All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Do you belueve this?
Is it happening today?
Whats the purpose?

Views: 1140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JOSHUA 23:14

{23:14} And, behold, this day I [am] going the way of all the earth: and ye know in all your hearts and in all your souls, that not one thing hath failed of all the good things which the LORD your God spake concerning you; all are come to pass unto you, [and] not one thing hath failed thereof. {23:15} Therefore it shall come to pass, [that] as all good things are come upon you, which the LORD your God promised you; so shall the LORD bring upon you all evil things, until he have destroyed you from off this good land which the LORD your God hath given you. {23:16} When ye have transgressed the covenant of the LORD your God, which he commanded you, and have gone and served other gods, and bowed yourselves to them; then shall the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and ye shall perish quickly from off the good land which he hath given unto you.

Hi C,

Welcome to AAG.

I found this article at www.gotquestions.org and you may find it helpful.

Question: "Is it possible to sell your soul to the devil?"

Answer:
In the fanciful tale of Dr. Faustus, a man makes a deal with the devil: in exchange for his body and soul, the man is to receive supernatural power and pleasures for 24 years. The devil agrees to the trade, and Dr. Faustus enjoys the pleasures of sin for a season, but his doom is sealed. At the end of 24 years, Faustus attempts to thwart the devil’s plans, but he meets a frightful demise, nonetheless. This legend works well as a morality tale and as a metaphor for the wages of sin, but the details of its plot are not biblical.

The Bible has no instance of a person “selling his soul” to Satan, and it never implies that making a bargain with the devil is possible. Here is some of what Scripture does reveal about Satan:

1) Satan has power enough to oppose even the angels (Jude 9; Daniel 10:12-13).

2) Satan seeks to deceive by masquerading as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14-15).

3) God has provided the means of defending ourselves against Satan’s attacks (Ephesians 6:11-12).

4) Satan’s power is limited by God’s will (Job 1:10-12; 1 Corinthians 10:13).

5) As “the god of this world,” Satan has dominion over those who live without Christ in the world (2 Corinthians 4:4).

Surely, there are those who suffer under direct satanic control, such as the young medium of Philippi (Acts 16:16-19). And there are those who have devoted themselves to the devil’s work, such as the sorcerers Simon (Acts 8:9-11) and Elymas (Acts 13:8). However, in each of these three examples, the power of God prevails over Satan’s slavery. In fact, Simon is offered a chance to repent (Acts 8:22). Obviously, there had been no irrevocable “selling” of Simon’s soul.

Without Christ, we are all under condemnation of death (Romans 3:23). Before we are saved, we are all in bondage to the devil, as 1 John 5:19 says, “The whole world lies in the power of the evil one.” Praise the Lord, we have a new Master, One who can break the chains of any sin and set us free (1 Corinthians 6:9-11; Mark 5:1-15).

Recommended Resources: The Serpent of Paradise by Erwin Lutzer and Logos Bible Software.

To answer your questions:

Do you believe this?

I believe that people are blinded by satan.  Before coming to the Lord we (in our fallen nature) like living for ourselves and our own purposes.  It takes courage and strength to admit we are sinners in need of a Saviour....in a word, humility.  Satan, of course opposes humility and everything it stands for.  I understand there are people who are called 'satanists'... I suppose they may think it is worth it to worship satan.  However, they are under a deep deception, and I believe that if they repent and believe the gospel they can be saved.

Is it happening today?

As long as anyone has breathe, they have the ability, freedom and opportunity to repent and believe the gospel.

What's the purpose?

I don't know if there would be a purpose other than to feed their own narcissism and pride.  It comes from a place of desiring all things the world has to offer, and perhaps they think worldly things matter more than God.  Things like fame. wealth, popularity, ....and all the 'stuff' that comes with it.

The interesting thing is, if anyone is not living for Jesus, they are (by default) living for satan. 

Jesus offers us so much more... 

Blessings, Carla

Redemption means the purchase back of something that had been lost, by the payment of a ransom. Christ's sufferings were our ransom. To whom was the ransom paid? From whom or what was Christ buying us back? The debt is said to be fully paid. He ransomed us from being slaves to sin, and He ransomed us from Satan. Those who belong to Jesus have been bought. I don't even know the full total of what it cost Him. I know He's our Redeemer and once redeemed, He doesn't need to keep buying us back over and over again because we belong to Him now.

Hi C, God bless you,

And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve. (2 Corinthians 11:14,15 NIV)

Satan poses as an angel of light. At times he doesn't look that bad on the surface. Just because something seems pretty or looks great on the surface, doesn't mean it's all that great. You have to look inside. Digging into personal experience, I believe God is rich in mercy and has a deep love for all of us. He wants all of to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth.

...who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:4 NIV)

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7 NIV)

I believe God wants to save as many people as possible. I know God intervened for me. We all make choices. We choose to do God's will or we don't.

Love,

Mary

Matthew 12:30 He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.

We have a choice, to accept Christ or not to accept Him - if you believe in free will. We choose not to accept Him, then we stand for Satan. It's not necessarily that one purposefully stands on the side of Satan but not to be for Christ is to be against Him which is on the side of Satan. No middle ground.

They want to do it for power, they usually get caught up in the occult. It does happen I was involved in stuff I won't say. But it's all a lie.
It's an empty promise.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service