All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I FIND THIS TO BE A VERY CONTENSIOUS POINT... SOME OLDER FOLK CRITICISE OUR YOUTH BECAUSE THE YOUNG MEN HAVE LONG HAIR AND THEY WEAR SNEEKERS AND JEANS AND T-SHIRTS TO CHURCH! I LOOK AT THESE BEAUTIFUL YOUNG PEOPLE AND JUST WANT TO HUG THEM AND TELL THEM THAT I LOVE THEM - BECAUSE THEY ARE IN CHURCH! THEY ARE SEEKING! THEY ARE IN UNISON WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT. GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM!

I SINCERELY FEEL THAT THE OLDER FOLK SHOULD ACCOMMODATE THE YOUNG PEOPLE AND EVEN TRY TO FIT IN WITH THEIR MUSIC! ARE WE REALLY LOVING AND KIND AS JESUS COMMANDED OR ARE WE TRYING TO STAMP OUR AUTHORITY ONTO THE YOUTH WHO HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THE HOUSE OF GOD? I THINK PLATO ALSO CRITICISED THE YOUNGER GENERATION... LOVE CAN CHANGE THE WHOLE WORLD!

I AM GOING TO QUOTE 2 EXAMPLES HERE AND YOU CAN JUDGE FOR YOURSELF:

1."HONORING GOD BY THE CLOTHES WE WEAR"
One very sensitive area for discussion has to do with the clothes we wear. Styles change, as do the attitudes of people toward clothing. Summer always brings with it the difficult choice of "What is appropriate to wear as a Christian when seen in public?" Modest apparel is a Biblical subject (1 Timothy 2:9-10) and we must give consideration to it in spite of the discomfort it often brings.
Raising a family is hard enough without having to enter the "war zone" over what is permissible attire. The word "modest" is associated in the Bible with the word "decent" and orderly. Webster tells us it is freedom from coarseness, indelicacy or indecency. Obviously we each have an obligation to be certain that we are not seen in a manner that is immodest. It often comes down to inches, and I don't want the job of standing at the door with a ruler to see who fits. There is a line however that a Christian should not cross. Probably it should be measured more in terms of which and how much flesh is left exposed, or whether clothing is so formly fit that it reveals parts of the body that can plant lascivious thoughts. Too tight, too low cut, too see-through, too short, too clingy, and in some cases, too loose a sure test for immodest.

Gaudy could also be immodest, if we recognize that modesty does not call undue attention to one's self. If I dress in a manner that makes others feel I am arrogant, haughty, or in some way better than everyone else, I may have crossed the line. There must be some balance between buying clothes that are suitable for my role in life, and the community in which I live, and the point of becoming vain. We should apply good taste to what we choose to wear and consider whether it limits our influence for Christ. Taste is affected by the community in which we live, admittedly, and thus the problem of setting up dress codes. Overalls may be Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes in some communities whereas coats and ties may be in another. If I go to a community where everyone wears overalls, I would be out of place to impose a coat and tie dress standard. I might even have to shed the coat in order to be accepted in that community. The same logic would not hold true if the dress code was of clothing that did not adequately cover that which God meant to be covered. We don't just dress like the culture we live in if that culture is crossing the line. I don't always know where that line is, but I do know that a Christian must examine carefully whether we're conveying to the world that we are not "of the world." More and more, society is pressing on the church to conform to its standard. We should try to lift men up heavenward instead of allowing the world to pull us down to "earthly."

One should ask the question of himself/herself, "Am I dressing in a manner that will honor God?" Not only should we be concerned with how much of the body our clothing "reveals," but also what message we are sending to others. Quite literally this would be true of many shirts with messages and graphics printed on them that are worldly. It's also true when it comes to taste in how we dress (what to wear and when). The occasion may call for different but "modest" clothing. Study carefully the occasion and choose appropriately. Even restaurants recognize a certain standard for what is appropriate: "No shirt, No shoes, No Service."

