All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

These photos are from a month long trip to Florida and a two-week Caribbean cruise most of May of 2012 as a graduation and farewell gift for my German friend Annea as she prepared to return home to Stuttgart, Germany to begin working on her Doctorate. She had never seen the ocean and tropics before. In November, she would return to the area on her honeymoon. I will try to stay with the nature theme along with adding a few general photos of interest. Sunrise and sunset photos from the trip are posted at the end of the discussion "The Glory of Scenery touched by our God".

Views: 2000

Replies to This Discussion

Falmouth, Jamaica
Just after sunrise the 14, we arrived in Jamaica for a two day stay. As already written above, I fell in love with Jamaica during my time in the Marines: far away from the wet and cold of Ohio with a beautiful landscape and equally beautiful, clean and courteous people; the food was always excellent and fresh, and the various beverages made from various tropical fruits and Dark Caribbean Rum. After the cruise Annea agreed that our time here was the best of any of the islands.
Photo is the view from port as we docked of part of Falmouth.

Beautful  hand dyed women clothing at a booth at end of dock as we entered town. Annea bought the green/yellow/black one at end, the 3 shades of brown one to it's left, and the red/yellow/green, blue top one with black native wildlife silhouette one by the shiny green one.

Like always, we did a quick walkthrough of the town, then headed out to the surrounding area. This View is from old fort between Old and New Falmouth.

View out from the main beach shoreline, crystal clear water and little waves.

Away from the main tourist beach, Winnifred Beach was a bit rougher, a lot rockier and almost no people, we saw a few shells the 14th, but decided to come back at sunrise the 15th since a storm was forecast that night since that always brings fresh shells ashore.  There was a small, sheltered cover to the left where the shoreline curved where the currents came in from 3 directions and figured that would be a nice spot next morning.

There was a small beach café where we ate a salad and grilled conch (a snail) steaks with local veggies. These three Iguanas as big as cats and hermit crabs were having lunch too at beach café.

Walking along the shoreline, we came to mouth of a small river; there was a collection of shacks there and one family had small long rafts they gave us an hour raft ride up the river for like $5. We gave them $20 after since their oldest son (poling the raft) was saving for college classes and he answered the zillion questions we had about local animals and plants

Inland the raft ride came to the Lower Dunns River Falls were the road was and a tourist bus was there about to take tourists back to town so we hopped on board since we wanted to take a tour of a Blue Mountain coffee plantation the rest of the day. There's like a series of 4 waterfalls that many tourists climb up here, but we wanted to see coffee in its natural state more: we had lot of waterfalls back home.

Back in Falmouth we found the shack outside of town with the local family that ran the tour bus to the Blue Mountain coffee plantation area in the mountains. The tour bus was an ancient VW van with the top long ago torn off and the seats were stuffed with dried grass.  The driver advised us the road was very rough and many sections were nearly washed out and it would take the rest of the day to go and come back. I hesitated a bit, but Annea, always fearless (well, she did take to me for some reason) and insisted we go. So off we went. About halfway up, we learned we had made a good choice. This photo was the view at a small shack along the road selling cold drinks and snacks. That's the river where we road the raft off in the distance.

Almost to the plantation was this stunning view of the Blue Mountains and valley with the Martha Brae River far below

A huge spring & waterfall that irrigated the coffee plantation. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is considered to be the finest coffee in the world by many experts: it is a rich, black thick coffee: you know you are drinking coffee and not some half artificial junk.

Mostly green coffee beans.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service