All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

What Is Spiritual Discernment?

I would really appreciate some response to this very important QUESTION:

I have been reading a lot on the Spirit of Discernment and want to share something with my friends today. Some people are inclined to speak before thinking... And, usually when this happens to me I "put my foot into my mouth"... (So I am learning to think). And you gentlemen will probably agree with me that this is an arduous task for a WOMAN...

Spiritual discernment : calling on the Holy Spirit to lead or give direction on a matter. It is how the Spirit shows the church or its people what God wants them to do and be.

There are various spirits of discernment, eg.
GIFTS
ACTIONS
INTENTS
THE SPIRIT OF THE TIMES IN WHICH WE LIVE.

And discernment is more than just a skill. It is a gift from God before it becomes anything else. There are clearly skills you can put to use in "using" your gift, and through prayer and training you can become better at it but experience and the BIBLE is the MASTER TEACHER.

Discernment is more than just a process. Even for the most 'material' or 'nitty-gritty' matters, there is a Spirit at work nudging us, leading us, even pulling us by the nose ring.(The nose ring I use here is of vital importance for me... because I am referring specifically to myself here).

I am still in a very early "learning" stage and I pray that the Lord will guide me daily as I yearn to acquire the GIFT OF DISCERNMENT.

At some stage in my life I believed that I had the gift of the SPIRIT OF DISCERNMENT and I often regret having said something that should well have been left alone. It is not wise for someone who believes they have the "spirit of discernment" to correct others. We may offend "seekers", and instead of winning a follower for Christ we have put them off for life!

Even for the most 'spiritual' matters, there are disciplines, methods, processes, means, and tools which the Spirit can work through to help us discern rightly. Discernment isn't usually a sudden zap from beyond, but something which emerges from hard work.

Learn to discern. Yearn to discern.

We have to discriminate between what is true and what is false, ...

AND I QUOTE: " between what is primary and what is secondary, between what is central and what is peripheral;... between testimonies concerning the Spirit which reflect different levels of apprehension, between those which belong to different stages of the divine economy, and between those which have relation to different moments in the dialectic of spirit."
George Hendry, *The Holy Spirit In Christian Theology*, p.13

When the Spirit is on the move, it's characterized by:

Christ-centered spirituality in every aspect of life;
Rejection of all prejudice, class/ethnic/educational barriers, exclusiveness, and denominational warfare. When it follows the Spirit, the Body of Believers knowingly chooses to counter-model prejudices by living without regard to them.
bringing attention and worship to Jesus Christ, and awareness of God's/Jesus'/Spirit's work.
an unusual level of passion, energy, or impact.
These are the main things to look for in discerning about something:

it is governed by love, for if it is not, it's worthless ( 1 Corinthians 13:1-3);
it centres us onto Jesus the Christ and Lord ( 1 Cor 12:3), and His good news;
it directs us to Scripture, not away from it ( Isaiah 8:19, 20);
it builds up the church and its members ( Ephesians 4:11-12), giving it power, wisdom, character, boldness, and unity.
it helps create in us a love of righteousness, a heightened sense of sin, and a turning away from known evil."

Discerning eyes look for whether something that has been labelled "discernment" is done from love, or whether it just is a clanging gong or a noisy cymbal.

Jesus didn't call us to love ideas, nor to impose our "ideas" on others

HE CALLED US TO LOVE PEOPLE

and John put it as bluntly as he could :

"One who does not love does not know God, for God is love." (I John 4:8)

When discerning, the Christian must keep in mind why he/she is doing it. Ask yourself, "If I raise this issue, how am I pointing people to Christ? How am I helping them grow in the Spirit? In what way am I loving them?" If there's no answer to those questions, or if you have to stretch far and wide to come up with a complicated or weak answer, then it's best not to speak. (Remember that the spoken word can never be retraced even if we APOLOGISE... the hurt it caused may never heal). Indeed, it's time to focus on LISTENING, because it may be your time to learn.

Like me, are you STILL "LISTENING" and ‘LEARNING" or are you a PROPHET? And if you have reached a stage where you are a PROPHET... I openly admit that I admire you but I also envy you (just a little)... And I will gladly sit at your feet and "listen" and "learn"....

