All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

For that past 13 years I've been working as a Janitor for a School.  It is a clean place to work. (In comparison to a factory one can argue it's better.)  But is it really better?  In my personal experience, it hasn't been good for my mental or physical health.  Working by myself at a place where I'm not allowed to express my true feelings takes it's toil mentally.  Moving around for over 10,000 steps a day is a toss up.  A toss up because yes it is good for your body to move.  But there is a difference between quality and hindering movements.  All my moving around has been causing me pain.  I have the start of arthritis in both of my feet because of all the years of walking non stop on thinly covered concrete floors.  I feel that my job is causing me to mentally sin because of the liberties they give the teachers allows them to do things that make my job harder and that translates to anger which in turn makes me think of four letter words I that I'm constantly trying not to say.  I keep telling myself "this is wrong you shouldn't be saying or feeling like this.  You should love your enemies.  God Please help me, please forgive me, and Why am I being so selfish this is wrong too!"  After that I get depressed.  I tried combating this by listening to the Bible, Various Christian books, and prayer.  Not saying that doesn't help some....  I learned a lot more than I did.  But I never get over it. 

I should look forward to Saturday and Sunday.  But my job even takes those two days away from me.  Because I'm always too tired to do much.  My feet are tired, my legs are tired, my back is tired, and my head won't think straight most of the time. 

The other day while doing some research on a Christian Singer.   I stumbled across Pastor Bob Beeman on Youtube.   Now I've been listening to some of His vlogs for weeks.  I don't think any Pastor has got everything a 100 percent right.  Because non of us Humans have things a 100 percent right.  But I found His vlogs to be insightful.  In this Vlog He talks about why, in his opinion, we need to be working a job that we are passionate about.  Is He right?  Well I don't know if He's got all of this a 100 percent.  I think we got to be where God puts us.  My Parents feels that God put me where I'm at.  It's true that it pays the bills but I'm never happy.  And the Economy is bad.  Plus I don't have a lot of skills.  For that reason I'm asking for prayer.  Anyways here is Pastor Bob.  You might enjoy some of His little talks

If it doesn't play directly you can try the direct link.
http://youtu.be/Nmxu0L6u_bM

Views: 1023

Replies to This Discussion

He was still a man. He wasn't born talking either. If He experienced all we experience then learning is also something we have to do. We have a high priest who can sympathize because He knows. So He must also know our limitations on learning and memorizing.

And yes I looked these up. I actually looked all of them up. Just like having a high priest who sympathizes, I know the basics but can't quote word for word. Some of those I knew the basics of and looked them up through a few key words, others I got from an Openbible search on "humble"...ones I didn't recall, and that's from spending years reading and studying. I'd love to have a photographic memory but then I wouldn't need prayer and study so maybe not a good idea.

That was my point to Greg that unless you just know that Bible & you're a complete genius, 99% of us have to look them up in a concordance or google. We don't recall a lot of them so we throw a word in the search & like magic, up pops a ton of verses. So, for him to even compare the Spirit in him with him knowing certain Scripture has nothing to do with each other. 

As far as Jesus having to learn, I still disagree about Him having to the learn the Scriptures because He is the Word. Again, I could be totally wrong & it isn't a biggee deal. I just caught that statement & replied to it. I'll have to research that one day. 

I THINK JESUS DID LEARN , HE WAS HUMAN , I THINK SCRIPTURE PRETTY CLEARLY

INDICATES THAT JESUS GREW PHYSCALLY , MENTALLY , AND SPIRITUALLY .I THINK

HE LEARNED OBEDIENCE THROUGH WHAT HE SUFFERED , HE WAS SON , HE LEARNED

THROUGH SUFFERRING TO LISTEN TO THE VOICE OF COMMAND , HE ALSO WAS AT

THE TEMPLE AT THE AGE OF 12 , SO HE DID LISTEN WHAT WAS BEING TAUGHT , THIS

IS JUST MY OWN OPINION , I DO NOT WANT TO GET OFF OF WHAT MATTERS TO GREGORY .

THAT WOULD BE A GOOD DISCUSSION TAMMY , "" DID JESUS HAVE TO LEARN THE SCRIPTURES ??

GOOD QUESTION FOR LT , I THINK I WILL RUN IT BY HIM .

