All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Some people claim the Sabbath is Saturday and some Sunday, and some don't know if either day is accurate but just celebrate it one one if those days. This of course is due to Exodus 20:8-11:

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

How do you see this in relation to Hebrews 4:1‭-‬11?

Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, “So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’ ” And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works.” And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.” Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.” For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

Views: 169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would also agree with many that the seventh day is according to our calender and not bound to Saturday as the old world had it. Regardless of the origination of that day and calender as the ancients also started their callandars in an arbitrary begining. The 6 plus one is the standard. No naming of particular days in the creation story.

You stated it better than I was.

If you are in Christ, then you are no longer under the law, which the Sabbath was part of. All the law was, and is fulfilled in Christ.

Luke 24:44 (KJV)
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

Galatians 5:14 (KJV)
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

Matthew 5:18 (KJV)
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Luke 16:17 (KJV)
17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Do you think God will honor you more, or answer your prayers more readily, by setting aside a certain day to worship Him over another? So I wouldn’t think it would make any difference if you worshiped Him from 8:00 pm till 8:00 am on a Wed. night in the middle of the week, it is your heart He is interested in, not your performance. To be religious about worshipping God, that is setting a certain time or day, puts it in a lawful frame work. One would “if he missed doing it on that certain day and time” would come under self-condemnation, which He is not interested in your sacrifices. Ps.51, thou desirest not sacrifice, else would I give it, thou delighteth not in burnt offerings, but the sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart oh God thou will not despise.  Not to say that you don’t have love, “Charity “But 1Cor.13, tells us that all these things that we can do, and have not Love, they will be worthless and nothing, no profit. God doesn’t love you any more for your performance, than He would without them, God is Love, and He loves us just the way we are. Thank God!!

When He said in John 12:31-33 (KJV)
 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all menunto me.
33   This he said, signifying what death he should die.

Notice in the 32nd vs. He said “ and if I be lifted up, will draw all men unto me,  men being  Italicized indicating that it was added in by men, but He is talking about “judgement”  not men. He will be drawing all judgment unto Him. Judgement for the sin of the world. Therein is all the judgement fulfilled.  

Thank You Eric & JB, 

I so appreciate you both and love you both.  With saying this....people have often tried to discourage following the commands of the law of God.  Many get confused with the law of Moses, those added laws, but the LORD's Holy written commandments never have gone away.  

Matthew 5:17 -- “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill.

Matthew Henry's Commentary states:

5:17-20 Let none suppose that Christ allows his people to trifle with any commands of God's holy law. No sinner partakes of Christ's justifying righteousness, till he repents of his evil deeds. The mercy revealed in the gospel leads the believer to still deeper self-abhorrence. The law is the Christian's rule of duty, and he delights therein. If a man, pretending to be Christ's disciple, encourages himself in any allowed disobedience to the holy law of God, or teaches others to do the same, whatever his station or reputation among men may be, he can be no true disciple. Christ's righteousness, imputed to us by faith alone, is needed by every one that enters the kingdom of grace or of glory; but the new creation of the heart to holiness, produces a thorough change in a man's temper and conduct.

JB, 

I'm so sorry, but I do disagree with you, inasmuch as you said it's religious, i.e. legalism to follow the Commandments, but it's truly not, it should be a joy.  We have a plumb line, a standard set forth throughout the Old Testament & the New Testament.

Loving the LORD is love.  This is not about following the rules and walking a balance beam, this is the truth about a contrite heart and a broken spirit.  This is about being so grateful and joyful and loved when a poor in spirit person knows that they do not deserve one bit of it.  I WANT to follow Him, I want to do everything He asks of me, I do this by faith and His strength, grace, and mercy.     

The LORD says to us to count the cost of following Him.  When the rich man spoke to Jesus, he couldn't follow Him because he couldn't give up where his heart was at....Jesus didn't rebuke him, he simply let him go, knowing everything this "rich" man was truly giving up by remaining in his position.  You see the "rich" man felt to tied to his earthly "stuff".  Jesus doesn't force us, but He does expect us to have a heart that is yielding to Him.  A heart that doesn't do that, is most certainly a heart that doesn't love nor follow Him.  

The LORD Jesus himself says:  

The Fulfillment of the Law

17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.  [Bold mine]

19So then, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do likewise will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

So what happened when Jesus fulfilled the law ? do we now have forgiveness for our sins providing we have our Faith in Him.   

Was everything Accomplished by Him but the law of the Commandments are simply lasing for all time ... always the law but failure is not a death sentance in Hell for the believer.  ?

When asked which are the greatest of commandments He replied ;  our full love of God and  to love our fellow man as we wish to be loved ... and as He Loves us. 

