All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I FIND THIS TO BE A VERY CONTENSIOUS POINT... SOME OLDER FOLK CRITICISE OUR YOUTH BECAUSE THE YOUNG MEN HAVE LONG HAIR AND THEY WEAR SNEEKERS AND JEANS AND T-SHIRTS TO CHURCH! I LOOK AT THESE BEAUTIFUL YOUNG PEOPLE AND JUST WANT TO HUG THEM AND TELL THEM THAT I LOVE THEM - BECAUSE THEY ARE IN CHURCH! THEY ARE SEEKING! THEY ARE IN UNISON WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT. GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM!

I SINCERELY FEEL THAT THE OLDER FOLK SHOULD ACCOMMODATE THE YOUNG PEOPLE AND EVEN TRY TO FIT IN WITH THEIR MUSIC! ARE WE REALLY LOVING AND KIND AS JESUS COMMANDED OR ARE WE TRYING TO STAMP OUR AUTHORITY ONTO THE YOUTH WHO HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THE HOUSE OF GOD? I THINK PLATO ALSO CRITICISED THE YOUNGER GENERATION... LOVE CAN CHANGE THE WHOLE WORLD!

I AM GOING TO QUOTE 2 EXAMPLES HERE AND YOU CAN JUDGE FOR YOURSELF:

1."HONORING GOD BY THE CLOTHES WE WEAR"
One very sensitive area for discussion has to do with the clothes we wear. Styles change, as do the attitudes of people toward clothing. Summer always brings with it the difficult choice of "What is appropriate to wear as a Christian when seen in public?" Modest apparel is a Biblical subject (1 Timothy 2:9-10) and we must give consideration to it in spite of the discomfort it often brings.
Raising a family is hard enough without having to enter the "war zone" over what is permissible attire. The word "modest" is associated in the Bible with the word "decent" and orderly. Webster tells us it is freedom from coarseness, indelicacy or indecency. Obviously we each have an obligation to be certain that we are not seen in a manner that is immodest. It often comes down to inches, and I don't want the job of standing at the door with a ruler to see who fits. There is a line however that a Christian should not cross. Probably it should be measured more in terms of which and how much flesh is left exposed, or whether clothing is so formly fit that it reveals parts of the body that can plant lascivious thoughts. Too tight, too low cut, too see-through, too short, too clingy, and in some cases, too loose a sure test for immodest.

Gaudy could also be immodest, if we recognize that modesty does not call undue attention to one's self. If I dress in a manner that makes others feel I am arrogant, haughty, or in some way better than everyone else, I may have crossed the line. There must be some balance between buying clothes that are suitable for my role in life, and the community in which I live, and the point of becoming vain. We should apply good taste to what we choose to wear and consider whether it limits our influence for Christ. Taste is affected by the community in which we live, admittedly, and thus the problem of setting up dress codes. Overalls may be Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes in some communities whereas coats and ties may be in another. If I go to a community where everyone wears overalls, I would be out of place to impose a coat and tie dress standard. I might even have to shed the coat in order to be accepted in that community. The same logic would not hold true if the dress code was of clothing that did not adequately cover that which God meant to be covered. We don't just dress like the culture we live in if that culture is crossing the line. I don't always know where that line is, but I do know that a Christian must examine carefully whether we're conveying to the world that we are not "of the world." More and more, society is pressing on the church to conform to its standard. We should try to lift men up heavenward instead of allowing the world to pull us down to "earthly."

One should ask the question of himself/herself, "Am I dressing in a manner that will honor God?" Not only should we be concerned with how much of the body our clothing "reveals," but also what message we are sending to others. Quite literally this would be true of many shirts with messages and graphics printed on them that are worldly. It's also true when it comes to taste in how we dress (what to wear and when). The occasion may call for different but "modest" clothing. Study carefully the occasion and choose appropriately. Even restaurants recognize a certain standard for what is appropriate: "No shirt, No shoes, No Service."

Some restaurants require coats and ties, others are quite casual. I wouldn't want to attend certain events without being clothed fitting for the occasion: funerals, weddings, a day before the judge in court, outdoor recreational events. To a certain extent, churches across the board recognize some apparel as more suited to recreational than spiritual. No one can write a rule about what one wears to services, except that it be modest and in good taste, and that it properly represent the Lord before a community we hope to win for Christ. Just some points for us all to ponder......

