All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I am starting this discussion so that there is a clear understanding of how the bible addresses such issues.

Here are some places to start this discussion:
Isaiah 47:12
'Now use your magical charms!
Use the spells you have worked at all these years!
Maybe they will do you some good.
Maybe they can make someone afraid of you.
All the advice you receive has made you tired.
Where are all your astrologers,
those stargazers who make predictions each month?
Let them stand up and save you from what the future holds.

Daniel 2
One night during the second year of his reign,* Nebuchadnezzar had a dream that disturbed him so much that he couldn't sleep.1

2 He called in his magicians, enchanters, sorcerers, and astrologers,* and he demanded that they tell him what he had dreamed. As they stood before the king,2

3 he said, "I have had a dream that troubles me. Tell me what I dreamed, for I must know what it means."

4 Then the astrologers answered the king in Aramaic,* "Long live the king! Tell us the dream, and we will tell you what it means."3

5 But the king said to the astrologers, "I am serious about this. If you don't tell me what my dream was and what it means, you will be torn limb from limb, and your houses will be demolished into heaps of rubble!

6 But if you tell me what I dreamed and what the dream means, I will give you many wonderful gifts and honors. Just tell me the dream and what it means!"

7 They said again, "Please, Your Majesty. Tell us the dream, and we will tell you what it means."

8 The king replied, "I can see through your trick! You are trying to stall for time because you know I am serious about what I said.

9 If you don't tell me the dream, you will be condemned. You have conspired to tell me lies in hopes that something will change. But tell me the dream, and then I will know that you can tell me what it means."

10 The astrologers replied to the king, "There isn't a man alive who can tell Your Majesty his dream! And no king, however great and powerful, has ever asked such a thing of any magician, enchanter, or astrologer!

11 This is an impossible thing the king requires. No one except the gods can tell you your dream, and they do not live among people."

12 The king was furious when he heard this, and he sent out orders to execute all the wise men of Babylon.

13 And because of the king's decree, men were sent to find and kill Daniel and his friends.

14 When Arioch, the commander of the king's guard, came to kill them, Daniel handled the situation with wisdom and discretion.

15 He asked Arioch, "Why has the king issued such a harsh decree?" So Arioch told him all that had happened.

16 Daniel went at once to see the king and requested more time so he could tell the king what the dream meant.

17 Then Daniel went home and told his friends Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah what had happened.

18 He urged them to ask the God of heaven to show them his mercy by telling them the secret, so they would not be executed along with the other wise men of Babylon.

19 That night the secret was revealed to Daniel in a vision. Then Daniel praised the God of heaven,

20 saying, "Praise the name of God forever and ever, for he alone has all wisdom and power.

21 He determines the course of world events; he removes kings and sets others on the throne. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the scholars.

22 He reveals deep and mysterious things and knows what lies hidden in darkness, though he himself is surrounded by light.

23 I thank and praise you, God of my ancestors, for you have given me wisdom and strength. You have told me what we asked of you and revealed to us what the king demanded."

24 Then Daniel went in to see Arioch, who had been ordered to execute the wise men of Babylon. Daniel said to him, "Don't kill the wise men. Take me to the king, and I will tell him the meaning of his dream."

25 Then Arioch quickly took Daniel to the king and said, "I have found one of the captives from Judah who will tell Your Majesty the meaning of your dream!"

26 The king said to Daniel (also known as Belteshazzar), "Is this true? Can you tell me what my dream was and what it means?"

27 Daniel replied, "There are no wise men, enchanters, magicians, or fortune-tellers who can tell the king such things.

28 But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets, and he has shown King Nebuchadnezzar what will happen in the future. Now I will tell you your dream and the visions you saw as you lay on your bed.

How does this apply to our every day lives?
What practices should we partake in or not?

I personally do not participate in these types of things, I just felt the urging to bring this topic up.

~Carla

Views: 254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rick,
I think He does not want us involving ourselves with this stuff. What do you think?
Good Morning Carla.
Before I came to know Jesus, I played the fool with a female friend of mine and said I could delve into the future (Naughty Boy) I used tea leaves and started to tell here what was to happen in her future.
I cannot remember exactly what I told her but I concentrated on generalities.......?!?!?!?
To my Surprise she suddenly put her head down onto the table and burst out crying and sobbing ucontrollably. When we finally calmed her down and asked what was wrong? Her reply was something to this effect : "Everything that Ron has said here, is so true and has touched on some very personal dreams I have for myself."
This then is how Astrologers, fortune tellers etc. etc. work. All of us basically have the same hopes and fears.
So generally "Telling the Future" you will eventually tell them something that applies to them. (Perhaps several things might apply to them)
Then you have the one who predicts out right. "A Dignatory will be killed in a car accident sometime this year." Chances are quite good that in 365 days some well know important person will be killed in a car accident. If not.... By the time the year is over everyone will have forgotten the prediction...
BUT..... If some important dignatory does get killed..... Everyone will remember the prediction and suddenly you have people flocking to the Fortune teller's doorstep.
So quite often these people do predict a definite result, knowing that if it does not happen everyone will have forgotten. BUT, if it does happen.................? LOTSA BUSINESS STARTS FOR HIM OR HER.
Your Brother and Friend in Christ - Ron "Anyone care for a cuppa tea?"
Thank you Ron...I love your wisdom...I was hoping to hear from you!
yes...i'd love one thanks!
Many BLessings for you, your sister and friend in Christ ~ Carla