Some restaurants require coats and ties, others are quite casual. I wouldn't want to attend certain events without being clothed fitting for the occasion: funerals, weddings, a day before the judge in court, outdoor recreational events. To a certain extent, churches across the board recognize some apparel as more suited to recreational than spiritual. No one can write a rule about what one wears to services, except that it be modest and in good taste, and that it properly represent the Lord before a community we hope to win for Christ. Just some points for us all to ponder......

Terry Broome

Printed in the Broad Street Banner, Volume XVIII, Number 28, July 9, 2003.

NOW I QUOTE REV RUSS WITH WHOM I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY:

2.His Name Is Bill

John 13:15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.

His name was Bill. He had wild hair, wore a T-shirt with holes in it, jeans and no shoes. In fact, this was literally his wardrobe for his entire four years of college. Bill was brilliant; he was kind of esoteric and very, very intelligent, and he became a Christian while attending college.

It happened that just across the street from the campus, is very conservative church, where the members arrive very well-dressed. But to their credit, they wanted to develop a ministry to the students, but were not sure how to go about it.

One day Bill decided to attend church there, and he walked in wearing his normal attire, no shoes, jeans, his T-shirt, and wild hair. The service had already started, therefore Bill started down the aisle, looking for a seat. The church was completely packed, and he couldn't find a seat. By then, people are really looking a bit uncomfortable, but no one said anything.

Bill inched up closer and closer and closer to the pulpit, and then he realized there were no seats, so he just squatted down, right on the carpet, in front of the pulpit. Yes, that was perfectly acceptable behavior at a college fellowship, and some churches, however, that had never happened in that church before! By then, the people were really uptight, and the tension in the air was thick.

About then, the minister realized that from way at the back of the church, a deacon was slowly making his way toward Bill. Now, the deacon was in his eighties, with silver-gray hair and a three-piece suit. He was a godly man, very elegant, very dignified, very courtly. He walked with a cane, and as he started walking toward this boy, everyone was thinking, "You can't blame him for what he's going to do. How can you expect a man of his age and background to understand some college kid on the floor?"

It took quite some time for the man to reach the boy, and the church was utterly silent, except for the clicking of the man's cane, and all eyes were focused on him. You couldn't even hear anyone breathing. The people were thinking, "The minister can't even preach the sermon until the deacon does what he has to do."

And suddenly, they observed that saintly old man, drop his cane on the floor. And with great difficulty, he lowered himself, and sat down next to Bill to worship with him, so he won't be alone.

I can assure you that everyone choked up with emotion. When the minister gained control he said, "What I'm about to preach, you will never remember. What you have just seen, you will never forget. Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some people will ever read."

I may have used this story before, but I have that "preacher's disease; I can't remember if I just thought about it, or if I actually used it. (Smile) Nevertheless, I felt led to use it today, and I want to point out two incredible points to this story.

1. Statement: First, of course, is the statement the preacher made at the end, that we must live the word of God through our actions, for we may be the only Bible some people will read.

2. Humility: Yes, the second, and perhaps even stronger message, seems to get lost in the story. The most poignant lesson in this story is that we must sometimes humiliate ourselves in front of our peers, in order to help someone else become closer to God. Yes, that's what the deacon did, when he chose to worship with the student, instead of condemning him.

A strong man will bring out other's good points, and in the process, lift them up to his level. A weak man will point out other's faults, and in the end, drag them down to his level!

So I want to leave you with this admonition, "Walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for [you], an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma."(Eph 5:2)

Go ahead; you'll like it!

Amazed in His presence...
..humbled by His love.

WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT : OUR OUTER APPEARANCE OR OUR INNER APPEARANCE?

FROM ONE COOL OLD GRANNY
RAMONA P.

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ramona,
I don't criticise anyone who attends church in whatever they wish to wear, as long as...... You say it well - They don't come half naked.

As for me, I know that if I was to personally meet with Queen Elizabeth or President Bush in their home, I would wear a suit, collar and tie, purely out of respect for their position. Therefore when I go to church to pay homage to the King of Kings there is no reason why this old "Fuddy Duddy" should not pay Him the same respect.

