All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

As I read many of the posts here at AAG, I wonder why there is so much confusion thrown into Christianity.

We all have a Bible...and many of the Bibles we have are identical. Why can't we believe what the Bibles all say. Why must we depend on the writings of another human to tell us what the Bible is saying? Are we too lazy to read?

I notice various posters actually posting the words of a book or article when we have the true Word of God right before us. These authors are putting to paper their thoughts that might not be God's thoughts. Why deliberately become confused? Many of the articles written by man are written in words I, personally, don't understand and they scream at me "look how smart I am with the words I use". To quote a teacher of mine "that is ignorance gone to seed!"

All these big words that are used to say a simple thing is very tiring for me...and if it's tiring for me, it's tiring for others as well.

Wouldn't we get further if we write of what is actually in the Bible instead of what we think is in the Bible? Wouldn't that develop more knowledge, more understanding, more faith in the written Word? I'm not referring to responding in our own words, but responding with words written by a mere human explaining what God is talking about when many of these writers don't actually know but are writing what they think.

We look at what is in the Bible with finite minds and can't figure out why we aren't on the same page., why we can't get on the same page. I believe in our humanistic minds we can't understand why God operates the way He does so we have to put a different edge to it to understand. By doing that, we change the meaning of what God wants us to know.

OKay, I'm done venting. Responses are welcome (don't use cuss words, please!)

Blessings,

Rita

Views: 356

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sister Rita,

There is infinite complexity and unfathomable depth in the Bible. Why? Because it is THE MIND OF GOD...........

I"ve been studying, growing, and teaching from it for over 30 years now, and still have many questions. I"m constantly finding something new as I read through the Scriptures, and wonder: when did He put that in there?

After all, God says in Isaiah 55:8, " For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, declares the Lord.".

I love Romans 12:1&2.

In verse 2, the word "renew" in the Greek literally means to renovate. if someone was going to renovate a house, the first thing to do is to COMPLETELY tear out all the old fixtures and whatever was originally in that house, and scrap it. Reason being - none of that old stuff is going to be  needed any more.

That's what verse 2 is saying - flush out a new Christian's mind (or even an old one) of that old trashy way of life, because of BEING BORN AGAIN. This is part of our sanctification period.

Can we do that all by ourselves? I can't.............

That's why Jesus sent  the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to help us.

Titus 3:5, " He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit.".

Rita, I believe the Bible tells us that God controls the weather. He caused it to rain for 40 days in Genesis 6, and flood out the earth. It was one of the plagues  He put on the Egyptians, rain and tremendous hail (Exodus 9:18).

I'll tell you, it used to make me mad, years back, when I heard people and insurance companies talking about tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. being ACTS OF GOD. But, I have since found out from the Bible - they are all caused by God.

Let's look at Isaiah 45:7, " The One forming light and creating darkness, causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the Lord Who does all these.". 

Sis, I have to admit....... I've changed my mind regarding different Biblical issues over the years that were pretty well ingrained in my mind. And after sharing with other Christians in Bible studies, church services, etc.

the Holy Spirit showed me a different way to consider a Scriptural passage.

So, my loving advice, is to study, seek truthful answers, and keep your eyes, ears, and heart........open.

Grace and Peace.

Richard,

I have to agree with what you say...however, I don't think that God's Wrath sends storms. The Bible says He sends rain on the just and unjust. I think the storms we have are caused by God through His creation of nature, but I don't think He is doing it for punishment, at least not at this time. Back in Job's day, the windstorm that came to destroy Job's children.....was it Satan or God?

I have checked out the discussion of wrath in the New Testament and it seems that the time of God's Wrath isn't here yet. I think it will come during the tribulation when God pours out His Wrath on the people of this earth. Meanwhile we are in the age of Grace. I would think that there wouldn't be a place for God's Wrath during His Grace period.

I think God did things differently during the period of the Law....the law was His wrath. 

I hope this makes sense to you.....

Rita

Dear Sister Rita,

It's difficult to understand and figure these things, isn't it?

I would rest my case on the windstorm, which I think was probably a tornado, in Job 1:12, " Then the Lord said to Satan,"Behold, ALL THAT HE HAS IS IN YOUR POWER, only do not put forth your hand on him." So Satan departed from the presence of the Lord.".

We know that Satan cannot do anything without the Lord God allowing him to do so, because God is still in absolute supreme power. So we see in verse 12 that God ALLOWED Satan to attack ANYTHING that Job had............. including his children.

Rita, I've heard often times people saying they were "under attack from Satan", which is probably accurate. But, that can only happen with God allowing it, JUST LIKE IN JOB'S SITUATION.

Also, Sis, when we look at this Age of Grace, who benefits and receives the grace? Those who come to God through Christ Jesus.

