All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

My Name is Pride. I am a cheater.
I cheat you of your God-given destiny...because
you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment...because you "deserve better than this."
I cheat you of knowledge...because you already know it all.
I cheat you of healing...because you're too full of me to forgive.
I cheat you of holiness...because you refuse to admit when you're wrong.
I cheat you of vision...because
you'd rather look in a mirror than out a window.
I cheat you of genuine friendship...because
nobody's going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love...because real romance demands sacrifice.
I cheat you of greatness in heaven...because
you refuse to wash another's feet on earth.
I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince you to seek your own.
My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
You like me because you think I'm always looking our for you. Untrue.
I'm looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry....
If you'll stick with me
You'll never know.

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
Proverbs 16:18

This is part of a bible study I am doing. I wanted to share it with you all.
Many blessings...Your sister in Christ...carla

ps--If you want..just answer these personallly for yourself, and then comment on what you thought of it. OR--post your answers here,

1. Share if you would like the most embarrassing moment or funniest thing that ever happened to you (with discretion)

2. Take the Pride Test.

Self Centered
vs.
God Centered.

"I want it my way"
(vs)
Your will be done.

Is easily swayed by others opinions
(vs)
Focuses on Pleasing God

Is Rigid and Opinionated
(vs)
Is flexible and open to other people's ideas

Gets Huffy and defensive if criticised
(vs)
Doesn't take critcism personally;
listen's and responds if appropriate

Hungers to be admired and Praised
(vs)
May enjoy Praise but doesn't need
it; can work behind scenes, lets others
have limelight.

Makes sure others notice good works demands credit
(vs)
Performs good deeds without advertising them

Has Power issues; uses other people
(vs)
Is always concerned about the common good

Indulges self; makes personal comfort a priority
(vs)
Willing to sacrifice personal comfort

Feels little need of God and is Proud of self Sufficiency
(vs)
Looks daily to God for help

Practices entitlement thinking: "I deserve this--I'm worth it"
(vs)
Practises Gratitude Thinking:"I don't deserve this-but I'm Thankful

Easily Offended, nurtures resentment
(vs)
Forgives Quickly and completely, Gives ongoing hurts to God.

Inflexible, finds it hard to spring back from disappoints
(vs)
Resilient; able to rise above disappointments and
use them creatively.

Responds to problems with self-pity
(vs)
Responds to problems with healthy perspective.

Tends to excuse her own sin while condeming the sins of others
(vs)
Acknowledges ones own sinful tendencies, and those of others,
but accepts and extends God's grace to herself and others.

Obsesses about own obvious failures
(vs)
Accepts God's forgiveness and moves on.

Resents responsibilites and the lack of peace that often accompanies them
(vs)
Know's life struggles will not disturb inner peace

Loves People who love them
(vs)
Feels God's heart toward all humanity; is able to love the unlovable.

3. Look up the word HUMBLE in a concordance. Find two verses that speak to you and write them out.

4. Read Micah 6:8

Using the following Prompts, write a prayer describing how you want, with the Lord's help---to display the qualities this verse recommends.

Lord, I want to act Justly by ___________________________
I want to show I love Mercy by _________________________
I want to walk humbly by ______________________________

On Humility--Andrew Murray Writes this:

Humility is perfect quietness of heart. It is to expect nothing, to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing done against me. It is to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed or despised. It is to have a blessed home in the Lord, where I can go in and shut the door, and kneel to my Father in secret, and am at peace as in a deep sea of calmness, when all around and above is trouble.

Views: 220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are welcome Rix.

Isn't it amazing that when we come to know Christ the conversations we have with other Christ followers just come alive. There is so much life in each word that is spoken, because we are in Christ, and He is in us. I Praise God for that. I just pray for people who are lost..if they could only just get a glimpse of the Joyful freedom which is to be found in the Lord..they too would come!

God Bless you..Your sister in Christ~Carla
This comentary by Matthew Henry really helped me to understand what Micah 6:8
means to me as a Christian

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
(Micah 6:6-8) These verses seem to contain the substance of Balak's consultation with Balaam how to obtain the favour of Israel's God.
Deep conviction of guilt and wrath will put men upon careful inquiries after peace and pardon, and then there begins to be some ground for hope of them.
In order to God's being pleased with us, our care must be for an interest in the atonement of Christ, and that the sin by which we displease him may be taken away.
What will be a satisfaction to God's justice?
In whose name must we come, as we have nothing to plead as our own?
In what righteousness shall we appear before him?
The proposals betray ignorance, though they show zeal.
They offer that which is very rich and costly.
Those who are fully convinced of sin, and of their misery and danger by reason of it, would give all the world, if they had it, for peace and pardon.
Yet they do not offer aright. The sacrifices had value from their reference to Christ; it was impossible that the blood of bulls and goats should take away sin.

And all proposals of peace, except those according to the gospel, are absurd. They could not answer the demands of Divine justice, nor satisfy the wrong done to the honour of God by sin, nor would they serve at all in place of holiness of the heart and reformation of the life.
Men will part with any thing rather than their sins; but they part with nothing so as to be accepted of God, unless they do part with their sins.