Am I of the "Old Generation"? I don't think so. I was just as "hip" as the youngsters today. I had my Tattoo's, My Bryl creamed hair with a comb stuck in the sock, My Skull Cap with tassels hanging down the back. In my lapel I had stuck My two metal pins each soldered to a piece of wire in order push them into the cables to have free phone calls at the tickey box. I stole empty Beer bottles in the backyard of the Bottle store to take them round to the front to collect the deposit again for "Returned Empties." I had my packet of ten cigarettes called "Max" "Men of the world smoked Max" you know and I took the "Cherries" out by telling them to meet me inside the Bioscope (Cinema) so that I wouldn't have to pay for them to get in. I even took married women out when the opportunity arose......
"Whew, confessions of Ron Payne today." That was in the late 1940's to 50's and I really thought that I had arrived..... Just as the kids of today think. In fact, when I was "Born Again" everyone who knew me said: "It can't be Ron payne, anyone else,Yes! But not Ron Payne, it's impossible.
I have found from my own experience and that of others. That the more the Lord has had to forgive me, the more I have loved Him for it.
So Yes I'm from the "Old generation" - One of the boys. Probably would have been on drugs if they were as easily available as they are today. There is no difference from the kids of yesteryear and today? We all did our thing. I guess the difference is that when I learnt that Jesus was not "My Daddyo" or "The Old Man Upstairs", but rather the King of Kings, I put on a suit, collar and tie to Church and have done so ever since. It would be wrong to suddenly want to put a suit on if I knew Jesus would really be at church that day. Jesus is really there every Sunday accepting the homage and praise I offer Him personally.
Hi Ron.

You look very handsome in your suit and tie. I really appreciate your vulnerability in sharing your experiences from younger years. And I really want to ask you, Do you think that the King of kings is concerned about clothes? He is BIG TIME into relationship and wants to spend time with you, and loves it that you spend time with HIM. He wants to strengthen you. I am sure that Jesus would also enjoy seeing you show up some Sunday in casual clothes, so long as you show up in humility to give Him glory. We go to honour HIM, and He gives us strength.

There is no way we could know whether the King of kings has a preference for us to wear jeans and a t-shirt, or a suit and tie? I don’t believe He has! For me…I would probably pay more attention to how I dress for the queen or president, but only because they would expect it. I don’t think Jesus has those expectations, and I would not wish to limit God by thinking He prefers that I dress a certain way. I do dress modestly, comfortably and casually in proper fitting clothes. Sometimes I wear a dress, sometimes pants or jeans & t-shirt.

I believe Jesus looks at the inner-person, (the heart) not outer appearances. I don’t think it makes any difference what type of clothes we wear, as long as we are neat & clean, and don’t draw attention to ourselves. I love to gather in HIS Name and praise and worship God for who HE is. It’s not about us.

All that having been said, I think it's great that you wear a suit & tie, as long as it doesn't become the main thing.

These are only my opinions and are intended to bless...not offend.

Blessings!
MaryAnn
Thank you my Darling, Love to you both.
It's simply just me MaryAnne.
I was having a Beer with our Chief Officer many years ago. He said to me: "You don't have to call me Mr Walls now, we are day off, just call me Jimmy"
"Yes Sir", I said, But tomorrow you want me to call you "Mr Walls" again. Either you are my Officer or you are not. Should you scold me tomorrow, I would not like it as your friend. But as my Officer, I would accept it without feeling bad." That is necessary discipline and, without it everything falls apart.

Now while it is definitely not necessary to wear a suit and tie to church, (I mean God has seen me in the Bath, the shower and even the toilet - He has never complained)
I never complain when I visit my grand daughters and find them all "ruffed" up. It's not their clothes I come to see, but them. Yet when I take them out and they arrive all neatly dressed and beautiful, how proud I am and love them to bits. I guess if one of the family had to say to them: "There is no need to get all dressed up just because you are going out with your Grandfather, you don't have to impress him with your clothes...." They would be terribly hurt, because that was not their intention. They were going to be with their grandfather and simply wanted to have quality time with him.
As their Grandfather, I would be angry, that someone would dare to criticise them because they just wanted to look Good for Grandad.

