All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Why is this statement always thrown out about.....with people who claim to be Christians???

"So heavenly minded no earthly good".  

So Heavenly Minded You’re No Earthly Good?

JULY 16, 2014 

C. S. Lewis, in Mere Christianity:

A continual looking forward to the eternal world is not (as some modern people think) a form of escapism or wishful thinking, but one of the things a Christian is meant to do.

It does not mean that we are to leave the present world as it is.

If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were just those who thought most of the next.

The Apostles themselves, who set on foot the conversion of the Roman Empire, the great men who built up the Middle Ages, the English Evangelicals who abolished the Slave Trade, all left their mark on Earth, precisely because their minds were occupied with Heaven.

It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this.

Aim at Heaven and you will get earth ‘thrown in’: aim at earth and you will get neither.”

Just such an icky statement....I don't really understand how those who live for Christ Jesus can possibly say it.....  I believe that if you are NOT heavenly minded you will be of no earthly good.  I kind of think that it is a definite ploy of the propaganda and a way for satan to seek, kill, and destroy our beliefs yet again.

Views: 830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am sorry that you have been confused and really troubled by my response and attitude.  

Yes, I do believe that people are ignorant of never having read the Bible and being dispassionate.    Not sure about what you mean when people follow His Word.  I don't think that I've been controlling and not allowing discussion, after all, I'm not the person who shut down discussions.  No I'm not only interested in people that agree with me, but yet I am....because the Bible does say that we will be in agreement, if we all believe in God.  In my opinion I do not understand one iota of you saying having "lost the light of Jesus".  And yes, I still stand on the concept of speaking out like Jeremiah.....I will not defend myself, I proclaim Jesus and His Word & that's it.  

Hi Watchman;

Let me share a story with you.

A friend of mind told me of a time she was standing at the back of a church during the worship service with her eyes closed and her head down.  She was soaking in God's presence quietly.  Her hands were not raised, her eyes were not open, by all appearances she was asleep and disconnected.  However, that couldn't be farther from the truth.  She was worshiping in her own way.  The Pastor came up to her disgusted by how she was disconnected and 'sleeping'.  He told her that if she was not going to engage in the worship she should leave.

It was one of the first things which ignited her gradual walk away from the church and from the Lord.

You never know a person's heart.  Don't rush to judgement.  

Blessings, Carla

I would have left the church for good

Would it have been more appropriate for her to explain what she was doing, and say I forgive you?

Or, I’m sorry if I offended you, I will pray that God would give you the spirit of discernment?

Or, if it is offensive to you for me to pray silently, I will excuse myself and walk out?

But if one is walking in love: what another person, pastor, friend, loved one or relative says, or thinks of you, will have no effect on your spirit, don’t get offended by what a carnally minded person says or does. We get offended when we lose sight of God, and who we are in Christ. Love never fails. If we are born again by the Spirit of God, it is a fruit of the Spirit, and is resident within us.

JB

You're absolutely right JB!  

I pray we will keep our eyes on Him in all things at all times.  It's the 'easy way out' to get caught up in emotions and become offended.  This is a timely and important reminder for me ... yesterday I became offended over something someone said to me.  Thank you for this.  I need to forgive.  It's amazing how quickly offense can creep into our hearts.  

I love what you said here:

"We get offended when we lose sight of God, and who we are in Christ."  

Amen and Amen!!!

Blessings, Carla

Oh no Carla, I don't understand at all how I gave you that impression......."So heavenly minded"  was that a judgement?

I'm not talking about man's ways

Hi Watchman... I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you're referring to.

Hi, My Reply

Heavenly Thoughts are in the first chapter of Genesis which is the air and clouds, or the outer space. It is said the second coming will rise up dead by unknowledgable means. So it takes Faith, Hope and Pray to believe in that , it says "together with the alive" for me i will accomplish it thats the one topmost sin i have the "Pride of Life".There was a commandment or the Law. Sin equals to Death and the Strenght of Sin is the Law which is How our world or Divine or Godly Laws made by God like 10 commandments and 2 commandments of Jesus for Humans. You'll never know if theres is Heaven or Not if Your not alive the Moment the Time passes, or by from your judgement to others that they are "Heavenly Minded and No Earthly Good" and in Opposite of it , if they Die How would you know if they Right to Judge or if theres Heaven waiting for Them. My Advice is Live for the Earthly means by Prioritizing Heavenly things. In the Beggining God created the (1)Heaven and the (2)Earth.

"His peace is lost when we look away from Him. When we fix our eyes upon our worries, it is the things of the next world that grow strangely dim. A sad fact, because, as C. S. Lewis said, 'The Christians who did the most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next.' Worry, if we let it, can become like atheism. It can grow into unbelief about who Jesus is and what Jesus says. This worry acts as if Jesus didn’t exist, or that Jesus isn’t who He says He is." ~T.W.S. Hunt, Winter With God

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service