All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

We often see people existing in one extreme or another. There are some who would ignore doctrine for the sake of unity, but can there really be unity in the body if doctrine (teaching found in God's Word) is ignored? There is another group that has taken mere prefernces and elevated them to the level of doctrine, at least in their teaching. An example of this can be the style of worship. Some are more demonstrative than others, but neither is wrong if the heart is right. Style of worship is a preference, not a doctrine.

What do you think about the importance of sound doctrine in one's life and in the church? Have you seen things that are preferences turned into doctrine? If so, give an example, but leave names and organization names out of the comment. How do we stay centered on Christ in the midst of the chaos?

Lord Bless,

LT

Views: 2523

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree!!!

Hi LT, God bless!

I have 3 Bible versions at home. Sometimes if I don't understand a verse, I will seek a different Bible version to help. As long as it doesn't twist around the meaning of the verse. I think it's okay to look at different Bible versions (concordances too) to gain more understanding. I like Biblos.com. Recently I had this verse which I couldn't figure out. Biblos had a Bible version I've never heard of, but the translation made sense to me. I think it's important to keep trying until the verse becomes clear.

I've been in a fellowship that I wanted to say some hallelujahs, and I was told to shush. I was too demonstrative for them. Still another group raised holy hands and shouted for two hours. It was like that every week. I had to sit down. God looks on the heart.

Numbers was in my classes not that long ago so it's fresh in my brain. I love this.

(Numbers 11:24-29)

24So Moses went out and told the people what the Lord had said. He brought together seventy of their elders and had them stand around the Tent. 25Then the Lord came down in the cloud and spoke with him, and he took of the Spirit that was on him and put the Spirit on the seventy elders. When the Spirit rested on them, they prophesied, but they did not do so again.b

26However, two men, whose names were Eldad and Medad, had remained in the camp. They were listed among the elders, but did not go out to the Tent. Yet the Spirit also rested on them, and they prophesied in the camp. 27A young man ran and told Moses, “Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp.”

28Joshua son of Nun, who had been Moses’ aide since youth, spoke up and said, “Moses, my lord, stop them!”

29But Moses replied, “Are you jealous for my sake? I wish that all the Lord’s people were prophets and that the Lord would put his Spirit on them!” 30Then Moses and the elders of Israel returned to the camp.

Love,

Mary

Mary,

Do you think this was preferences or doctrinal beliefs motivating these people?

Roy, Me Dad ( my Dad) was able to prophesy, too. He told me once that I was going to grow up to be a very difficult person to get along with. I think Joshua preferred that Medad and Eldad be quiet. What about your Dad? Sometimes I preferred my Dad to be quiet.

I think you have a little bit too much of that stuff. However, that is a good one.

Stuff? Did you know that many comedians have clinical depression? Do you remember Richard Jeni? He got a standing ovation during his last act and no one knew he was in agony as he stood there in the spotlight smiling and making people laugh … until 11 days later he killed himself. That was in 2007, I think. He was very depressed. I know this is off topic ... but you asked before if all depressed people had a sense of humor. I think maybe they have just learned to look at life as if it is all just one big joke … but sadly the joke is on them.

Amanda,

I don't know how you come up with these kinds of things. My mind just doesn't come up with things like Me dad. We have an English teacher in our school that does the same thing. She comes up with things like that. I wish I had that kind of sense of humor.

Actually, Me dad is now with the Lord. But he was quite a character when he was here. I surely do miss him.

I think maybe it's preference because it's cultural, two different cultures. 

this preferences vs. doctrine has been a hard one for me. 

when i first got saved i quickly got sidetracked in groups who put preferences (like wearing skirts only, wearing no make up, men wear beards, women wear headcoverings etc) in the place of doctrine. it was to the point that i started looking at women who wore make-up to church and i'd wonder if they were really saved. terrible place to be. 

so i lost a lot of time i think, and now have gone back to the basics, trying to determine the basic doctrines of the bible.

jenny

I too am taking steps to return to simple Christianity in my life and the church I pastor.

Lord BLess,

LT

LT,

Please feel free to delete this post. I grew up in a church that taught that only those who spoke in tongues were filled with the Holy Spirit. I became a pastor and taught the same as doctrine. However, the more I read the Scripture I began to realize that IMO the Bible did not teach that. I thought for sure everyone would see that and be willing to not make me teach that. Was I ever wrong. In my church I received a very strong negative reaction for the decision to quit teaching that everyone had to speak in tongues to only some spoke in tongues. I think this is an example of preferences becoming doctrine. However, I realize this is a hot topic but it is one that needlessly separates people.

Another doctrine that I believe separates is the "once saved always saved." I personally do believe that my salvation is secure. When I was told that I either had to teach tongues as the initial evidence of the infilling of the Spirit or leave, I left. I became a Baptist. Everyone there had the once saved always saved doctrine. Even though I do believe in the security of the believer, I quickly noticed that most of the people in the church I was attending had no idea why they believed that. For them, that position was a preference rather than a personal doctrine born out of personal Bible study. Again, it needlessly separates. Most of the differences in this area are not critical.

I wonder about transubstantiation. Should that be doctrine? Why are we so separate? I think you have the reason. Much of our doctrine is based on preference. Many people believe what they believe simply because that is what their parents believe and the reason their parents believe what they do is because their parents do. I have no answer just observations.

Maybe we make our doctrines too complicated. But, they are very important. Could we just get rid of those doctrines that separate us? Some doctrines are extremely critical to the faith. Others are not. I think the problem is with the leadership. When I questioned the doctrine of tongues, it seemed I had just committed the unpardonable sin even though they recognized the faith of those who did not have that belief.

No answer here.

Delete it? This is the kind of input I am looking for, to identify some of the areas where preference has become doctrine in man's mind. IMO too many have turned preferences into doctrine and this tends to cause major division in the church.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service