All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I am a born again christian and have been in church my entire life. I married a preachers son about ten years ago and it has had a profound effect on my beliefs. I know this probably sounds really strange and I do not understand it at all but I am deeply troubled by it. I know what the bible would instruct me to do but I am doubting so much in my spirit right now that I am even doubting the accuracy of the bible. I have always had a very deep relationship with the Lord and I am not doubting God, or am I? I do believe in God and always have but it is with "church" and "religion" that I am having the problem. Since I married my husband and started attending church with him, where his father preaches, the church has become all about numbers, money, judgment and gossip whereas it had always been about worship for me. I wonder if the church has stifled my spirit and why is that? Maybe I am too close to the inner workings of the church, I don't know. I have prayed about this but I am really having a lot of trouble getting over this hump. Maybe someone else has been through this and can help me with it. I would also like to ask for prayer that God will light my path and show me his way.
In his Love,
Sony

Views: 196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amen!
Hi Mark,

Fellowship is incredibly important. We are to be in relationship with Jesus first, but also with eachother. It is easy to go and worship off by ourselves...but there is very little growth that way. Jesus only went off by himself to 'recharge the battery of His soul' so that He would live out of the overflow of God's Love. He of coarse is God...but He did this to model to us the importance of doing the same thing.

Here at AllAboutGod many people are experiencing just such a fellowship. While I was in fellowship just yesterday, one of my 'brothers' brought to memory the imoprtance of the book of Acts. It is a great place to start when studying the importance of fellowship. It is what we should be striving for.

I encourage you to study the importance of fellowship, and with that, finding a mentor or even an accountability partner. I encourage you to also find fellowship opportunities where you are. God is amazing, He will provide!

Blessings, Carla
I have to agree with Carla regarding this. I have posted more in the forum on Church Membership, and will not repeat it here.

LT
Hi Preacher,
Do you know Bruxy?
I have been very upset with my Church since I was young. There was the "you didn't give enough money in your envelope so you will be expelled from school", "You always were picked for lead roles in Christmas plays because of your voice, but we will not thank you or congratulate you because you're not white"....

At that time, I didn't think to call to Jesus, I just stopped going to Church all together, but, since I loved to sing, I would escape to a beautiful part of my neighborhood and sing to God...ALONE. I was never good with a fellowship, I was pretty introverted, but I'm slowly discovering the fellowship here and will be searching for a good Church. Right now, I'm thinking that I really don't care what everyone else thinks of me, only what Jesus thinks of me. Knowing this I feel very comfortable with myself and with others.

And, what about confession? Is it appropriate to tell man our troubles and asking forgiveness when we can pray to Jesus, Himself, and do this? I have a hard time accepting this.

God Bless You All
Nancy :)
The hurts of the past can be stumbling blocks in our present that hinders us from becoming all that God wants us to be. Praise God your past is being set aside and you are seeking to walk in the freshness of Jesus. No church gathering will ever be perfect, because we are imperfect people in the flesh. Love Jesus and others, but know that we serve Him, not man.

Confessing to others for forgivness of sin has two important aspects. 1) I should confess my sin and ask for forgiveness if the sin was perpetuated against an individual or group (Mat 5:23-24). I should ask them to forgive me. In this I am not going to God through them, but obeying God's word regarding them. 2) We never need to go through any man or woman to get to the Father in prayer. No one stands in the place of advocate for you except Jesus Himself. Read Hebrews 4 and especially verse 16.

May the Lord God guide your steps to a place ot truth, love and acceptance.

Lord Bless,
LT
Thank you, LT, for your response.

And, yes, I do agree with you that no church gathering is perfect and I should think more about my worshipping to Christ and not worrying about politics of the church. And I should not feel saddened by church conducts because I know that Jesus is my protector. I am, though, really saddened. A co-worker of mine is a member of one particular church where the pastor had a difficult life, dealing with certain politics of the church that he did not agree with, and ended up walking into the church and started shooting during a fundraiser.

A church should be a place of peace and praise, but lately, it has been the opposite. Even though I would love to have a fellowship within a church it will take me some time to find a church that I can call "home". I know Jesus will help me find a good church.

God Bless You & Your Family, LT!
Hello Nancy,
I know how you are feeling because I've been right where you are. I was raised in the Catholic Church but my parents and Grandparents instilled in me the wonderful need for Jesus in my life. I sing in our choir only because my wife and daughter convinced me I should "because I have a nice voice they said". But, my singing is a gift from God for praising and glorifying his name not the church I belong to. I have sung for 17 years now. In that time I have seen many people come and go. Our choir is like a "family" made up of men, women, young and old. There have been people I have found very hard to like. Let alone Love as God asks us to. But, I reach out in those moments to God in those times. I know that the word of God will give me the answers I need. The Holy Spirit is the compass. The Bible is the map. God is the Captain of my ship.
Sometimes our "human" weakness is more than we can stand and satan steers people off course. Families are like that. Sometimes people we Love so much hurt us so bad we don't think we can recover. The Holy Spirit is with us at all times. Let the Spirit guide you to the word of God. Only God can answer our most painful questions.
Confession; I too have a problem with confessing to a man. I have confessed my sins to Jesus and will continue to do so. I can say that trust is a big issue. But, we need to get to know the people who lead our churchs no matter what denomination we are. You don't have to confess to your parish priest. Fellowship with other members of your church might help you find another if that is what you wish.
Fellowship, sharing yourself with others can seem hard. But you would be surprised how many others feel the same way you do. You don't know unless you ask. I Love Jesus with all my heart. I trust in him without doubt. My dear sister Nancy I can hear the Hope in your writing. I am happy to be able to share with you my words. For many years I suffered low self-esteem. Jesus has changed all that. I am blessed with many "little blessings" everyday. Stay with Jesus in your life every moment of every day and he will get you where you need to be. Remember this is all part of God's plan for us. May you grow with God's Love every day. It is said that when you sing prayers it counts as double the grace. Keep on singing my friend.
May God Bless
journeymanhd
Journeymanhd,

We have so much in common...lol! I love to sing and have sung many years with my dad's band.

I have sung in the choir all through middle school and a part of high school. Since my baby walks with Jesus, I have gotten rid of all my hip-hop, dance music and replaced them with Christian music (I especially love music from PLANET SHAKERS). I definitely missed singing in the choir. I have never felt so much peace and happiness until I would sing a song about Baby Jesus at Christmas time. Throughout my years, the only memory of my childhood that I felt most happiest, healthiest, and peaceful was when I was performing in school plays at Christmas held at my church.

I am so happy that you shared your story with me! I am living every moment of every day with Jesus and life is just getting better and better. It's not perfect and I know it will never be perfect, but I am very happy nonetheless. Right now, I'm reading (actually listening on my CD player), God's Word. I trust in Jesus that he will lead me to my new church. As for confession, only Jesus will hear them. I cannot accept going through man to ask for forgiveness from my Lord.

And, I like to thank everyone here, on this site, that has helped me to understand everything about Jesus and myself. I may not send many e-mails to my friends listed or respond to many of the posts here, but I do want everyone to know that I do read many, absorb what is written, learn, pray, and then apply. My fellowship began here. I feel that Jesus is working through all of us to help each other. God bless you and I love you all.

Hugs,

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service