Fondly in Jesus our Saviour
Ramona P.

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ramona,

Great Post!

I believe we all have some measure of Spiritual Discernment, because the Holy Spirit lives in us. But this is constantly being refined as we are learning more and more all the time. Thankfully God uses all circumstances to teach us, so we may grow to be more like His Son.

Amongst other things you mentioned here...this is the part I need to work on the most:
Indeed, it's time to focus on LISTENING, because it may be your time to learn.

Love and Blessings as always, Carla
Thank you for your comment, dearest Carla
I am actually in a growth process myself even though there should be wisdom in older folk... This is not true. Sometimes I read what you young people say and I think "wow such wisdom from a young person"!!!

Please, I am saying this to you and I do not want to offend people by them thinking that I am boasting.... but I had the most wonderful privilege in 2008 to feel the HOLY SPIRIT nudge me and touch me and "tell me" to reach out to certain three people and it was amazing!!! I was elated because this has never happened to me before. I think you know of the incidences and I do not have to repeat it.

And, Carla, I actually believe with my whole heart that Tommy (with the heavenly blue eyes - the deaf/mute gentleman that I met and fed at the Wimpy is an angel)... My hubby (Cornelus) is a very sceptical and "sensible" person (accountant) can also not make up his mind. But I intend to lean to listen and focus on learning... and I pray that God will give me the gift of discernment...."

God bless you and your loved ones and hugs from a very hot South Africa

<:))))>
Your Friend
Ramona P.
Hi Ramona..

Indeed I do know of the instance.. I can't aslo help but wonder... If this man Tommy, is counting you as one of God's angels... :)

Love and Blessings from a very cold and snowy Canada.. Can I come to stay with you for a time? :)
My dearest, dearest Carla
Book your flight - I will meet you at the airport... You can stay as long as you wish - bring your kids along too! You will love Heidelberg - it is a most delightful and beautiful village...

God bless and fond love

Your Friend
Ramona P.
That would be awesome! I truly wish I could take you up on that...maybe one day.

:)
DEAREST ML
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! THIS IS WONDERFUL. I REALIZE NOW THAT BECAUSE I LOVE JESUS SO MUCH THAT I HAVE THE SPIRIT IN ME AND THAT HE DWELLS WITH ME FOREVER - WHAT A COMFORT AND JOY!!!

I BELIEVE THAT THE THREE MIRACLES I EXPERIENCED NEED NOT BE THE LAST... IT IS JUST THE BEGINNING.

ALSO, WE PROBABLY DO NOT "COUNT OUR BLESSINGS".... PERHAPS LITTLE INCIDENTS ARE NOT EVEN RECOGNIZED BY US AS MIRACLES...

BE EVER SO BLESSED

Your Friend
Ramona P.
Dearest Charles
You are one of the kindest men I have learned to know. Yes, getting down on your knees brings you to the "size" of a little child... and I love to think of myself being "childlike" most of the time. I see little children in the mall and I notice how they love it when an older person pays attention to them... That is part of being "like Jesus"...

When I place a discussion I never mean to boast - but only in and through Christ - because without Jesus we are all 0 = zero!!! However, with Jesus in our hearts we are part of His family and I am a daughter of God... Bless Him and Praise Him for the grace he bestows upon me. May I always endeavour to be an example to the little children.

Charles, did you notice that kids will never deliberately hurt you? And if you give them T.L.C. they thrive! Without love we will just wilt and die.

So I send you much love and hugs from an extremely hot South Africa.

Your Friend
Ramona P.

P.S. AND DO YOU KNOW THAT WE ARE NO DIFFERENT TO YOU AMERICANS - WE ARE JUST PEOPLE WITH THE SAME NEEDS... AND I AM PROUD TO SAY "PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN" NOT BECAUSE I AM SOUTH AFRICAN - BUT BECAUSE I AM A CHILD OF GOD IN SOUTH AFRICA.....and the wonder of it is THAT I AM RELATED TO YOU BECAUSE, IN CHRIST, WE ARE FAMILY!

