All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

We have all heard people say that they do not believe the bible to be the word of God, but the words of imperfect men, because is full of contradiction. When these same folks are asked to point to one, many have trouble coming up with one. Others point to passages that do indeed appear as genuine contradictions, but are they?

I remember finding many apparent contradictions during my studies, but studying the text and context closer led me to find sound explanations for them.

To start: what is a contradiction? We must first establish what constitutes a contradiction because way too many people call something a contradiction, when there is no contradiction there.

Contradiction (NOUN)  1.something illogical: something that has aspects that are illogical or inconsistent with each other.

From:http://carm.org/dictionary-law-of-non-contradiction

Law of non-contradiction

The Law of non-contradiction is one of the basic laws in classical logic.  It states that something cannot be both true and not true at the same time when dealing with the same context.  For example, the chair in my living room, right now, cannot be made of wood and not made of wood at the same time.  In the law of non-contradiction, where we have a set of statements about a subject, we cannot have any of the statements in that set negate the truth of any other statement in that same set.  For example, we have a set of two statements about Judas. 1) Judas hung himself.  2) Judas fell down and his bowels spilled out.  Neither statement about Judas contradicts the other.  That is, neither statement makes the other impossible because neither excludes the possibility of the other.  The statements can be harmonized by stating: Judas hung himself and then his body fell down and his bowels spilled out.

Share an apparent contradiction you have found and are having trouble reconciling or share an apparent contradiction and the reason why the passages do not constitute a legitimate contradiction. A discussion dealing with apparent contradictions can quickly become hard to follow, so let’s do our best to try to keep an order. Let’s try not to move on from an apparent contradiction until we have solved it.

Views: 903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes good points to keep in mind. thanks for the parallel bible translation link

Exodus 20:4 and Exodus 25:18
Ephesians 2:8-9 and James 2:24

Amanda,

"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. Exodus 20:4

We should not make for our selves anything with the purpose of worshiping them.

And make two cherubim out of hammered gold at the ends of the cover. Exodus 25:18

The Cherubims were not to be worship. They were just an image of the immediate surroundings of the throne of God.

Ephesians 2:8-9

8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast

We are not saved by works, but by grace alone.

James 2:24

You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

We see, with our eyes, that a person is justified by the works they do, because a born again person will have works, so works are an evidence of an internal change.

To study "Grace" is to discovered among many things that we will forever be amazed and speechless before a HOLY God who loves us in ways we do not fully comprehend.

My bro Chip,

I have never found a genuine contradiction in the Word, but I have sure found a bunch of apparent contradictions. It is a good thing and worthwhile to be able to reconciled them. 

Blessings

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service