All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Hello my brother and sisters!
Hope all is well with you and your family!
I have questions about tithing. Before I surrendered to Jesus, I spent money foolishly to the point where I'm in legal counsel to correct my finances (this is one of the reasons I surrendered to Jesus). I understand that everything belongs to God and that I should give 10% of my gross earnings to God. I asked God for forgiveness that I cannot give what is due to Him right now. And the guilt of not being able to do so depresses me. Once I control my finances, which is many years down the road, I will give God what is due to Him. My church only asks for $12.00 from my family for an offering, which I can do. Will God be upset that, financially, I'm taking care of my family's living expenses instead of having faith in Him to provide for my family and still give what is due to Him?

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I feel compelled to further this topic some, God would like to have you in a position that He could say to you something like this. You know that money that you have in the bank that you keep asking Me what to do with? There is a youth camp coming up and I want you to pay for trip for all the kids or that family down the street where that guy lost his job would you pay their house payment this month, or there is a family that needs food go and take them to the store and get them stocked up with 6 months of food. Would it not be great to be able to say sure thing Lord just let me get my check book and car keys.
No God won't be upset with you. Your heart is right and God sees that and is happy. He understands that not all people are in the correct circumstances to give 10% of their income. You know the wonderful part about all this though. When we come to the point of putting all of our faith in Him, including finances then He will provide for your every need even if you don't have it financially or know where it is coming from. I have been in your shoes and know what you are feeling. My wife and I have committed for the first time to give 10%, and it is a stretch for us, but you know what? God always provides for us. Sometimes taking that leap of faith is the hardest part. Not knowing what will happen or where it will come from. God always makes a way and His resources are limitless. Keep doing what you are doing, God is proud of you. You will know when the time is right to do more.
This is a very tought subject to talk about.

I believe there is some confusion in tithing. First, Moses practiced tithing before the law was given when he gave to King Melchizedek. This establishes that tithing is a heart and faith issue not a law from God. Second, God does not need your money...he owns the cattle on a 1000 hills. Tithing is a faith issue.

Like Trina and LT have made reference too...I would test God and see what happens. What you must do at all cost is have the right heart. If you hate that you have to tithe, you might as well not tithe.

From personal experience, the grace of God has helped me. It has not been any financial desicion I have personally made.
First of all, my heart goes out to those who find themselves in a financial crisis. Very dear friends of ours, who have only been Christians for a year are going through this very thing, and in spite of their financial situation, are still giving 10% of their gross income to the LORD. They have noticed God’s blessings when they are tithing.

Tithing is something I did not grow up with, but shortly after becoming a Christian God convicted me on this aspect of obedience and living out of my faith. We decided to tithe by pre-authorized donation directly from our checking account to the Church. Tithing has been a huge blessing for us, and it has become a no-brainer, as we cannot spend what we don’t have, and we don’t see the money. People in our Church do not see us putting anything in the collection basket, unless for a special collection, but God sees it. In our Sunday Service, when the offering is taken up, we all lift up our hands and say: ‘God, all we have is Yours. We offer it up to You today. Work Your miracle of love through these gifts, in all that we are, and in all that we do.’ This is a great reminder of who God is, and our responsibility to do our part, so He can work His miracle of love through us.

We are the Church! God knows our hearts, and He is all-knowing and all-seeing. The Bible talks a lot about loving and helping one another. Using money is one of the most obvious way of helping, although there are many other ways. As Christians we are required to give taxes, and also to give to the needs of the Church. We should not confuse these two separate things. We can be loyal to both the State authority and the Church authority. They are concerned with two totally different spheres, the spiritual and the physical, and thus compliment each other, but do not work together. In the Bible, all of life (including the use of money) is spiritual because God is involved in it. Both Old and New Testaments teach generosity as a way of life for God’s redeemed people—not as a rote duty, but as a joyful response to God’s saving Grace.

People sometimes hesitate to give generously to God, because they worry about having enough money left over to meet their own needs. Paul assured the Corinthians 9:6-8, that God was able to meet their needs. The person who gives only a little will receive only a little in return. Ideally we would not want a lack of faith to keep us from giving cheerfully and generously. A giving attitude is more important than the amount given. The person who can give only a small gift shouldn’t be embarrassed. God is concerned about how a person gives from his or her resources. God Himself is a cheerful Giver. Consider all He has done for us. He is pleased when we, who are created in His image give generously and joyfully.

Sometimes small or large personal changes are needed so we can honour God by being good stewards of the resources He has given us. We need to take an honest look at how we are living, so as not to reflect an ungratefulness to God.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service