XXXXXX
Good points Ramona! We should always keep things centered on the building up of the Body and the testimony of the fulness of God's Son in His people.
Usually when God opens up someone's "inner ear" and "inner eye", thus giving us discernment, we should be watchful. The enemy or the "self" may try to use it to either criticize or to "puff us up". But God gives it to us for the purpose of intercession. When ministering to another believer, sometimes when they speak what comes out of their mouth doesn't always match what is really in their heart. So we need to be able to discern their true condition to know what to minister to them. What will build up Christ in them? If we can't do that, sometimes when someone needs sympathy we admonish them or when someone needs admonished we give them sympathy. And things like that. We need to know what to pray for them and so on.
We also need to know what is of God, what is of ourselves, or what is of Satan. We need to know if preaching is of God or only the plausible words of man's wisdom. We need to be able to discern whether a supernatural manifestation is of God or a counterfeit from the enemy. Or of the latent power of the soul that has been released in someone, or even in ourselves rather than of the spirit.
Anyways, the Apostle John wrote about this in his first letter. He said you have an anointing within that will teach you, you have no need that anyone should teach you. And what the Spirit teaches is truth. So it is a matter of recognizing the anointing within by the still small voice that speaks to our 'intuition' or our 'conscience'. Not our naked ear, or the intellect or emotion. But the still small voice within our innermost parts. Which is the Holy Spirit in our spirit. The Book of Hebrews talks about the necessity of this to move into Christian maturity. "Meat is for the mature, who have their senses trained by reason of constant use to discern good and evil." Not right from wrong. Unbelievers know that. But what is of God and what is not.
Anyways, there's my two cents and I hope that helps!
May the grace of our dear Lord Jesus be with your spirit!
Dearest Brother
This is most valuable to me... and I say, without boasting... because we can only boast IN CHRIST and through Him... that I have been blessed and for years I did not actually realize this. When I was working with Christian Publishing Company I was very close to the African people working there and brought a lot of comfort to them. I was eventually placed in the position where I was a "personnel" officer and they could come to me with their trials and woes... and I would "sort it out"... I can mention numerous wonderful things that happened to me in that period but unfortunately people regard some things as "bragging" - so I just would like to say God blessed me tremendously because He gave me a compassionate heart. I stressed to my friends on the Net that I do not "hear" God audibly - but there is a nudge - a true feeling that I am compelled to do something for a certain person - and I know as I know that this is the Holy Spirit working in my heart.

But I am going to constantly read all the comments I received from my dear Christ following friends on this subject and I will also delve deeper. I am now inspired to learn more - because I know that something has happened in my life and before I die I would love to think that I have reached "Christian Maturity" and I know that God and the Holy Spirit will guide me to discern good and evil... and I ask for prayer from you and my other friends.

God bless you mightily and thank you once again for your positive and "educating" comment...

Your Friend
Ramona P.
Hi Ramona!
It sounds like you have recognized the anointing within that will teach you! And the still small voice.
I will mention a few good teachers and books that you can easily find. A good book that God gave to the Church to lead us on the spiritual path is called "The Spiritual Man" by Watchman Nee. It is such a work of God that Satan tried to hinder him as he was writing it. So you'll have to read it prayerfully because he'll try to hinder you reading it, too. He has other good books, too. But that one is very thorough. A few others are T. Austin-Sparks and Stephen Kaung. You can actually find online sermons of them that you can listen to for free at ChristianTestimonyMinistry.com.
May the grace of our dear Lord Jesus be with your spirit,
Rich
My dearest Rich

You mention Watchman Nee!!!! I loved him. I worked at Christian Publishing Company in South Africa and I was an editor... Read a lot of books - but Watchman Nee is so Powerful!!! I will try to get T, Austin-Sparks and Stephen Kaung... otherwise will try to listen to free sermons.

Thank you so much for your comment and God bless...
Dearest Charles
You are so right... I see parents pulling their children by their arms and shouting at them - and this breaks my heart. However, so many of them love their children. But I read about abused babies and children (dying) or being maimed for life and this is just unacceptable. And I wonder why God allows them to have children... but I realize that God gives us a choice - to be good or to be evil... and the choices that people make are the consequences of either positive or negative.

But let us praise God and thank Him for His loving kindness and Grace - because He always treats his "Children" fairly and even over the limit! He even forgives the prostitute and the murderer, etc.... (amazing)!

Your Friend
Ramona P.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service