All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Why is this statement always thrown out about.....with people who claim to be Christians???

"So heavenly minded no earthly good".  

So Heavenly Minded You’re No Earthly Good?

JULY 16, 2014 

C. S. Lewis, in Mere Christianity:

A continual looking forward to the eternal world is not (as some modern people think) a form of escapism or wishful thinking, but one of the things a Christian is meant to do.

It does not mean that we are to leave the present world as it is.

If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were just those who thought most of the next.

The Apostles themselves, who set on foot the conversion of the Roman Empire, the great men who built up the Middle Ages, the English Evangelicals who abolished the Slave Trade, all left their mark on Earth, precisely because their minds were occupied with Heaven.

It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this.

Aim at Heaven and you will get earth ‘thrown in’: aim at earth and you will get neither.”

Just such an icky statement....I don't really understand how those who live for Christ Jesus can possibly say it.....  I believe that if you are NOT heavenly minded you will be of no earthly good.  I kind of think that it is a definite ploy of the propaganda and a way for satan to seek, kill, and destroy our beliefs yet again.

Views: 830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe they say it to justify their walk & choices they're making in their lives. 

This statement has always left me unsettled as well. 

And hey girl. How are you doing these days?

Good....busy, up and down....kind of gets "bouncy" sometimes.  lol  But I'm hanging in there and just leaning into the Lord.  I'm hoping to be here a little more....  Love and have missed you greatly Tammy!  How about you?

Doing good. Moved back to NC thank the good Lord. 

Matt 6:33 "Seek First the Kingdom". Prioritizing the kingdom & seeking it first puts everything else into perspective. Thus, we as Christians should all be heavenly minded

I’ve said it before. It’s not an either/or but both. The Church is made up of new creations who are heavenly minded with a Great Commission to think about, pray about, and go into all the earth to do. 

I can see it, better than I can explain it, I think. For instance, I see it more like a Pharisaical, or a religious description, or perception of a person, or group. A separatist, one that is so consumed with their religious activities, trying to be so pleasing to God, that they are not much help in their relationships with others, not considering another person’s needs etc. A religious person, is one that will do things for someone out of obligation, where a new creation person will do things for others out of compassion, because it is just their new nature to do so, not expecting a heavenly reward. People go to church, pay their tithes, and doing things out of obligation, or their religious duty, not for the purpose it was intended for. But when you are truly born again, you have taken on the nature of God, “Christ” and you will be doing both, helping others and doing these things out of compassion, not obligation. “I beseech you therefore brethren by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service, and be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind. Ro.12:1-2.

I’ve met several people who are in relationship with God (as far as I can know) but struggle time to time with legalism and grace. Those who are in Christ are in the world but not of the world. ‘In’ is a key word. Christians are living stones as well as living sacrifices. Christians belong to the Kingdom of His dear Son but are ambassadors for Christ here in this world. 

For a lot of people this could be very confusing, and I know I will get a lot of flak for even mentioning it. But, I’m sure you aren’t saying there is a difference in “His dear Son”, and “Christ”. They are both one and the same, however if you are using Christ as an epithet for Jesus, then the context could be seen somewhat differently. Jesus was the son of man, but Christ is the Son of God. Christ and God are the same, we as well are supposed to be one with Him, and we are by virtue of Christ "His son" in us. Without Christ  in us, we are just another empty vessel, waiting to be filled with something. The body of Jesus was that vessel God made, or created for Himself to live here on earth.
(I’ve said this before; my mother was a Robinette, my father was a Boyce, I’m a product of both of them, but you can’t separate one from the other in me, except, maybe in personalities) I’m a new born person, a new created being.
How many times do we read where Jesus is referring to Himself as the “Father”? I and my Father are ONE, He said if you have seen me, you have seen the “Father”, they couldn’t see who He actually was, only in the flesh, His physical body, not who He really was God, He was referring to His Real self, which is God. We have become that New Creature, making us His Son. When we accepted Christ as our savior, we ceased being a gentile, same with a Jew that has accepted Christ as his savior, he has ceased being a Jew. We are “NEW CREATURES” making us “THE NEW CREATION” vessels filled with God in us, separate from the rest of the world. Didn’t He say “Wherefore come out from among them and be ye separate, sayeth the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, sayeth the Lord Almighty”2Cor.6:17-18
This is one of the things that I was trying to get at, considering the statement, so “heavenly minded” When one speaks of Jesus as the son of man. And also as the Son of God. We are Sons of God only by virtue of “Christ” His Son, or “God” in us. Here’s one that is really confusing, when they tried to kill Him. John 5:18 (KJV)
18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the Sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
John 5:18 (AMP)
18 This made the Jews more determined than ever to kill Him [to do away with Him]; because He not only was breaking (weakening, violating) the Sabbath, but He actually was speaking of God as being [in a special sense] His own Father, making Himself equal [putting Himself on a level] with God. The religious Jews, too heavenly minded…, they were not much good as far as representing God, or His kingdom to the rest of the world, or for heavenly things.
I could go on with this, with many more scriptures, but I think I have said enough for now.

I apologize for making an unclear reply. Let me clarify. I was making references to several scriptures, one being Colossians 1:13, “Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:” KJB. Truly, we are not of this world but are in the world. Ambassadors is mentioned in 2 Corinthians 5, where the ministry of reconciliation is outlined. There is one God—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—and Christ Jesus is fully human and fully God, but, yes, those are different topics of discussion and I don’t wish to discuss them here. Of course, you and the others are free to do so. 

No offence, sorry if I misunderstood you. This subject will never be discussed in its fulness, especially on this forum. Love ya Amanda, Lord Bless

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service