robbin,

1 Tim. 2:12-13, "But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve."

Titus 1:4, "For this reason I left you in Crete, that you might set in order what remains, and appoint elders in every city as I directed you, 6 namely, if any man be above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion."

The verses clearly teach a woman is not to teach or exercise authority over a man because Adam was created first, thereby making it a doctrinal mandate, not a cultural one. In the second verse, Paul tells Titus to appoint men as elders. So, we can clearly see that the Bible teaches it is the man who are to be an authority in the Church. But, in order to justify having women be in authority and teaching men, the texts are deconstructed and reinterpreted. In the case of first Timothy "a woman" means a "wife of a particular man." Or, Adam being created first means that "he is more responsible for his sin than Eve." Or, that "husband of one wife" really is a phrase used of women as well.

We had a wonderful discussion about the role of women in church, specific to Should women be pastors or elders, I will cut and paste a piece of it here, but I would not like us to turn this discussion into that discussion :) we can resurrect that other one: http://www.allaboutgod.net/forum/topics/should-women-represent-topr...

We don’t always have to do everything according to the perfect ideal standard, because sometimes the situation throws us a curve ball! So to sum it up, I think that it is unscriptural to have women as leaders in the church, and at the same time I believe sometimes and in some situations it is the right thing to do, though it is unscriptural.

That might sound contradictory, but I live in a confused world where a lot of things can happen. I think if we try to make the scripture say differently we will have a hard time doing it. If we try to say it was only the culture of the time, that will lead us to some verses that are clearly not based on culture and it will lead us to conclude that we can disregard many other passages because we can argue they are "just cultural" as well. That is not to say there are not some verses that are set in culture. But I think the safest course is to take the plain meaning (plain in my opinion anyway, I know others disagree) of scripture, but then realize that sometimes God does things outside of the general principles.

Lottie Moon was a great blessing to the church. God is always able to do according to His good pleasure with any of us (male or female). We are the clay He sets the rules not us. We are to simply be able to recognize His voice, but we can't make Him speak.

This is what I see my beloved family. God has set an order for the home and church. Throughout history we have seen woman do wonderful things for the kingdom of God.

Is it because these women have a great passion for God and compassion for the lost, which is the accomplice for them to ignored and justify their zeal for ministry positions that are not meant for them to fill? I personally do not think so. I do think that they have a great passion for the Lord and compassion for the lost. That I do think.

(I am sure some woman do enjoy the high of being in leadership positions, but I doubt that was the case for a Servant such as Lottie Moon)

We men have fallen so short and God's word must continue to go forward. God has raised up women to fill in the gap we have left open and some women are doing an awesome job. Homes are being led by women throughout the world and they are doing a great job, because we have done such a horrible job. We have abused the leadership God has assigned to us and many have run from their callings, because sin has them enslaved. Been there and done that myself, so I am not saying what I am saying with a "holier than thou" attitude, If anything with a broken heart.

I think woman who do feel call to Ministry do well to understand these truths. That is my take on it bro. I think is obvious that if we (men) were doing what we have been called to do at home and at church our world would be a better world today, but unfortunately there has been a need for woman to lead both at home and at church.

We live in a fallen world where we all fall short of the Glory of God and God doesn't destroy us. He knows the end from the beginning. He uses those vessels that set themselves apart from sin – simple as that.

Blessings

The discussion I mentioned above deals with all those scenarios my sister, check it out. It was a good one.

I will simply echo my above comment. God sets the norm and the rules we should follow, but He is not subject to such rules since He is the one making them. He showed with Deborah and other beautiful women in the bible that women are very capable to carry out leadership positions, but that is not to be the norm. Families have suffer the consequences of homes being raised by women who had at times by circumstances taken the role God assigned to men, because we men grow up too slowly and some don't ever grow up. God wants men leading the home and the Church, when we don't He will use those who walk in the Spirit.

Blessings

Amen, David. Very good point.
Sis Amanda,

The verse that immediately came to mind when you asked the question:

>> Was woman made a little lower than the man?

1 Peter 3:7 (NIV)
7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

I am very interested on hearing what the community says the bible teaches with this verse.

Blessings beloved.

we as the body certainly need eachother..  one more way of keeping us humble.

God has made men as the head of the church..  It is their responsibility to lead and guide their wife and family in Spiritual matters.  If they abuse this role which God has ordained to them, their relationship with the Lord will suffer, and it will be a hindrance to their prayer life.

Peter is not calling women weak....  I think there are enough rather strong women here on AAG to disprove that.

Can women be more easily deceived?  I don't believe that to be true either...men and women can easily be deceived if they do not know the truth that sets them free.

I wonder why Peter said the words 'weaker partner'..  interesting.  I don't know.

I have an interlinear hebrew/greek/english (direct translation to English) bible.. 

This is what it says :

Husbands likewise, dwelling together accord-knowledge, as with a weaker vessel the female, bestowing honor, as truly co-heirs of (the) Grace of Life, unto not cutting off the prayers of you.

Perhaps it is one way of God keeping things orderly in the home as well as in the church.  Women are to be honored..we are co-heirs of the Grace of Life.  When you honor someone, you do not treat them as a 'weaker' person.    What does it mean for the husband to bestow honor?  :-)

Blessings, Carla

Food for thought to all in this discussion:

Could part of the problem be in the understanding of what leaderrship means. To the average person it implies "boss." In Scripture we see a different view of what leadership is. Jesus set the example of the type of leadership that the Scripture is referring to. Any want to tackle that concept of leadership and then apply it to the marriage as Christ applied it to the church?

Lord Bless,

LT

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service