All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

These photos are from a month long trip to Florida and a two-week Caribbean cruise most of May of 2012 as a graduation and farewell gift for my German friend Annea as she prepared to return home to Stuttgart, Germany to begin working on her Doctorate. She had never seen the ocean and tropics before. In November, she would return to the area on her honeymoon. I will try to stay with the nature theme along with adding a few general photos of interest. Sunrise and sunset photos from the trip are posted at the end of the discussion "The Glory of Scenery touched by our God".

Views: 1999

Replies to This Discussion

Mostly ripe coffee beans ready to be picked and shipped to the Falmouth processing factory.

Annea captured this gorgeous photo of a Jamaican Oriel on a hanging orchid at the plantation.

Up before dawn the 15th, on board the ship we had a hearty breakfast of ham, pancakes smothered with a Florida pancake glaze and whipped cream, we put on our old sneakers, big straw hats and sunglasses, and our buckets and bags to go beachcombing for seashells and such. About midnight 4 hours of a series small tropical storms (squalls) had hit the area from offshore so we figured we should be able to get some nice shells. So back to the small cove of Winnifred Beach we went. Lot's of seaweed had washed up along the way and we poked in them and found a few, mostly broken shells. The cove beach was really heavy with seaweed and driftwood so we started wading a bit out. Photo here is Annea is standing knee deep in 2 feet of water: the water was so calm and clear you can see the knotwork detail on her Celtic toe rings).

Jamaica Smaller shells, 1-2 inch, we got maybe half a 5 gal. bucket of these before we started making really nice finds and stopped picking them up.

And a half bucket of Jamaican Large shells, over 2- 3 inches. We would have continued collection these two batches of regular shells all morning, but Annea saw a prize peeking out of a pile of seaweed on the beach which ended collecting normal shells.

And that was this 10 inch nautilice, a relative of squid and octupii that has an external shell: a true prize of this area.

So, we started poking through the seaweed, flipping over driftwood and keeping an eye on the shallow area of the small surf coming in and out. Our larger finds we made various piles along the beach, smaller ones went into our buckets. This pile was of sea urchins and conch shells (the type we had the meat as grilled steaks the day before). Biggest was about 16 inches long.

Yellow Coral and shells, big coiled center one was 9.5 inches.

Plate size giant clam, barnacle, seahorses, sea urchins,  shells.

This lovely was rolling along by the waves and I grabbed it.

A nice clump of barnacles was waiting for a trip back to Ohio.

My 8 inch nautilice (which rated a "mine's bigger" from Annea), 3 big murex-type whelks and a spiral Turritella type.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service