All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

These photos are from a month long trip to Florida and a two-week Caribbean cruise most of May of 2012 as a graduation and farewell gift for my German friend Annea as she prepared to return home to Stuttgart, Germany to begin working on her Doctorate. She had never seen the ocean and tropics before. In November, she would return to the area on her honeymoon. I will try to stay with the nature theme along with adding a few general photos of interest. Sunrise and sunset photos from the trip are posted at the end of the discussion "The Glory of Scenery touched by our God".

Views: 1999

Replies to This Discussion

Sunrise the 18th we returned to a strip of beach that looked promising for shell collecting; you can see the yellow line of washed up seaweed and kelp. We had about 4 hours of collecting before the ship was departing so we made the most of it. Many of the shells were the same as Jamaica, but also there were many different ones.  We weren't the only ones collecting shells, a local family was there before us that had a souvenir shop was collecting shells to sell had already made a sweep for larger and rarer shells. We did get half a bucket of shells  under 2 inches.

And half a bucket of shells 2+ inches.

They gave us directions to their shop since they said they had small collections of various shells made up, so we went there and bought 5 of these gifts baskets 1 for each of us, 1 for our Amish neighbors, and one for each of Annea's two friends Lisa and Marie who were taking care of the dogs and cat and housesitting for us while we gone.

We bought two Caribbean Cone sets from the shop since they are fairly rare and very sought after.

And we bought two Caribbean Cowrie set from a shop since they are also uncommon and popular.

We made it back to the ship with about 15 minutes to spare; the crew had gotten used to us being among the last to board at each stop. So off we went at noon with expected arrival at Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas on the 23rd.

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, 23rd
Capital of the US Virgin Islands and a lovely place. With only 3 days left to the trip we both were wearing down so we mostly relaxed during the stay here. We also were becoming a bit pensive since in two weeks Annea and I would be parting our ways.  First we took a few hours to see the city, this photo is of the skylift to reach the upper parts of the port: note the 3 cruise ships, ours, a Carnival Lines, and a Disney Line: a very popular stop.

View across the bay at sea level.

Photo Magen's bay beach that a passerby agreed to take with my far simpler camera. One of only a handful of photos of Annea and I together. While being washed over by the waves, we came to agree that in another time or if our timelines weren't so different, we certainly would have married and raised a house full of little heathens.

After our beach time, or because of it, we went back to the ship for lunch and, well, to start the two week process of saying goodbye. Afterwards, we headed back to town to go see Coral World, the very nice aquarium of St. Thomas. Here Annea makes nice with a small Manta Ray.

Here she pets a baby shark in a small holding tank.

Omar the sea lion was friendly and hungry for the small fish we bought from a vendor.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service