Lotsa Love and rich Blessings - Ron
DEAR BROTHER RON
I SMILED WHEN I READ WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT YOUR GRANDCHILDREN. MY TWO YOUNGEST GRANDCHILDREN (MARI'S CHILDREN AND ROEDOLF (PASTOR): JESSICA IS A LITTLE DRAMA QUEEN AND SHE LOVES BEAUTIFUL CLOTHING AND NICE SHOES. BUT SOMETIMES (MUCH TO MARI'S DISGUST) "OVERDRESSES" FOR A 10 YEAR OLD. WHEN SHE VISITS ME SHE BORROWS MY MASCARA AND LIPSTICK (CHUCKLE).. RUBEN AGAIN SURPRISES US AS HE IS TOO CONSERVATIVE (WILL BE 14 ON 15 JULY AND LOVES TO WEAR A TIE AND A WAIST COAT WHICH I BELIEVE HAS COME INTO FASHION AGAIN. HE LOOKS LIKE A LITTLE GENTLEMAN AND STICKS OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB. AND HE WEARS "DECENT" SHOES!!! BUT THIS IS RUBEN AND I ADORE HIM - HIS MANNERS ARE IMPECIBLE! THE OTHER DAY I HAD A LUMP IN MY THROAT WHEN WE HAD LUNCH TOGETHER AT THE WIMPY. WHEN I HAD TO GET UP THIS LITTLE "GENTLEMAN" CAME TO MY SIDE AND GAVE ME HIS ARM TO HELP ME UP. (MADE ME REALISE THAT THIS LITTLE "GENTLEMAN" NOTICED THAT HIS GRAN IS GROWING OLD!

BUT A SENSIBLE GRANDPARENT DOES NOT QUESTION A GRANDCHILD'S MANNER OF DRESSING. WE JUST LOVE THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE CHILDREN OF GOD... AND SO PRECIOUS TO US.

FOND LOVE IN JESUS
RAMONA P.
Hi Ron,

Your stories are great! I understand your reason to dress up for church. And it's encouraging that you have so much respect for authority, as in your story about Chief Officer, Mr. Walls. I wish more people in this world had this respect for authority.

I think it's so precious that your grand daughters have this same respect for you, and want to look pretty for you. They definitely inherited ‘Respect’ from granddad.

We teach others things about ourselves without realizing it. My uncle, who has since passed on, always wore a suit and tie, EVERY time we visited and every time we saw him, he had on a suit and tie, not only on Sundays. I guess that was what he was comfortable in. That was 'his uniform' …simply how he got dressed for the day…even though he was retired. It would probably have appeared odd to us if he dressed differently.

God’s richest blessings to you and yours today,
MA
DEAREST MARYANN
I AM SO GLAD TO SEE YOU AGREE WITH MY OPINION BUT RON IS A LAY PREACHER AND I THINK THAT HE LOOKS SO HANDSOME IN HIS SUIT AND TIE - HIS WIFE PROBABLY ALSO "TOFFS" UP LIKE ME WHEN WE GO TO CHURCH. HOWEVER, AS I SAID: "I JUST LOVE THE YOUNGSTERS DRESSED CASUALLY - GUYS WITH LONG HAIR - T-SHIRTS, JEANS AND SNEEKERS. WHY ARE THEY IN CHURCH EVERY SUNDAY? THEY LOVE GOD AND HIS WORD AND THAT IS "COOL".

FOND LOVE AND BLESSINGS
RAMONA P.
DEAREST BROTHER RON
"WOW" WHAT A TESTIMONY!!! PRAISE GOD AND HALLELUJA!!! I MUST CONFESS THAT I DO "TOFF" UP TO GO TO CHURCH MYSELF BUT ALWAYS HAVE. BUT I DO THANK GOD THAT I HAVE LEARNED TO BE NON-CRITICAL AND TO ACCEPT THE YOUNG PEOPLE AND TO LOVE THEM. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ATTEND CHURCH SUNDAY AFTER SUNDAY!

FOND LOVE AND BLESSINGS TO YOU, DEAREST GENE AND YOUR LOVED ONES.