Moral duties are commanded because they are good for man.
In keeping God's commandments there is a great reward, as well as after keeping them.
God has not only made it known, but made it plain.
The good which God requires of us is, not the paying a price for the pardon of sin and acceptance with God, but love to himself; and what is there unreasonable, or hard, in this?
Every thought within us must be brought down, to be brought into obedience to God, if we would walk comfortably with him.
We must do this as penitent sinners, in dependence on the Redeemer and his atonement.
Blessed be the Lord that he is ever ready to give his grace to the humble, waiting penitent.
My dear Carla, reading this, I am telling you know, I am guilty, I can't run away, because God sees right through us. If one look at oneself, we will sit still and wonder, where do I fit in? I'm I guilty or not, but I think most of all is guilty.

EMBARRASSING MOMENT: My one boss always ask me about my financial situation, and he knows what I'm going through. An e-mail that was send to somebody else, reached my mailbox. But... the mail was also meant for me as I needed the names for Health and Safety Representatives to attend the course. And the mail he send was: "any luch with your purse", which I thought he asked me about my money situation, whereupon I replied, that i don't have a purse anymore, and I thought by myself, I wonder whether this mail was meant for me or not. But.. .then I left it. 5 minutes later the man came to me, asked if he could check my mails, and I said to myself, here were go. And he laughed and told me the mail regarding the purse wasn't meant for me, but thank you, I understand your situation.
Hey, I felt very bad, cause he also told my other bosses.

My sister, sometimes we just need to acknowledge that we are guilty, God is there for us, He forgives.
Thank you my dear sister, I came to realise that I need to work on certain things in my life.
God bless
Sylvia
This is a good one to resurrect. Got to go to church now but I will erase this comment and share in a bit. :)
Hey David.

Thanks for bringing this one back up... It most definitely is a good one to resurrect..

Blessings bro.. Carla
My dear sister Carla,

Please do not post my life story on these forums.
Dear Imperator..

.. It is very convicting for all of us. Thank God Jesus shows us another way, and He has great compassion for us for what we have fallen into.....and He shows us the way out.

Love in Christ, Carla
It is so hard to look at the pride test and still see how many of those things mentioned about pride still want to come up in my life. I am seeing that there is a a human obligation to cooperate with the Holy Spirit to free us from pride. It is the greatest enemy of pride for us to stay humble and submitted to the Spirit.

Ok here goes my most embarrassing moment. This one could have been on the show, the dumbest criminals ever. I was 18, so that should explain some of my insanity.

I was walking out of the gym with my best friend and of course as usual we were high. When he tells me, dude the Lakers are playing tonight in about 5 minutes and we are going to miss it. We were about 15 miles from the house. I replied by saying don't trip we'll make it in time. So we jump in my car and I decided to run every single stop sign and light from there to my house. It was just another thing to do. I had driven on the sidewalks, raced trains, and busted U turns on the freeway before, so this was no big deal. When I am two miles from the house I notice I had 2 nark cars following me along 3 regular black and white cars. Then I looked ahead and saw the entire street had been block off. I was heading to a barracked and had 5 cars behind me, so I had no choice but to stop.

I had long hair at the time down to my chest. Well, when I was down on the ground and the cops were picking me up by my hair and my handcuffs and were asking me, why are you running? What did you do? Who did you shoot or what did you rob? haahahahahah I felt so silly.

I told them I was just running late on the Lakers game, man they got really mad hahahaahah and kick my butt for being so silly. hahaahahah then they told me, well you are really gonna be late now. hahahaahha

Hey - I made it to half time. Oh my Lord I was very silly. That was an expensive ticket and a very embarrassing court date.

Ok I am not taking that test in public hahaha I am not gonna tell on my self hehe I will share one of my poems instead that deals with pride, ok? ok :)

MICROSCOPIC INTRICACIES

Stop; construe how it is that there are entire galaxies we have never seen,
No! Not the ones in the universe,
but in our finger tips;
yet we are so pompous,
arrogant and selfish,
like we know everything.

In the pride of our heart we say, "I am a god” hahaha

Oh the human pride does not welcome liberty.

Pride the origin of pain is to be pulverized and diluted by humbleness,
but trituratering pride is the most difficult thing.
Its capacity to morph is full of flexibility, like Gumby you all.

Oh to levigate, reduce, identify and compartmentalize pride individually,
so it can be targeted in its countless forms,
may well be the only way to obliterate the monster roaming for thousands of years in the minds and hearts of every human being.

Intellectual prowess which catapults some to be renowned for their skilful use of astute observation and deductive reasoning in exquisite microscopic intricacies should humble us, not make us prideful kids. Hahaha
by David Velasquez©
David what a story! We have all done silly stupid things if we have lived long enough. Our pride just provokes us to do really stupid stuff trying to make us think that because we are the man that even if everyone before us has gotten caught, still pride convinces us that we can do it and get away with it. This happened to another David in the Bible and man did his pride get him into a lot of trouble that led him into all kinds of sin.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. 1John 2:16

The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks and make your home on the heights, you who say to yourself, 'Who can bring me down to the ground?' Obidiah 1:3
Loot at you now David.....a man after God's own Heart.. :)
hmmm.. somehow my 'k' in 'look' looks mysteriously like a 't'. :)

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service