All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Some people claim the Sabbath is Saturday and some Sunday, and some don't know if either day is accurate but just celebrate it one one if those days. This of course is due to Exodus 20:8-11:

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

How do you see this in relation to Hebrews 4:1‭-‬11?

Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, “So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’ ” And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works.” And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.” Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.” For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

Views: 1202

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Mark 2:26-28 (KJV)
26  How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?
27  And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
28  Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Romans 14:1-17 (AMP)
1  AS FOR the man who is a weak believer, welcome him [into your fellowship], but not to criticize his opinions or pass judgment on his scruples or perplex him with discussions.
2  One [man's faith permits him to] believe he may eat anything, while a weaker one [limits his] eating to vegetables.
3  Let not him who eats look down on or despise him who abstains, and let not him who abstains criticize and pass judgment on him who eats; for God has accepted and welcomed him.
4  Who are you to pass judgment on and censure another's household servant? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he shall stand and be upheld, for the Master (the Lord) is mighty to support him and make him stand.
5  One man esteems one day as better than another, while another man esteems all days alike [sacred]. Let everyone be fully convinced (satisfied) in his own mind.
6  He who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. He also who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God; while he who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.
7  None of us lives to himself [but to the Lord], and none of us dies to himself [but to the Lord, for]
8  If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or we die, we belong to the Lord.
9  For Christ died and lived again for this very purpose, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
10  Why do you criticize and pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you look down upon or despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God.
11  For it is written, As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me, and every tongue shall confess to God [acknowledge Him to His honor and to His praise].
12  And so each of us shall give an account of himself [give an answer in reference to judgment] to God.
13  Then let us no more criticize and blame and pass judgment on one another, but rather decide and endeavor never to put a stumbling block or an obstacle or a hindrance in the way of a brother.
14  I know and am convinced (persuaded) as one in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is [forbidden as] essentially unclean (defiled and unholy in itself). But [none the less] it is unclean (defiled and unholy) to anyone who thinks it is unclean.
15  But if your brother is being pained or his feelings hurt or if he is being injured by what you eat, [then] you are no longer walking in love. [You have ceased to be living and conducting yourself by the standard of love toward him.] Do not let what you eat hurt or cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died!
16  Do not therefore let what seems good to you be considered an evil thing [by someone else]. [In other words, do not give occasion for others to criticize that which is justifiable for you.]
17  [After all] the kingdom of God is not a matter of [getting the] food and drink [one likes], but instead it is righteousness (that state which makes a person acceptable to God) and [heart] peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

I think I know what you're pointing at but can you tell me your thoughts on it? Cause what I'm seeing makes a difference in what I always thought of the Sabbath. Wondering if anyone else does.

I haven't been on here in a very long time and I can tell you I've missed this place.

I think that we've discussed this before, but I might be wrong and there are various interpretations of the Sabbath and the day it should be.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

I've always been thoughtful about why out of all the commandments, the Lord asked us to remember the Sabbath day, to keep Holy....I'm assuming when someone tells me to remember something it's their wish that I not forget it. It states the 7th day, without specifically talking about Sat., but we can all agree that Saturday is our 7th day.  

When we visit the New Testament, they talk about the Sabbath...and then they talk about the Lord's day, but they never intermingle the two, nor do I see it change.  So if the Bible doesn't say it changed, what would grant me the authority to change it?  

I would like to offer more later...must get up early for work, so I'd just like to use this as a diving board to delve into deeper waters of the Lord's Word.  

Love you and pray that all is well with each and everyone of you!

I can't agree on Saturday being the Sabbath. I can't agree on Sunday either. We don't know what day they determined as the 7th. We only know our weeks as they currently stand. Scripture also shows that God is more interested in the heart than in following a set of laws. If He wanted us to rest on Saturday, I believe He'd have specified Saturday. He also said the Sabbath was made for man and healed on the Sabbath and told those He healed to pick up their mats, knowing the Pharisees would object.

Another thing regarding the above passages, the O.T. has a lot of symbolism. Such as what the temple represents. Which is what I'm wondering regarding these passages.

Hey Seek,

Let me ask you this, Did God give the 4th Commandment only to the Jews and the other 9 to everyone else?

Then let me ask you where in the New Testament does it say that the Sabbath has become a different day than the 7th day?  The Bible is pretty clear and both the Old Testament and New Testament both are intertwined and both agree with each other, correct?  Never once in the New Testament did they ever call the Sabbath the Day of the Lord and vice versa.  When they were referring to the Sabbath, that's exactly what they called it.  The 7th day is our Saturday, the first day of the week is our Sunday.  It's a day to worship, to refresh, to have no other agenda, but that of spending your day with the Lord, how AWESOME is that!!