Hi everyone,

When I was in university, I learned in order to fully understand the Scriptures, there are basically 10 steps, (as it were) with additional secondary steps to each 10. One of my professors so graciously gave them to each student who chose to receive them. I will describe the first step and secondary steps here, as I believe they will be beneficial in this discussion.

1) Biblical and Historical Setting

A) Who wrote the book?

B) To Whom was the book written?

C) When was the book written?

D) What was the purpose of writing the book?

E) What was the historical and cultural situation for the author and the addressees at the time of the book being written?

F) How does the text fit into the purpose?

(Professor Jacob Boessling, 2013)

Part E) I feel is especially important to this discussion. We must remember that Jesus was born a Jew. Then if we want to truly understand the Jewish culture we must study it prior to and during the time period of Christ. We must really study Jewish culture as well as the command God put for in the Torah for His children.

I hope this helps bring understanding, but more importantly, the desire to study this one full step out from start to finish.

Lol. Nope

I gotta disagree with that teaching. In Acts 15:8-11, Peter says:

And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

The Jew were to be circumsized but the gentiles weren't to told to do this. A lot of the old Jewish culture was pre-Christ ritual that Christ did away with in death...such as sacrifice as He was the final sacrifice, or circumcision of the flesh since He would circumcise the heart. Much of it was symbolic of Christ's coming. So to think gentiles must study ancient Jewish culture is along those same lines in my opinion.
Gregory, I will likely post KJV again as I will not remember to post a particular version. I'm partial to NIV myself and the first to tell others to read a version that resembles the original (some should be avoided) that they can understand.

Try the NLV: 8 God knows the hearts of all men. He showed them they were to have His loving-favor by giving them the Holy Spirit the same as He gave to us. 9 He has made no difference between them and us. They had their hearts made clean when they put their trust in Him also. 10 Why do you test God by putting too heavy a load on the back of the followers? It was too heavy for our fathers or for us to carry. 11 We believe it is by the loving-favor of the Lord Jesus that we are saved. They are saved from the punishment of sin the same way.”
I've never used a concordance. I use an interlinear lookup which gives the literal translation from Greek and Hebrew, a scripture reference that gives other similar verses, another reference that gives all scripture on a given topic, and I read commentaries to see what Bible scholars interpretations are.

Using http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm, a simple verse of "Jesus wept" is literally translated "weeps the Jesus".

Using http://www.openbible.info/topics/, looking up "Jesus crying", provides numerous verses where Jesus cried out, including surrounding scripture.

Using http://biblehub.com/, provides all related scripture and commentaries and side by side reference of each major version (KJV, NLT, NIV, ES, etc.)

When I've had an area I've stressed on, I use that openbible site and look up all the scripture dealing with it.  Print it out and carry it with you and read a few from time-to-time.  Also, I believe you work at night?  Or am I thinking of someone else?  If so, can you use an audio Bible with earphones while working?  Listening while you work might take some of the edge off. 

I don't think you make yourself sound too bad off. You are just sharing things about yourself so that we can understand you better & maybe understand where you are coming from with some of your discussions. The more you share with your brothers & sisters in Christ, the more we know what to pray with you about. I know this gets so very frustrating for you. I pray that one day, the Lord will lead you to the answers you need for these issues be it doctors, medicines or whatever. Speaking of ADHD, I have high blood pressure but also take ADHD meds. I take blood pressure medicine as well. Just thought I'd throw that in.

I believe you've misunderstood. This is not a teaching, but rather a way to study the Bible, as well as gain a better understanding of what we are studying. Circumcision was not a ritual, it was a covenant given to Abraham by God. Remember Christ himself was circumcised on the eighth day. The purpose for studying any subject regardless of what it is, is to gain better understanding. Would you not agree that Satan himself studies humans in order to understand us?

The Word also tells us that there is now neither Jew nor Gentile. I do not understand why you brought that into this discussion in that manner.

There are cultural differences everywhere. What is so wrong with studying a persons culture in order to understand them better?

There's nothing wrong with doing it, but the way they put that out was that you "must" do it or you can never fully understand scripture.  That is why I'm in disagreement with that.  It sort of sends out the message, that unless you have time to study and become a Jewish scholar, you can't really ever understand Scripture, which is supposed to be revealed through the Spirit.  Unless that isn't what they were meaning it to sound like. 

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service