All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Hi Everyone,

The Apocrypha (greek meaning Hidden Things) is a collection books that were not added to the cannon of the Bible because it was thought (as far as I know :-) that they were not neccessary. I have read some of the Apocrypha and have found it to be quite meaningful. But I was wondering on what some of your thoughts about it may be and whether you think it is trustworthy as God's Word or not?

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe the the collection of writings that is put together and called the bible is truly inspired by God. Man may have written them but they are Gods inspired by God. I believe there are many great writings out there that are very helpful with my relationship with God, but I don't believe God intends for them to be a part of the Word. Just my two cents worth.
Jacky,

Please look at these links to get the historical background of these so-called "hidden" books.

http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/lost-books-of-the-bible-faq.htm

http://www.gotquestions.org/apocrypha-deuterocanonical.html

There are lots of addition links on the gotquestions.org site to study more about this. I know you will find these links very helpful.
If you check out answersingenesis a look at the cannon, it will give you a comprehensive understanding of of the apocrypha books,
It is my understanding that up until the turn of the last centery these books were included in the Bible as Gods inspired word. Wickapedia has an interesting description/definition of it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocrypha Many othercountries still include it in there Bibles. As for what I believe... I am still undecided as I havent read much of it.

Michael
I think this is a fantastic subject. Great question! This book is written about Jesus, that book is written about Jesus... this book is accepted, that book is not, why? Why are certain books canonical and others apocrypha?
The canonical version of the bible was agreed upon during the late dark ages. This message included a mix of what was accepted to be accurate and what was in accordance with the will of the church at the time.
Over a thousand years had passed since many of the books of the new testament had been originally written and retranslation after reprint must cause us to ask how similar are the modern books compared to the originals.
The message one understands, is of course the issue, but if the message understood is continuous between canonical and apocrypha, what's the problem?
Your personal relationship with God is easy to understand. The literature you read either strengthens that bond or causes it to waiver, if it waivers I find it's because I've read something that doesn't fit with what I believe. Anything that doesn't promote riteousness and love cant be the teaching of our Lord.
I like your answer. One of the Books of Esdras in the Apocrypha does clearly name Jesus as the Son of God and (if my memory serves me right) has a lot of similar prophecies to those in the Book of Revelation.

I think everyone will always have their own opinions about the Apocrypha and I think it's up to the individual to decide for themselves.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service