I pray that we as an "All About God.net family" will always stay focused on Christ~"seek ye first the Kingdom of God"...
Hi Carla,
I believe I should also speak of another incident in my life as a child... My gran always dragged me with her to the Spiritist Church where they claim to speak to souls that have departed.
I used to sit there wide eyed as these seances progressed. One particular woman spiritist used to speak in several distinct different voices.
I have also watched TV as some well known and very popular spiritist in this field would tell his listeners truths which he could never know about, Even give the names of their departed loved ones. For a long time, several years ago I wondered how itwas accomplished.. If you have seen these TV shows, you may have aslo wondered.
I believe that the answer lies with demonology.
I believe that there are demons around us listening to our complaints, our fears and even our dreams.
When someone has a lost one whom she or he would love to hear from and know that all is well with them. They may discuss this at home or in the car on the way to the seance. "I do miss my mother Julia. Remember how she always sat with Tilly the cat on her lap and stroked it?"
These folk are not aware that there are spirits listening to their conversation.
Now at the meeting the Spiritist is in touch with the unseen world. But it is not her mother, the spiritist is speaking to. Rather it would be the same spirit that listened to the conversation in the car.
The Spiritist then starts witha dialog that goes something like this. "I see an elderly woman standing next to you....... She is trying to tell me something and pointing to her lap. Something she used to always have on her lap. She is stroking her lap as she would stroke an animal. Ah! now I have it. It's a cat and yes, she is smiling and nodding in agreement. She wants you to know that the cat - is it Billy? or Filly" I can' quite get the name. Oh you say it's Tilly, that's right she is smiling again and she says that Tillly is with her now as well. Tell me dear is this a friend or a family member? Your mother! This contact has established itself so well, Her name is coming through quite strong now. Is it Judy....? No Jullie... Ah, you say that your mother's name is Julia and Oh, you used to call her Jullie for short.

The Spiritist truly believes that she is speaking to the mother. The family are happily surprised and marvel at the womans gift, wishing that they too could speak directly with departed souls..
Alas the forces of darknes now have a few more adherrants who support the Spiritist. The family are convinced and have been totally "sucked" into this belief: "She really talks to the departed, how else could she know their names?" they ask. "and how would she know that Tilly sat on Mom's lap to be stroked with such love. Oh it's so good to know Mom is well and alive in the spirit world. Next week we must hope that we hear from her again and we can ask about the rest of our family, Jack and Nellie and Margaret who will be with Mom as well."
These are my observations and it is the only way I can explain this phenomena. Remember the devil has the power to appear as an angel of light.

Yoour Brother and Friend - Ron.
Hi Ron,
Thank you for adding this. Praise God for bringing all of these things 'into the light' and therefore into our focus...so that we know the power of such things and the importance of complete avoidance and intolerance of them.

God Bless, Carla
Regarding this, Please I humbly request you to read following BIBLE verses:----Isaiah 47:11--14. And Deuteronomy 17:2, 3, 5 and Deut. 18:10-14, also read Exodus 20:3,4. I think these all Bible vesres will clear yours question.
Hi Joel,
Thank you for this.I took the liberty of typing them out
Isaiah 47:11-14
So disaster will overtake you,
and you won't be able to charm it away.
Calamity will fall upon you,
and you won't be able to buy your way out.
A catastrophe will strike you suddenly,
one for which you are not prepared.

Deuteronomy 17:2
When you begin living in the towns the Lord your God is giving you, a man or woman among you might do evil in the sight of the Lord you God and violate the covenant.
3--For instance, they might they might serve other gods, or worship the sun, the moon or any of the stars-the forces of heaven----which I have strictly forbidden. 4. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, 5. then the man or women or woman who has committed such an evil act must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death.

Deuteronomy 18: 10-14
"For example, never sacrifice your son or daughter as a burndt offering. And do not let your people practice fortune-telling, or use sorcery, or interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft, or cast spells, or function as mediums or psychics, or call forth the spirits of the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord. It is because the other nations have done these detestable things that the Lord your God will drive them out ahead of you. But you must be blameless before the Lord your God. The nations you are about to displace consult sorcerers and furtune-tellers, but the Lord your God forbids you to do such things."

Exodus 20:3-4
You must not have any God before me. You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea.

In Him ~ Carla
Thankyou Carla for writing these all BIBLE verses. my typing speed is so slow . Thankyou for helping me in this way. God bless you, and use you for His kingdom. God bless you.I am praying for you. yoel charan
I personally love the study of Astronomy.

