All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

These photos are from a month long trip to Florida and a two-week Caribbean cruise most of May of 2012 as a graduation and farewell gift for my German friend Annea as she prepared to return home to Stuttgart, Germany to begin working on her Doctorate. She had never seen the ocean and tropics before. In November, she would return to the area on her honeymoon. I will try to stay with the nature theme along with adding a few general photos of interest. Sunrise and sunset photos from the trip are posted at the end of the discussion "The Glory of Scenery touched by our God".

Views: 2000

Replies to This Discussion

Over the three trips we would find 6, 3 each of us; Annea's 1st one was the biggest and she also found 2 more that were slightly broken at the gum part; I found 1 broken and this perfect black 2.25 inch one about 5 minutes before we started the drive home the 26th. She made a lovely silver wire wrapped choker and pendant with her monster tooth. (After her honeymoon last November with Brandt to Florida and the islands, I asked if she got any more teeth, and she said: "Oh no, I didn't take him there, that was your and mine special treasure spot".)

Oldsmar Flea Market
Last stop of the Florida tour was to take Annea inland from Palm Harbor to the Oldsmar outdoor/indoor fleamarket complex. It is the larges flea market in Florida with over 1200 shops and booths, takes almost a full day to see it all.  You can find local fruit and veggies, beach clothing hats, sunglasses, furniture, books, paintings, old video games, 8 tracks antiques and about everything in between. I used to go every few weeks and pick up all sorts of things, a lot that I could use in my art. Photo is of the main entrance.

On the drive to Ohio I mentioned to Annea to not talk about us from being from Ohio, especially in the 20 mile area where General Phil Sheridan and William T. Sherman was born.  She wasn't up on too much of US history but knew a few basics about the civil war.  At the flea market she got an idea of why I told her to not let on where we were from. This was one of the nicer bumper stickers for sale about us Yankees.

Lot's of used book stalls, but no time that day to browse; too bad, I picked up a lot of classic books cheap hen I used to go there.

Lots of tropical clothing, hats, visors, sunglasses so we stocked up for the cruise.

$10 for the Nintendo Family Boy Game System (released beween nes and snes) , never used in the sealed box. One of the early stems I was missing in my collection so bought one.

Well, I said you could find anything here. Need a toilet paper dispenser being held by an angel? A bit too much for my tastes.

Food
Last a few photos of some of the dinner dishes that we enjoyed as I was giving Annea a sampling of the local seafood.
This was broiled scallops in butter with veggies and mashed potatos.

And broiled buttered flounder stuffed with a crab meat salad stuffing.

And Broiled shrimp in butter.

And a huge serving of Louisiana style boiled shrimp, potatos & corn served with a cup each of melted butter, tartar sauce and horseradish shrimp sauce along with corn fritters (deep fried balls of garlic flavored dough) and a pitcher of ice cold tea.
During the Florida part of the trip all we ate was salads, fruit and seafood, usually broiled, no red meat or poultry at all. Annea developed what will be a lifelong love for seafood the way it was meant to be. After returning to Germany, she learned to cook many of the dishes we had, although it was using frozen, not fresh seafood.

And the Flea Market brings to an end the Florida part of our trip. That night we headed down to the port of Ft. Lauderdale and stayed at a hotel for a noon departure on the cruise ship. Annea had enjoyed visiting many of my old haunts, but most of all enjoyed the simplest parts of collecting the seashells and fossil shark teeth. A very happy and contented Annea and she had wonderful ways of showing her thanks for me.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service