Most people do not choose LIFE, and I think suffer a  preview of God's wrath, which is just a smidgeon of things to come, as described in Revelation.

It's great to watch events of Prophecy unfold these days, isn't it? But, sad................................

Grace and Peace.

Richard,

I love you but I have to disagree about God allowing Satan, in this Age of Grace, to harm us. God, through the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ, allowed us to enter the Age of Grace, and not giving us a way out, which is to rebuke Satan and he will flee. In this Age of Grace, we have been given many gifts or promises. Why would God allow Satan to hurt us during this time. WE have been given the power to do many wonderful things, healing, casting out demons, raising from the dead. God said He would have us prosper and be in good health.

God didn't remove the *thorn* gift of Satan, from Paul 2 Cor 12. I think God left it because of His promises concerning us and also to keep Paul humble. 

If one researches *Wrath of God* it is something that is coming in future. However, I do think Satan uses various means to display a wrath against us that God is usually blamed for.

How many times have you heard someone say that God allowed an illness? That doesn't sit right with me, considering God's statement of prosperity and good health.

Jesus said that whatever we bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever we loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. I believe God gave us much more power than we actually use because we are being taught in church that we need to ask God for everything instead of, in faith, believing that statement from Christ.

To me, Richard, the Age of Grace is exactly that...the Age of Grace. We at this time have unmerited favor of the Lord and with that gift we are able to accomplish all that we are able to accomplish as Christians. What was happening in the Old Testament, under the law, has been fulfilled, through Christ, our Lord.

Blessings to you always, my brother.

Rita

Greetings Sister Rita,

I love you also. But, we disagree on several points. Can we agree to disagree on non- foundational elements of The Christian Belief?

Which brings me to your excellent questions in your original post.

When did the differences and disagreements start in the Church of Jesus Christ? Answer = In the very first church (Acts, Cha. 6).

How long will differences and disagreements continue in the Church of Jesus Christ? Answer= When Jesus comes back in full glory.

People have been people since Cain kllled Abel, and  basically, we haven't changed since then.

We interpret Biblical verses and passages differently sometimes. Naturally, each one thinks they are correct in God's Word.

I've heard people say things like - Why couldn't God have spelled this out, and made it more clear, so we can understand it?

And then - We'll just have to wait till we get to Heaven and ask Him...............

I personally think that God intentionally produced the Bible this way, so He could see how people would deal with it.

Rita, how many times have you had a discussion with another Christian about some issue, and you quoted certain verses to support your position on the matter. And then, the other person quoted some verses (from the same Bible), that were contrary to your  way of thinking. At this point, what do both of you do? Remember, God is watching................

One thing we feeble human beings have to realize - If God had written the Bible in clear black and white, completely understandable language, where there was no problem with language translations, and no room for analysis, and if, if, if.............

You know what Brothers and Sisters? Then there'd be no room or reason for LOVE, JOY, FAITH, PATIENCE,etc.. Actually it would put the Holy Spirit out of work. He would not have the job of helping us in understanding, and growing in the Word. 

Or, maybe we could do like a certain denomination did back in the "dark ages". JUST DON'T LET OUR PEOPLE HAVE BIBLES.

Their theory was , since the congregations didn't understand the Word anyway, the church would tell the people what the interpretations were, and the folks would all have to abide by  what the leaders said. That way, everybody would be "in agreement".

That's not for me.

I will continue to rest my cases on my selected Scripture. and you, dear Rita, do the same. Let us continue to agree to disagree, with no animosity or malice, so that later, in Heaven we can compare notes. And one of us can say," See, I told you so.".

Grace and Peace. 

Richard,

Now THIS I have to agree with! I also thought of your response of why God wrote the Bible in the manner that He did.... to see how we would handle it. I have always wonder if there isn't a multifold answer to many questions asked regarding situations in the Bible and that we should seek the best one.

There was a question raised last night in Bible Study regarding the Armor of God. We talked about each piece of the armor and the pastor said the coverall answer was Christ Jesus. Which is certainly true enough but...if we know what each piece is, we sorta remind ourselves of what God has blessed us with, what our part is, how we are to use the *armor* that we have.

I can't seem to get enough of God's Word. I have a thirst for it that is overwhelming at times. I know others may not have it and that's fine, I guess. But I seek answers constantly. But, then, one day we will know all things.

Blessings, brother.

Rita

Divisions in the church have been around for a long time and the questions you ask are valid and have been asked by many believers over the years. John Calvin and Martin Luther both came to faith in Christ from different roads by reading the same bible. Both were brilliant in their firmness and opposition to fundamental disagreements with Roman Catholic doctrine and practices. The aggreeded in many aspect of their creeds yet had some points that they disagreed on, such as predestination, infant salvation (would a young child go to heaven if he/she passed away) etc. They were not the only ones who disagreed. In fact, virtually ever protestant group established their own unique creeds. Some reasons include cultural differences, national differences, political differences. The point I want to leave with you is that when interpreting the Bible is to remember that the main things are the plain things and the plain things are the main things.