Astronomy is a natural science that deals with the study of celestial objects (such as stars, planets, comets, nebulae, star clusters and galaxies) and phenomena that originate outside the Earth's atmosphere (such as the cosmic background radiation). It is concerned with the evolution, physics, chemistry, meteorology, and motion of celestial objects, as well as the formation and development of the universe.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomy

Now as far as Astrology is concerned, this is the one we need to stay away from.
Astrology is a group of systems, traditions, and beliefs which hold that the relative positions of celestial bodies and related details can provide information about personality, human affairs, and other terrestrial matters. A practitioner of astrology is called an astrologer. Astrologers believe that the movements and positions of celestial bodies either directly influence life on Earth or correspond to events experienced on a human scale.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology

Deuteronomy 4:15
You saw no form on the day God spoke to you at Horeb from out of the fire. Remember that. Carefully guard yourselves so that you don't turn corrupt and make a form, carving a figure that looks male or female, or looks like a prowling animal or a flying bird or a slithering snake or a fish in a stream. And also carefully guard yourselves so that you don't look up into the skies and see the sun and moon and stars, all the constellations of the skies, and be seduced into worshiping and serving them. God set them out for everybody's benefit, everywhere. But you—God took you right out of the iron furnace, out of Egypt, to become the people of his inheritance—and that's what you are this very day.

Acts 19:18-20 (New International Version)
18 Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed their evil deeds. 19 A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas. 20 In this way the word of the Lord spread widely and grew in power.
Hi Dave, The Lord continue to Bless you.

I am not sure if I am digressing but I feel that "Prophecy" falls under this subject as well.

There are those whom Christians label as prophets. My own personal opinion is that they
are not prophets in the true meaning and sense of the Title.

We have many today who speak of the end times. They take world events and tie them to certain scriptures and call themselves prophets.
Naturally world events change, they then simply change the prophesy to suit the event, by attaching the disaster to the same scriptures and so it continues time after time.

The statement: "Perilous times shall come" has been used year in and year out. "Perilous times shall come" This is simply stating a fact, but one does not need to be a prophet to know this.

A true prophetic utterance is not predicting A terrible storm disaster. This form of disaster happens from time to time. Predicting it might simply be a lucky fluke, because storm disasters around the world are frequent.

Predicting the exact date, time and city a disaster would strike would be credited with being prophetic. An excellent example of a true prophetic utterance would have been predicting 9/11. Adding the date and cause to that, would have been awesome.

So at present we seem to be stuck with generalities. Storms, earthquakes and natural disasters. When this form of disaster is given it never comes with an exact date, usually the so called prophet speaks of "within the next 2 years" Surely we must ask? "Does God not know the date?" The so called "prophet" knows full well that it is a fairly good bet that a disaster of some sort could well happen within 2 years. If not then he/she also knows that in 2 years everyone will have forgotten the prediction.

This discussion should point us to the incredible prophecies in the Bible concerning Jesus.

Betrayed by a Friend Psalm 41:9 Fulfilled Mat 10:4 Jhn. 13:21
Sold for 30 pieces of silver Zech 11:12 Fulfilled Mat 26:15
Smitten and Spat upon Isa 50:6 Fulfilled Mat 26:67
Hands and feet pierced Pslm 22:16 Fulfilled Luk 23:33
Crucified with thieves Isa 53:12 Fulfilled Mat 27:38
Gambled for his Garments Pslm 22:18 Fulfilled Jhn 19:23
Gall and Vinegar to drink Pslm 69:21 Fulfilled Mat 27:34
Bones no Broken Pslm 34:20 Fulfilled Jhn 19:33
His side pierced Zech 12:10 Fulfilled Jhn 19:34

The above was predicted 700 - 800 years before Christ came. This is true prophecy.

What a difference in today's prophets, yet I guess these "prophets" do remind us of the events that will eventually take place. But let us not consider them "Prophets" in the true sense of the word.
"Students of Prophesy" might be a better title for them.

In the evening you say that the weather will be fine because the sky is red. And in the morning you say that there will be a storm today because the sky is red and overcast. You can forecast the weather by judging the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times." Mat 16:2-3

But the day is coming - I have no idea when, I'm not a prophet!. But I do believe not very long from now, when:

"It shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy." Acts 2:17-18.

"Amen. Even so, come Lord Jesus." Rev 22:20
Hi David, Imperator and Ron,

Gee.. David are you finding all my o.l.d. topic discussions or what?? :)

I must admit that over the past couple years I have begun to see Astronomy as a scientific study...and Astrology is the thing that God wants us to avoid.

There is a preacher whom I have been watching that I love.. His name is Louie Giglio. Here's a clip of him. Anyhow, he's the guy that caused me to see that the study of Astronomy does indeed Glorify God...afterall, He created it all.

The study of Astrology is repulsive to Him.

Here's a video from Louie Giglio--called the 'Indescribable Series'. I bought this video series.. It's worth getting it.
part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service