All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I read this today and liked it.  I would like to know what "You" think about the title and the article, does it have biblical truth?

by Chris Roberts on December 31, 2009

But the Lord has said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.” Acts 9:15-16

We are inclined to choose the easy path. When faced with a decision about the Lord’s will we let potential hardship sway our choice. But God had determined that Paul’s path would run through hardship and suffering. He is a chosen instrument of mine, declared the Lord, to carry my name… Paul would carry the name of Christ through many lands but in the process he must suffer for the sake of my name.

There are times when God calls for his children to suffer. Sometimes the suffering comes from forces we cannot avoid: a hurricane, an earthquake, the wickedness of others. But sometimes we are called to put ourselves in the path of suffering. We go to lands where Christianity is outlawed, carrying our possessions in a coffin for we know this is a one-way trip. We move into the inner city to bring light into the darkness. We visit housing projects to share the love of Christ. And we give up fame, fortune, and prestige, all for the glory of God.

In Peru there is a native Quechua pastor named Joshua Sauñe spreading the gospel among people scattered throughout the Andes mountains. He once said, “I do not always understand missionaries. They come in but leave when troubles grow. I want to ask them, ‘What, are you afraid of going to Heaven?’”

Christian, the Lord does not always call you to easy things. He will often call you to suffer for the sake of his name. But do not let such hardships stop you from obeying the Lord’s will. Live instead like those saints in Hebrews 11:16 who desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.

This world is not my home and in the Lord I find my comfort and safety. Therefore I will follow him wherever he leads, even if it be through the valley of the shadow of death.

Listen to this message: http://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/surprised_by_suffering/sufferi...

Views: 418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Char -

I agree with you that exchanging the verbiage and using the one you bring up is extremely helpful, which consequently changes a negative into a positive, hence turning an un-pleasurable thing into a joy.

That is why the word says:

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, James 1:2

Matthew 5:12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Romans 5:3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;

James 1:12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

James 5:11 As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

1 Peter 1:6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.

Char-

Whatever helps us overcome the flesh - is a "GOOD THING."  

Thanks for sharing my brother.

Let me come at this from a different angle. We, as Christians, are called to walk in alignment with God day by day. In this journey we call life we will at times travel through times of suffering and persecution at varying degrees of intinsity amd length. Therefore, it is not that we are called to suffer, per say, but rather we are called to walk with Christ wherever that path leads us on our journey.

Lord Bless,

LT

LT....

Great comment!

Blessings.....

Rita

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service