All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

These photos are from a month long trip to Florida and a two-week Caribbean cruise most of May of 2012 as a graduation and farewell gift for my German friend Annea as she prepared to return home to Stuttgart, Germany to begin working on her Doctorate. She had never seen the ocean and tropics before. In November, she would return to the area on her honeymoon. I will try to stay with the nature theme along with adding a few general photos of interest. Sunrise and sunset photos from the trip are posted at the end of the discussion "The Glory of Scenery touched by our God".

Views: 2000

Replies to This Discussion

Rack of Lamb au jus with veggies.

Roast Duck au jus with 2 cream cheese rice wraps and veggies.

We did the same with the dessert carts as with main course, tried something different every night. This was traditional Key Lime Pie.

Dulce De Leche Cheesecake. Sniff.. Annea distracted me with a kiss, and suddenly I was missing my slice of chocolate. I wonder who took it?

During moving between islands, we took in the many shows that were provided. This was  a live show at ice skating rink.

A performance at the Aqua theater, high diving & water acrobatic shows.

Annea rode the zip line first, down the center of the length of the ship (1,100 feet)

Labadee, Haiti (the 13th)
  Our least favorite stop due to mixed feelings since this was "the land of plenty" amid stark, utter poverty (although the poverty was kept out of site). It is a port and private resort on the North coast of Haiti built by then leased to Royal Caribbean until 2050. Royal Caribbean has contributed the largest tourist  revenues to Haiti since 1986 by operating this port which employs 300 locals and allows another 200 to sell their wares on the premises. In 2009, Royal Caribbean made $55 million improvements to the facilities, including upgrading port facilities to allow docking of their largest cruise ships.and pays the Haitian government $6 per tourist.
  The resort itself is completely artificial tourist-oriented, and is guarded by a private security force on the inside and the Haitian Army on the outside of the property. The site is fenced off from the surrounding area, and passengers are not allowed to leave the property. Food available to tourists is brought from the cruise ships. A controlled group of Haitian merchants are given sole rights to sell their merchandise and establish their businesses in the resort.
  In January 2010 just after the 2010 Haiti earthquake, RC donated $1 million to fund relief efforts in Haiti, and to use cruise ships to ferry relief supplies and personnel.
  Well, the resort itself was nice enough though extremely touristy and artificial; Annea and I pretty much took a quick look around the port facilities then went off and explored the beautiful coastline away from everything and anyone. We found a nice spot away from it all for our blanket and ice chest of drinks, salads and icy boiled shrimp and stayed there reading books about Florida and tropical sea shells until it was time to board the ship at sundown.
  Photo is the main beach as it began to fill with people from our docked ship.

View of the main beach from around the bend when we went exploring the coastline. Note the buoys for the three separate lines of anti-shark nets.

This was a lovely large rock formation in the surf that looked like a Dragon.

Further around the bend, the coast is exposed direct to the full force of ocean waves.

We found a nice spot of sand with trees, rocks, waves away from "civilization" but close enough to hear the various ship horns and signals in case of emergency. We caught up on reading, had an ice chest of cold drinks and munchies (iced shrimp and salad for lunch), took a few naps, some serious snuggling and caught up on rest from the Florida whirlwind tour. The ship provided an outdoor pig roast with native entertainers on the beach that night, but we opted for dinner in the main dining room then a stargazing class on the bow of the ship. The ship departed about 10pm bound for 2 days in Falmouth, Jamaica which I highly anticipated having been there many times from my service in the Marines (from a tour of duty at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and a tour aboard the Navy Caribbean Amphibious Readiness Task Force).

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service