Terry Broome

Printed in the Broad Street Banner, Volume XVIII, Number 28, July 9, 2003.

NOW I QUOTE REV RUSS WITH WHOM I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY:

2.His Name Is Bill

John 13:15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.

His name was Bill. He had wild hair, wore a T-shirt with holes in it, jeans and no shoes. In fact, this was literally his wardrobe for his entire four years of college. Bill was brilliant; he was kind of esoteric and very, very intelligent, and he became a Christian while attending college.

It happened that just across the street from the campus, is very conservative church, where the members arrive very well-dressed. But to their credit, they wanted to develop a ministry to the students, but were not sure how to go about it.

One day Bill decided to attend church there, and he walked in wearing his normal attire, no shoes, jeans, his T-shirt, and wild hair. The service had already started, therefore Bill started down the aisle, looking for a seat. The church was completely packed, and he couldn't find a seat. By then, people are really looking a bit uncomfortable, but no one said anything.

Bill inched up closer and closer and closer to the pulpit, and then he realized there were no seats, so he just squatted down, right on the carpet, in front of the pulpit. Yes, that was perfectly acceptable behavior at a college fellowship, and some churches, however, that had never happened in that church before! By then, the people were really uptight, and the tension in the air was thick.

About then, the minister realized that from way at the back of the church, a deacon was slowly making his way toward Bill. Now, the deacon was in his eighties, with silver-gray hair and a three-piece suit. He was a godly man, very elegant, very dignified, very courtly. He walked with a cane, and as he started walking toward this boy, everyone was thinking, "You can't blame him for what he's going to do. How can you expect a man of his age and background to understand some college kid on the floor?"

It took quite some time for the man to reach the boy, and the church was utterly silent, except for the clicking of the man's cane, and all eyes were focused on him. You couldn't even hear anyone breathing. The people were thinking, "The minister can't even preach the sermon until the deacon does what he has to do."

And suddenly, they observed that saintly old man, drop his cane on the floor. And with great difficulty, he lowered himself, and sat down next to Bill to worship with him, so he won't be alone.

I can assure you that everyone choked up with emotion. When the minister gained control he said, "What I'm about to preach, you will never remember. What you have just seen, you will never forget. Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some people will ever read."

I may have used this story before, but I have that "preacher's disease; I can't remember if I just thought about it, or if I actually used it. (Smile) Nevertheless, I felt led to use it today, and I want to point out two incredible points to this story.

1. Statement: First, of course, is the statement the preacher made at the end, that we must live the word of God through our actions, for we may be the only Bible some people will read.

2. Humility: Yes, the second, and perhaps even stronger message, seems to get lost in the story. The most poignant lesson in this story is that we must sometimes humiliate ourselves in front of our peers, in order to help someone else become closer to God. Yes, that's what the deacon did, when he chose to worship with the student, instead of condemning him.

A strong man will bring out other's good points, and in the process, lift them up to his level. A weak man will point out other's faults, and in the end, drag them down to his level!

So I want to leave you with this admonition, "Walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for [you], an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma."(Eph 5:2)

Go ahead; you'll like it!

Amazed in His presence...
..humbled by His love.

WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT : OUR OUTER APPEARANCE OR OUR INNER APPEARANCE?

FROM ONE COOL OLD GRANNY
RAMONA P.

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My brother in-law's church just got a new Pastor who is 30 years younger than their old pastor. He got rid of the pulpit and got a round high table with 2 stools, he never dresses up as the other pastor was always decked out. All the people were getting older in this church and new younger people were not coming into this church that had been a dynamic witness for Christ for years. They even allow you to bring coffee into the sanctuary now. You know that in 3 to 4 months the church has grown to close to a 1000. It is a new day, culture has changed concerning dress codes and we have to in a lot of ways change with it to reach the lost. I am not talking about compromising by not wearing modest clothing.
I can remember in 1975 when I was saved how cool I thought my pastor looked in his polyester light blue plad paints. Can you imagine some one telling Jesus to wear a 3 piece suit in his day. I love the more casual dress code, I do not even own a suit any more, but still I have a few ties.
Amen!

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service