All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Some clarity on two important terms...

Some folks come to Christ (are saved) and then struggle with the notion of "I need to be getting better or I won't be saved". That is the basis for this clarification of terms. When you accept Jesus Christ as your savior, you are at that instant, justified before God. Justification is an instantaneous occurrence with the result being eternal life. It is based completely and solely upon Jesus' sacrifice on the cross (1 Pet. 2:24) and is received by faith alone (Eph. 2:8-9). No works are necessary whatsoever to obtain justification. Otherwise, it is not a gift (Rom. 6:23). Therefore, we are justified by faith (Romans 5:1).

So once you are justified, a great works begins in your life that is the process of sanctification. Sanctification involves the work of the person. But it is still God working in the believer to produce more of a godly character and life in the person who has already been justified (Phil. 2:13). Sanctification is not instantaneous because it is not the work of God alone. The process of sanctification is taking place from the time you are justified to the point you meet Jesus. The justified person is actively involved in submitting to God's will, resisting sin, seeking holiness, and working to be more godly (Gal. 5:22-23). Significantly, sanctification has no bearing on justification. That is, even if we don't live a perfect life, we are still justified.

The really exciting "next steps" that follow sanctification is glorification. That is the most amazing gift we can look forward to. We will one day be made like Jesus, perfect and free from sin. That will bring glory to Jesus and the Heavenly Father. That is glory!

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wow amen! I am so glad I am a sinner saved by Grace through faith.
Amen Sis I agree we do need to get that message out to people, that they can come to know Christ just as they are! Salvation is a FREE gift.. through the grace of God through Faith. We are washed in His blood and forgiven.

I am studying on how to witness from www.thewayofthemaster.com that is a great site !! you should check it out.
When you take a deep study of Romans, you come across a lot of good scripture (all scripture is good, but I believe this is REALLY good in relationship to this topic). There is an important thing to keep in mind with respect to terms. When Paul says justification it is not the same as when James uses that term. James says justification and he is really referring to sanctification. More detail on this soon...
...so to continue...
Paul is very precise in his terminology. When we look at scripture, we need to first acknowledge that since scripture was inspired by God it does not stand in conflict with itself. So one passage cannot be in conflict with another passage. At the surface level, it sometimes might appear that there is a conflict, but that is never the case. So speaking specifically about the topic of Justification...

We are justified by faith in Christ, that Jesus died for our sins and was resurrected on the 3rd day and in doing so this took away our sins and justifies us with the Holy Father. You see, we can't see each others hearts. It is impossible for one man to look at another man's heart the way God knows our heart. I can't for example say "Hey Joe, I was looking at your heart the other day and well, it seems like it's not so good." All that man can do is look at another's deeds.

Now this is where you need to be careful. We are not saved by works. At the moment you acknowledge you are a sinner and accept Jesus as your savior, you are saved and Justified before God. You cannot improve on that position. It's done. You have your ticket to Heaven. However, the "fruit" of your salvation will begin to manifest itself in your life. You will not be totally free from sin, but the actions you take will exhibit that you have been reborn. Do you do these good things to somehow improve your salvation account with God? No. Not at all. That has been taken care of by Jesus and your acknowledgment of the gift of grace from the Heavenly Father.

More on this topic later...
...and to the distinction between James and Paul. What James refers to in his articulation of Justification is the fruit that a justified man displays to others. Remember that James was a practical guy and was providing scripture that spoke to the way a person would exhibit to others that they had been saved and had a changed heart. James provided scripture that would be practical for application and observation (Paul also said observe the deeds that I do and judge me by them - also in reference to the fruit of his conversion) - however it's important to distinguish Paul's writings as doctrine and the writings of James on the topic of Justification as an emphasis toward what other men would "see" in support of the converted heart. So the scripture is consistent. When James says Justify that term is really equivalent to the term Sanctify as used by Paul.

Looking forward to comments from others on this topic... -Stew

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service