Robert,

Based on what I have read in the discussions, I see that this is an age-old problem that a person needs to work around. Therefore, I do most of my studying on my own. If I have the opportunity to share with someone, so much the better.

I belong to a Bible Study at my church led by our pastor. I am the one designated to do much of the research on each topic that we study.....currently Hebrews, which we just started. I derive my information from the Bible and some commentaries. If I find something that isn't a popular belief, or isn't what my pastor believes, he disregards it.

Case in point...... Romans 12: 2, my pastor says the only way we can have our minds renewed is through the Holy Spirit. I don't believe that. I think that we can renew our minds by reading and studying God's Word, and determine to change our mind to follow our spirit instead of our flesh. Mind renewal is a lifelong process for us and completed when we go to heaven. Mind renewal is a way to see more clearly what God teaches in His Word. It helps us to understand more readily why we have some of the problems that we have. This particular thing I share with my friends after Bible Study, however, without the endorsement of the pastor, it is difficult.

I used to teach the Bible Study, but throat surgery squelched that. So I continue to study, research, and share my findings....that which God would have me share, all the while trying not to step on the pastor's toes. Kind of tedious, that.

Another case in point, prayer.

In that church, they beg God for things He has already given us. They pray for the same things over and over again. Those are prayers of unbelief many times, especially if the prayer is for themselves. They beg God to go with us, (He lives inside of me so He is always present.)

It sounds as if the church is apostate but there are so many more just like it, most of them that I have attended, in fact. All I can think is it is a church trying to survive on basic Bible teachings. Now you are probably wondering why I continue to go...my kids go there. They have a family relationship to the preacher. I go to try to unteach them. When they have questions I try to have the right answers for them.

I have thought of going to another church, but on top of causing strife, I wouldn't know what they are being taught.

Rita,

It sounds to me like you are an independent thinker that checks everything you hear-good for you! Churches seemingly are filled with attenders that buy into everything they hear without comparing it to what the bible actually says. I have attended many different denominations over the years, mostly because of moving, and the closest one I every found to what I would describe as "Christianity without all the b.s." is a small Quaker church (sorry for the crude imagery). No church is perfect, including this one. What I discovered was a group of believers that actually pray, study and obey the bible, care about one another, and reach out to those in need. Women and men are equal, God can speak to and through anyone, and no one is compelled to force spirituality or make things happen in a church service. The pastor is not held up like a CEO or super spiritual status.

This is only one church and one experience. You are not alone in your quest for true, honest, relevant Christianity. Christ is our ever present teacher who will never leave us or forsake us, so yes, it is rather silly and ignorant to pray and ask God to be with us. An excellent read that I found helpful was reading the journal of George Fox. His 17th century battle was against state run churches with state appointed ministers who often were not true believers. Thinking for ones self, meeting for prayer or bible study and preaching publicly was met with prison sentences and government opposition.

I am not trying to convert you to Quakerism-I pray that God will strengthen you as you continue to search the scriptures and train your children up. My family goes to three separate churches now so that each child has exactly what they need at the stage of life they are in.

I felt more comfortable yesterday in church.....more than I have in quite sometime. The reason wasn't necessarily because I was hearing a better message, but because I am retraining my thinking.....renewing my mind, if you will...

I am beginning to see more and more why a person, in a distressful situation, needs to look more to God for answers. I am trying to end the blame game and start seeing God for what He means to me, regardless of other people involved. I can't separate myself from people that I think don't believe as I do, but I can continue to believe what I am learning and worship God as I think He should be worshiped and still have peace with those around me. Maybe I am focusing more on Christ and less on myself and those that seem not to understand. I know I prayed more for the other members of the church than I ever have before. I prayed for them to have more understanding of God's Word.

I also realize that not every person is on the same level of understanding. But, if they have believed on His Son, they have accomplished what God would want for them. The rest is up to them. Where they go in their walk with the Lord is their decision. Even if I can't help them, I will not harm them.

Sister Rita,

Thank you for sharing your experience at yesterday's church meeting.

I've got my hand up towards you for a long-range cyberspace high-five!

That was great. Yes, it's all about God, the Father, God, the Son, and God, the Holy Ghost. Amen.

There are a lot of Christians who, in error, think it's all about themselves.

We really have to let the Holy Spirit generate a lot of "patience" in us, don't we?

Rita, I really admire your spirit and approach to this whole church situation.

Grace and peace.

Richard,

This approach gives me a lot of peace. Thanks for your kind words.

Blessings,

Rita

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service