All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

This topic comes up often when discussing other topics. It deserves to be addressed all by itself as it is an important subject.

Are you assured of your salvation? If so, why are you assured?

Lord Bless,

LT

Views: 1218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you LT and Seek, for taking time to help me. I will be rereading

I notice I responded in places here but don't believe I ever actually answered the initial question.  Reading "Can you lose your salvation or your soul", your link to this brought me back over here. 

I was not assured for awhile.  I believe that comes from mindset of believing no one loves us.  We hear about Jesus, we so much want to be loved and give our heart over to Him and try to then believe He loves us.  But having not really known love, when something starts to go wrong, we start to feel unloved all over again.  We've learned to tie what happens to us to whether someone loves us.  Like a husband and wife arguing because he won't pick up his clothes.  She feels unloved by him that he would keep leaving his clothes around for her to have to pick up.  But he loves her so much, it's just that he's forgetful.  And other times we feel unloved because there were truly people in our lives that used their position to hurt us for their own gain.  We have to learn what love really is and that takes time.  We can't just read the Word once and have our minds transformed, but we have it transformed by the "renewing" which is a process.  It doesn't mean a person wasn't saved, they just may have trouble believing it because they're not feeling loved, not seeing the promises manifest in their life, whatever the reason. 

The other point of this "assurance" is I believe the once saved always saved.  People question that since people do "backslide" and the Bible speaks of the backslider.  Here is what I get though from the Scripture taken together:

Luke 9:62 Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."  John Gill's commentary is that it is referring to those in ministry, that they cannot properly minister while engaging in the affairs of the world...not fit to preach the kingdom.  Now I would at first read it just as it sounds, but perhaps Gill is correct in what he is stating especially when I take into account Jeremiah 3:22 where God promises to "heal your backslidings".  

Many turn to Hebrews 6:4-6 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6 if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

They use this to say we're crucifying Jesus again and that's why we can lose our salvation.  But this verse didn't state that it was impossible for those who have once "repented".  It says "enlightened".  Enlightenment is more than just repentance and belief.  If we believe and confess, we're saved.  If we're "enlightened" and turn back, then it's a different matter.  It doesn't state they're no longer saved either, but that they can't be brought back to repentance.  They will face judgment yet they "will escape even though as one escaping through the flames".   1 Corinthians 3:15

Anyway.  You know I asked on this subject myself quite a bit, but this is the conclusion I've drawn from it.  I'm going to post this bit of Scripture over in Kristie's discussion as well. 

8 This Grace was given to me —the least of all the saints —to proclaim to the Gentiles the incalculable Riches of The Messiah, 9 and to shed light for all about the administration of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things. 10 This is so God’s multi-faceted Wisdom may now be made known through the church to the rulers and authorities in the heavens. 11 This is according to His eternal purpose accomplished in The Messiah, Jesus our Lord. 12 In Him we have boldness and confident access through faith in Him. Eph 3:8-12

14 For this reason I kneel before the Father 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is Named. 16 I pray that He may grant you, according to the Riches of His Glory, to be strengthened with power in the inner man through His Spirit, 17 and that The Messiah may dwell in your hearts through faith. I pray that you, being rooted and firmly established in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the length and width, height and depth of God’s Love, 19 and to know The Messiah’s Love that surpasses knowledge, so you may be filled with all the fullness of God. 20 Now to Him Who is able to do above and beyond all that we ask or think according to the Power that works in us— 21 to Him be Glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen Eph 3:14-21

We require “to be strengthened with power in the inner man through His Spirit.” And that through faith Jesus our Messiah dwells in our hearts.  As Paul continues to Pray we see what we must ask for in Prayer.  To be “rooted and firmly established in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the length and width, height and depth of God’s Love, and to know The Messiah’s Love that surpasses knowledge, so you may be filled with all the fullness of God.”  I find it interesting that with Jesus in our hearts, and The Spirit strengthen our spirits we are able to comprehend God’s Love.  At the same time The Messiah’s Love surpasses knowledge.  Which I believe shows us, through faith in Jesus we are able to comprehend God’s Love and know The Messiah’s Love, which I do not know the difference.  Yet we see this Love goes so far past our own knowledge, or what we can figure out on our own.  To comprehend and to know this Love which surpasses knowledge, shows in part I think how we are taught things of God.  Through faith in Jesus by Him and The Spirit, from Instruction from The Father.  To have The Mind of Christ is to have the ability to know God as He desires us to know Him.

Or in short, I know because He has shown me how to and given me the ability to  Believe.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service