My righteousness will not exceed on my own and I depend on Jesus to grant me His or I will never enter the Kingdom of heaven.  His work in me is at His own pace so how can I add to it or speed it up ?  I don't think I can.  I can only keep trying to not block what He is bringing.  That wilful disobedience would be  headed towards the unforgivable Sin but short of that He promices that all of my Sins can be forgiven.    I depend on His Mercy while trying to do my part in His Holiness and commandments but without His Grace I am lost , sunk , kaput. 

I get what you are saying Eric.  What I'm saying is that many people will use that as a copout...In other words, say ah well I messed up again, but God won't use that against me.  There is definately an effort on our part AND staying in the vine so to speak.  What happened to the verse, "With God all things are possible?"  With God we are overcomers, with God we can have freedom, with God we can lead a life holy and we can glorify God in all our endeavors, but so many times we lack the effort.  God doesn't force us to righteousness and holy living, we work WITH God, not without Him.  If we truly have faith in Him and are yielding, submitting our lives to Him in every little or big thing in our lives, we will have victory.  God says it, I believe it!  

You are right, all the law comes down to those two things, Love God with all of your heart and love our fellow man as we wished to be loved.  I'm going to speak for myself, but I've never had a problem looking out for myself or loving myself...have you?  That's how we should love one another.  We SHOULD depend on Him with every single breath.  Count the cost Jesus said.  When Jesus said, "Go and sin no more."  Was Jesus setting the Christian up for failure?  

I believe that many Christians underestimate the power of God.  Their failing is that they think that it's all upon them....but the Christian that relies upon faith in God is in a far superior place than those of us who only rely upon Him from time to time.  

I guess many may  use the copout , but I wouldn't know  for sure.

I agree that we must try . It is hard not to. 

What I am getting at is the perfection is not our own and the work He does in us is His will and gifts ,not our singular effort. I assume we agree.  

Transformation may actually be total  when received but getting a grip on His new Life for us/in us ,  is sometimes complicated and is internalized in growing amounts, by perception and by the ability to accept it. Such things as learning to trust or even to love fully is sometimes complicated by our past, singular/ life experience.  We have road blocks that drop away by His power but sometimes they are a progressing event and  not total or at once  whole.

You make it clear above that you havent an issue with self love/ past tense . And by the nature of the question it is apparent that you may presume the same of others.  Maybe most do Love themself . I wouldn't know. 

I think I am learning to love myself  , as I am internalizing this new life.  In the absence of our Lord , self is all there is and self gratification rules our life but I am not sure if that is love . 

Actually yes,  I have had a problem looking out for myself and loving myself.   Less of a problem loving and caring for others. 

No, Jesus was not setting His people up for failure . He was encouraging the potential of being in His Holiness if only we let go of our old life and trust in Him with all we have.  It is His work but a joint venture . Our part is to let go of the snags of our past and be as He is .  We can only go at the pace we are gifted , or slower . 

I believe that The process of becoming serves more than ourself . It is used in relationship to others as well.  We are insruments of His plan while changing in our growth and it seems to be useful in reaching others all along the spectrum that we are developing and not just immediatly developed.  Maybe that changes after... 

I agree with the substance of your thoughts and appreciate the questions that you ask.

I am a bit odd in how I process things.  A complication of my construction I believe .          Often times I arrive at a destination backwards . 

Eric, I would like to ask you a question, If sin will send a person to hell, which one will it be, in light of Ro.14:14-23.

Did not He say that He not only died for our sins, but for the sin of the whole world. So you could say to anyone, that their sins are forgiven, it is just that they don't know it, and have not accepted the free gift of salvation that God has provided for them. It is just a matter of believing and accepting what He has purchased for us. There is nothing that you or anyone can do to EARN, or WARRENT it. Though we sin, He is not imputing those sins against us. Ro.4.

God has given to us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him. Knowledge  (EPIGNOSIS) full discernment

I think you misunderstood my comment JB.  I will expand and expound what I was saying/asking above.     Always the law/commandments are in existance but if we are in Christ there is no death sentance for sin.  It is forgiven and covered/purchased , as you point out. 

I am not convinced that it applies to everyone but that is not the issue.

If sin will send anyone to hell then which will it be in light of Romans 14:14-23?

Jesus died for the sin of the whole world, but unfortunately few will receive it.  Believing...is insufficient, for even the demons believe and tremble...correct?  

Sin was once a death sentance but there is a way to get clemency...

Jesus did die for the sins of the whole world but not as a free pass to sin and not all will receive the good life that it offers. 

.  He included all as potential followers of Him but one must follow Him to gain the gift.  To believe can be to accept as real but the greater meaning is to follow  and to keep His words , His nature , as our own form / ideals  and to measure and strive to be in harmony with His words and commandments. 

Only the deeper meaning of believe is suficient which includes actions begining with a change of heart and flowing from that change in form, with fellow man, and honoring God .

Good fruit is the measure of good deeds from the good source which is God . 

Perfect....Eric.  Thank You!

Jesus did say we prove we truly are His disciples by bearing fruit and more fruit. So if we're not bearing fruit, can we say we truly believe?

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2017   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service