RAMONA P.
I was saved at 15 during the whole Jesus movement in 1975. I had long hair and my desire was to grow it to my waist. It makes me laugh to think of it now with my thinning white hair. I see a lot of guys my age with pony tails. A friend of mine calls them left overs(from the 70s). I remember those who reached me for Christ did not care about our clothes or my hair, my economic situation or anything like that. Those churches who welcomed these half dressed, long haired hippies such as Jack Hayford and Chuck Smith here in America have powerful ministries to this day. These same hippies are getting frustrated with thier own kids for the way they dress now. I love the young generation and know that as they grow in the Lord God deals with them.
There is a girl in my church who is 18. When she first came to church she was a punk rocker, and dressed in black an the garb. One day I noticed that she was dressing differently in modest cloths with all the other stuff gone. She said, I wanted to dress on the outside like I am on the inside now. I bet if some one had shunned her or complained to her about her dress, she might not be where she is today. She sang the Word is alive by Casting Crowns a few weeks ago that brought the church to thier feet. I for one can put up with the baggy pants and t-shirts if it means I can hear more testimonies like this.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENT DEAR BRO BOB. I AM SO GLAD THAT WE ARE ALL IN AGREEMENT. THE YOUNG PEOPLE ARE SEEKERS AND I THINK WE ALL JUST FEEL SO CHUFFED ABOUT THESE CHRIST FOLLOWERS. DISCIPLES OF JESUS WERE "DROP OUTS" ACCORDING TO THEIR SOCIETY! LET US ALL PRAISE GOD FOR OUR HIPPY LOOKING KIDS WHO ATTEND CHURCH... FOR A REASON... MOST OF THEM THAT I SEE "LOOKING WEIRD" ATTEND CHURCH EVERY SUNDAY! AND IF THEY ARE NOT THERE, I MISS THEM.

FOND LOVE IN JESUS
RAMONA P.
Romona, the kids in your church are so blessed to have some one like you with the heart of God. God bless you!
Bob
THANK YOU SO MUCH, DEAREST BOB - BUT I HAVE ACQUIRED THIS WONDERFUL LOVE FOR OUR LORD AND THE KIDS MORE AND MORE SINCE I HAVE GROWN IN FAITH AND (LET ME SAY THIS SOFTLY - OLDER). IF ONE GROWS OLD AND YOU LEARN HOW TO "LIVE" YOU HAVE GAINED A LOT... BUT SOME OLD FOLKS JUST NEVER LEARN!

FONDEST LOVE IN JESUS
RAMONA P.
This has been a subject I've often thought about......dress code in church !! Personally, I've always leaned towards casual attire at church, (Jeans and polo shirt, or respectable t-shirt). I've got some nice dress shirts, dress pants, and ties, but they aren't honestly very comfortable to wear, so I tend to avoid them if at all possible. Now, I've been to a few different churches in my short lifetime of 40 years......and I must say that I've felt "out of place" in quite a few of them if not dressed in the "suit-n-tie" attire. You see people staring at you and it's a feeling of "why didn't you dress up ?" kind of thing. And to be honest, it's an uncomfortable feeling.
I agree with ramona when she spoke of not dishonoring God with attire which would lead others to enter into sin, (ultra-short miniskirt, skin-tight shirts, etc.). And of course, that should apply to what we wear ALL the time as well !! We are to honor God EVERY day of our lives.........not just in church.
I'm reminded of when Jesus talked about the pharisees/saducees dressed in their "fine apparel, with tassles", but inwardly were dirty. This would seem to indicate that God is more concerned with the "inward" appearance more so than the "outward" appearance.
I would hope that we all don't judge others by what they wear. Some people can't even afford the "nice" clothes to wear to church, and it is our responsibility to make them feel "at home" amongst the believers in the church. Personally, I'd ask people NOT to dress up if I had a church. I'd want everybody to feel relaxed and on "equal" ground. I sometimes think that it is a sort of "tradition" to dress up for church. I've not returned to some churches because of the way I was made to feel for not dressing up. And I know of christians who have stated the same thing. That is a terrible thing for a christian to not want to fellowship in church due to "attire" !! These are just my personal feelings on the matter.
God bless you all.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service