Here are a few quotes about "who" has had a hand in the change of days....

Who Made Sunday Holy?
“Question - Which is the Sabbath day?
“Answer - Saturday is the Sabbath day.
“Question - Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
“Answer - We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church, in the Council of Laodicea (A.D. 364), transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.” — Peter Geiermann, C.S.S.R., The Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, p. 50, 3rd edition, 1957.

“Perhaps the boldest thing, the most revolutionary change the Church ever did, happened in the first century. The holy day, the Sabbath, was changed from Saturday to Sunday. ‘The day of the Lord’ was chosen, not from any direction noted in the Scriptures, but from the (Catholic) Church’s sense of its own power…People who think that the Scriptures should be the sole authority, should logically become 7th Day Adventists, and keep Saturday holy.” — St. Catherine Church Sentinel, Algonac, Michigan, May 21, 1995.

Whose Day of Worship is Sunday?
“They [the Protestants] deem it their duty to keep the Sunday holy. Why? Because the Catholic Church tells them to do so. They have no other reason…The observance of Sunday thus comes to be an ecclesiastical law entirely distinct from the divine law of Sabbath observance…The author of the Sunday law…is the Catholic Church.” — Ecclesiastical Review, February 1914.

“It is well to remind the Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and all other Christians, that the Bible does not support them anywhere in their observance of Sunday. Sunday is an institution of the Roman Catholic Church, and those who observe the day observe a commandment of the Catholic Church.” — Priest Brady, in an address reported in The News, Elizabeth, New Jersey, March 18, 1903.

Who Do We Reverence by Keeping Sunday Holy?
“I have repeatedly offered $1,000 to anyone who can prove to me from the Bible alone that I am bound to keep Sunday holy. There is no such law in the Bible. It is a law of the holy Catholic Church alone. The Bible says, ‘Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.’ The Catholic Church says: ‘No. By my divine power I abolish the Sabbath day and command you to keep holy the first day of the week.’ And lo! The entire civilized world bows down in a reverent obedience to the command of the holy Catholic Church.” — father T. Enright, C.S.S.R. of the Redemptoral College, Kansas City, in a lecture at Hartford, Kansas, February 18, 1884, printed in History of the Sabbath, p. 802.

“It was the Catholic church which…has transferred this rest to Sunday in remembrance of the resurrection of our Lord. Therefore the observance of Sunday by the Protestants is an homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the (Catholic) church.” — Monsignor Louis Segur, Plain Talk About the Protestantism of Today, p. 213

Obedience to the Lord is ALWAYS GOOD, it is our duty, it is our blessed Savior, there is nothing in this world that can ever ever ever compare to the love we have for Christ Jesus and definately His great love for us.  May we Glorify Him with every single breath, even our last one. This is definately an age where evil seems good and good seems evil.  

Again, who says the 7th day was Saturday during the days of Moses? Was there even a day called Saturday and was that the 7th day on their calendar? And some calendars start with Monday BTW.

So happy to reply to you Eric, makes me smile.

No, I have never once meant to say that worshipping God should be resigned to one day only, but the LORD wanted us to cease from worldly work; things; to spend an entire day worshipping and having a most wonderful relationship with our LORD and Creator.  Not to say that all other days be spent without our LORD & Savior, but with Him....But on the Sabbath, to be with Him fully, without the world entering in.  

What the Bible says:  is that there isn't an 8th day or 1st day to remember to keep holy, but the 7th day.  All days should remain in the love of God and all earnestness should remain in the love of God, and all days should we strive with the strength of God to be Holy, but on that Sabbath Day....It should be all about our God.  Every thought, every move, everything on that day should be devoted to God.  I can guarantee you, one day spent drinking in His Word, praying, lifting our every single concern and devotion to God, you will be uplifted and restored.

But...the 4th commandment was never null; voided; or changed.  The LORD is the same throughout the entire Scripture, Old Testament & New.  Same Grace, Mercy, and Forgiveness flow throughout.  

But people do it every Sunday, right?  Celebration of the Sabbath???  Supposedly, anyhow, they get up, put their Sunday finest on, go to church in their cars, worship to the choirs who usually sing the latest hits of the Christian world, listen to a sermon about ONE verse in the Bible, then go home and fill their day with football, baseball, etc.  Most Christians believe that they are going to church on the Sabbath...and the sad thing is that is not at all what the Sabbath is about.

You cannot randomly change what the LORD has said, regardless of how you or I feel about it.  He never lowers His standards for anyone, it remains the same.  You cannot, for instance say, well I am calling Wed. my Sabbath, that is not what the LORD said....

