All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I have questions about death. I am looking for Bible references that will help me make up my mind about what death is.

What happens when we die?
Are we asleep until Jesus returns?
Are we in a wating pattern until Jesus returns?
Will there be others waiting for us?
If there is something on the other side, how do we know it's really God and not manufactured by the enemy?

Any comments and or verses would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bro. Elric

Good Day!

Here's what i've search about your questions; please read. May the verses can help you also find the answer.

Question: "What happens after death?"

Answer: The question of what happens after death can be confusing. The Bible is not explicitly clear on when a person will reach their final eternal destiny. The Bible tells us that after the moment of death, a person is taken to Heaven or Hell based on whether he or she had received Christ as his or her Savior. For believers, after death is to be "away from the body and at home with the Lord" (2 Corinthians 5:6-8; Philippians 1:23). For unbelievers, after death means everlasting punishment in Hell (Luke 16:22-23).

This is where it can get confusing as to what happens after death. Revelation 20:11-15 describes all those in Hell being cast into the lake of fire. Revelation chapters 21-22 describe a New Heaven and New Earth. Therefore, it seems that until the final resurrection, after death a person resides in a “temporary” Heaven and Hell. A person's eternal destiny will not change, but the precise "location" of a person's eternal destiny will change. At some point after death, believers will be sent to the New Heavens and New Earth (Revelation 21:1). At some point after death, unbelievers will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:11-15). These are the final, eternal destinations of all people - based entirely on whether a person had trusted Jesus Christ alone for the salvation of their sins.

What Does the Bible Say About Death, Eternal Life and Heaven?

Heaven will be far better than earth for believers.

Philippians 1:21
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (NIV)

Revelation 14:13
And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this down: Blessed are those who die in the Lord from now on. Yes, says the Spirit, they are blessed indeed, for they will rest from their hard work; for their good deeds follow them!” (NLT)

The death of a believer is precious to God.

Psalm 116:15
Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints. (NIV)

Believers belong to the Lord in heaven.

Romans 14:8
If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. (NIV)

Believers are citizens of heaven.

Philippians 3:20-21
But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body. (NIV)

After their physical death, believers gain eternal life.

John 11:25-26
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" (NIV)

Also:
John 10:27-30
John 3:14-16
1 John 5:11-12

Believers receive an eternal inheritance in heaven.

1 Peter 1:3-5
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. (NIV)

Believers receive a crown in heaven.

2 Timothy 4:7-8
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (NIV)

God Bless You!!!
I believe you should ask god the answer to your question. And listen carefully about what the truth is.
Then we will go to Heaven
Does that mean all my tutors will die one day and go to hell???
Hello, im Helen, a new member to this site and have been reading the forum questions and the replies and this particular one interested me.

The reason for this is that In Peter (I forget which one) it states that when Christ died and rose again on the third day in the middle day (Saturday) He was preaching to the lost souls that died in the days of Noah's flood. This to me indicates that Christ is a mericiful God and He realised that some people died in ignorance and so therefore was giving them a second chance to accept Him as their Lord and Saviour before the Final Day of Judgement and that our souls are somewhere ?. I would be greatful for any feedback on this...

Thankyou and God Bless

Helen xx
For clarification about the "three days" and the meaning of I Peter 3:18-19 please see http://www.gotquestions.org/where-was-Jesus.html for a great explanation.

In a nutshell, it explains it was not really a "second chance". The Bible does not say that after death comes "further purification" or a second chance; it says, "...it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment" (Hebrews 9:28).
this is a subject that I have many questions on myself. I have always been taught that when we die, our spirits either go to heaven or hell. I have read so many books on this subjects including people who claim to have had experiences in heaven and in hell.
There is a book out there by Don Piper, who is a baptist preacher who claim that he died in a car accident and spent 90 min in heaven. He claim that he met some of his loved ones and friends who have died before him when he went to heaven, although he says he never met God or seen God during his experience.

There is a book out there that I read a long time ago by Mary K. Baxter. This author claims that she has devine revelations about hell, heaven the spirit world and many others. She has a book where she claims that the Lord gave her visions for forty nights of hell. This was her first book that she came out with, since then she has came out with many other alleged revelations that God has gave her. When I first read the book, I believed her, but since then she has had so many other revelations that I have started to question her.

Some of these books can be very convincing, especially for someone who is seeking the truth, which I believe we will never know until our times come to experience it. I honestly believe, but don't' have any proof that when we die, we either go to heaven or hell based on what we choose to believe while we are here on earth. When our loved ones die, it's comforting to believe that they are in heaven with God... but really and truthfully, we will never know what happens until we actually walk down that road ourselves when our time comes.
Recommend you check out my featured article on the eMag Crazy about God. Visit www.crazyaboutgod.net.

Larry
Revelations 20:5 " But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection." Revelations 20:13 "And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works."
Labrock:
Revelations 20:4
Then I saw thrones, and the people sitting on them had been given the authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those how had been beheaded for their testimony about Jesus and for proclaiming the world of God.

It says in the verse that they were killed for their testimony and allegiance to Jesus Christ....
Ok,,, speaking of leaving things out.... where does it say in there that these were the people on the Right side of the gulf?? I am not disputing that they did not reign with Christ.. My question is where did is say they were on the Right side of the gulf as you claim they are.
What bible do you study out of?
Elric:

My brother passed away suddenly ten months ago and I have been struggling and studying this issue every since then. For a while I was so worried about him, where he was and what he was doing. I found this website earlier this year and have received so much insight and help about this.
The bible says that "Absent from the body is to be present with the Lord". Also when Jesus died on the cross, he told the thief on the cross "Today you will be with me in paradise". There is also the parable of the Rich man and Lazarus that Jesus talks about. There are many christian authors out there who claim to have had experiences where they have died and went to heaven, or visions of heaven/hell. Not that we should believe everything everyone write on this subject, there is one particular book that I read that I believe is true. It's called 90 Min by Don Piper.
The only way that I can take these scriptures is literally meaning that once we die, our spirits go to either heaven or hell. I know that there are a lot of theories about us sleeping until Jesus returns, and honestly no one really knows until we walk down that road ourselves. It's comforting to know and believe that our loved ones who have gone on are with God, it's very sad to think they are unconsciously sleeping with no knowledge of where they are.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service