Maybe I'm tired, maybe not....more perhaps frustrated with how everyone seems to be writing off and changing the times according to what they may deem as appropriate.  How many of the other commandments are going to accomodate personal circumstances and interpretations.  Frustrated and disappointed to say the least. 

But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

God's more interested in our worship than which day we believe is or isn't the seventh. He looks at the heart and not how we sacrificially follow a set of laws . His Commandments said 7th, not Saturday or Sunday. So if you feel Saturday is the correct 7th day, or Sunday, or any day in between, you're keeping the 7th day of your work week holy and set aside for rest. But in all honesty, how restful are we driving to and from church?
I would also agree with many that the seventh day is according to our calender and not bound to Saturday as the old world had it. Regardless of the origination of that day and calender as the ancients also started their callandars in an arbitrary begining. The 6 plus one is the standard. No naming of particular days in the creation story.

You stated it better than I was.

If you are in Christ, then you are no longer under the law, which the Sabbath was part of. All the law was, and is fulfilled in Christ.

Luke 24:44 (KJV)
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

Galatians 5:14 (KJV)
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

Matthew 5:18 (KJV)
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Luke 16:17 (KJV)
17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Do you think God will honor you more, or answer your prayers more readily, by setting aside a certain day to worship Him over another? So I wouldn’t think it would make any difference if you worshiped Him from 8:00 pm till 8:00 am on a Wed. night in the middle of the week, it is your heart He is interested in, not your performance. To be religious about worshipping God, that is setting a certain time or day, puts it in a lawful frame work. One would “if he missed doing it on that certain day and time” would come under self-condemnation, which He is not interested in your sacrifices. Ps.51, thou desirest not sacrifice, else would I give it, thou delighteth not in burnt offerings, but the sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart oh God thou will not despise.  Not to say that you don’t have love, “Charity “But 1Cor.13, tells us that all these things that we can do, and have not Love, they will be worthless and nothing, no profit. God doesn’t love you any more for your performance, than He would without them, God is Love, and He loves us just the way we are. Thank God!!

When He said in John 12:31-33 (KJV)
 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all menunto me.
33   This he said, signifying what death he should die.

Notice in the 32nd vs. He said “ and if I be lifted up, will draw all men unto me,  men being  Italicized indicating that it was added in by men, but He is talking about “judgement”  not men. He will be drawing all judgment unto Him. Judgement for the sin of the world. Therein is all the judgement fulfilled.  

Thank You Eric & JB, 

I so appreciate you both and love you both.  With saying this....people have often tried to discourage following the commands of the law of God.  Many get confused with the law of Moses, those added laws, but the LORD's Holy written commandments never have gone away.  

Matthew 5:17 -- “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill.

Matthew Henry's Commentary states:

5:17-20 Let none suppose that Christ allows his people to trifle with any commands of God's holy law. No sinner partakes of Christ's justifying righteousness, till he repents of his evil deeds. The mercy revealed in the gospel leads the believer to still deeper self-abhorrence. The law is the Christian's rule of duty, and he delights therein. If a man, pretending to be Christ's disciple, encourages himself in any allowed disobedience to the holy law of God, or teaches others to do the same, whatever his station or reputation among men may be, he can be no true disciple. Christ's righteousness, imputed to us by faith alone, is needed by every one that enters the kingdom of grace or of glory; but the new creation of the heart to holiness, produces a thorough change in a man's temper and conduct.

JB, 

I'm so sorry, but I do disagree with you, inasmuch as you said it's religious, i.e. legalism to follow the Commandments, but it's truly not, it should be a joy.  We have a plumb line, a standard set forth throughout the Old Testament & the New Testament.

Loving the LORD is love.  This is not about following the rules and walking a balance beam, this is the truth about a contrite heart and a broken spirit.  This is about being so grateful and joyful and loved when a poor in spirit person knows that they do not deserve one bit of it.  I WANT to follow Him, I want to do everything He asks of me, I do this by faith and His strength, grace, and mercy.     

The LORD says to us to count the cost of following Him.  When the rich man spoke to Jesus, he couldn't follow Him because he couldn't give up where his heart was at....Jesus didn't rebuke him, he simply let him go, knowing everything this "rich" man was truly giving up by remaining in his position.  You see the "rich" man felt to tied to his earthly "stuff".  Jesus doesn't force us, but He does expect us to have a heart that is yielding to Him.  A heart that doesn't do that, is most certainly a heart that doesn't love nor follow Him.  

The LORD Jesus himself says:  

The Fulfillment of the Law

17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.  [Bold mine]

19So then, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do likewise will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service