All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

What is the symbolic application for us today of God's historical deliverance of His people from Egypt, their wanderings in the desert, and final entrance into the Promised Land?

Is it accurate to say:

1. The deliverance from Egypt is symbolic of the salvation experience

2. The wandering in the wilderness, and God's dealings with the people during this time is symbolic of our sanctification process

3. Their entering the Promised Land is symbolic of,

a) our passing from this life to eternal life with Jesus (passing the river Jordan symbolic of our bodily death), or, 

b) being filled (not just indwelt) with the Holy Spirit

?

I'm particularly interested to know if the second point is accurate. When I read about God's dealings with the people in the wilderness, and how they were prone to complaining, unbelief, idolatry and rebellion, I wonder if it's accurate to put believers in their place (recognizing we still commit these sins in our hearts after salvation), and how God sanctifies us by how He dealt with them. 

For example, is Psalm 78 about the sanctification process, or salvation/lack of salvation?

OR 

Is is accurate to assume that the born-again salvation experience isn't symbolized by Israel's deliverance from Egypt, but their entering into the Promised Land, in which case those who perished in the wilderness are NOT saved. If this is the case, I would have to apply the wilderness years in a very different way. 

I hope this is clear enough. 

Thanks, 

Jenny

Views: 2783

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder about Moses not entering into the Promised Land?  

Good point

Moses believed the bad report of Canaan (not God)  from 11 of the 12 spies sent to check out Cabaan - for this resaon God barred him from entering the promised land - only Joshua and Caled gave favorable reports

Num 20:7-13 KJV  And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,  (8)  Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink.  (9)  And Moses took the rod from before the LORD, as he commanded him.  (10)  And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?  (11)  And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.  (12)  And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.  (13)  This is the water of Meribah; because the children of Israel strove with the LORD, and he was sanctified in them.

Deu 32:48-52 KJV And the LORD spake unto Moses that selfsame day, saying, (49) Get thee up into this mountain Abarim, unto mount Nebo, which is in the land of Moab, that is over against Jericho; and behold the land of Canaan, which I give unto the children of Israel for a possession: (50) And die in the mount whither thou goest up, and be gathered unto thy people; as Aaron thy brother died in mount Hor, and was gathered unto his people: (51) Because ye trespassed against me among the children of Israel at the waters of Meribah-Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin; because ye sanctified me not in the midst of the children of Israel. (52) Yet thou shalt see the land before thee; but thou shalt not go thither unto the land which I give the children of Israel.

We all fail. Moses went to an even better land. The sins of all repentant believers are forgiven. Moses is safe and continuing in a very prominent role:

Luke 9:28-31

28 About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. 29 As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. 30 Two men, Moses and Elijah, 31 appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem. NIV84

What an honor is here given to this great man of God. Peter was right to get so excited even though he didn't know what he was doing. I'm excited just thinking about this incident. His work is still not finished. He is an example to us all about how God forgives and continues to use His own in a great measure. We are all blessed to have Moses as a brother in the Lord.

Roy,

Agreed. My posting was of Scripture only in regards to why Moses did not enter into the earthly promised land. As you pointed out we know that he is in a better place.

Lord Bless,

LT

Amen Roy & LT.  

I'm not wanting to cause any division here. Most realize I am a little Calvinistic. I am one that believes God uses circumstances. I'm not sure how much he determines actions but He certainly does use them. Wouldn't it be great if striking the rock instead of speaking to a rock was our worst sin? God knew from the beginning of creation that Moses was going to do that. I believe it was in His eternal plan for Joshua to lead the Israelites across the Jordan into Canaan. 

Here, also, was a good lesson for us all to be sure that we follow God's instructions explicitly. Our eternal destiny is not in question but other things are. He uses circumstances to accomplish his eternal plan. How else could Romans 8:28-30 work? He causes all things to work for our good. Giving Moses this tremendous retirement package was always in His plan. If any man deserved it (no man really deserves it) Moses would be that man. Yes, Moses came to speak to Jesus on Mount Transfiguration. Is that all he has done since retiring from this world? I really doubt it. I know we all have this great cloud of witnesses surrounding us (which doesn't really say anything about what they are doing now), but we do sometimes feel like we are being helped just like Jesus was up there on that mountain. 

Have you ever been reading part of Scripture and feel like the characters just pop out of the pages and are right there in the room with you? Okay, I am getting crazy but I really do feel sometimes I am getting help. Sometimes we feel we cannot continue on. Yet, special help arrives and here we go - continuing to do that which we have been called to do. I have often felt I could not go into a classroom of screaming kids one more time teaching them math concepts and that God is the Mathematician. Yet, strength comes and here I am at 68 doing what so many tell me that couldn't do at my age. 

We all have a job to do just like Jesus did. I am so happy to be serving in His Kingdom. Yet, I do have to have His help. However He does it, He really does do it. Scripture is our best comfort. These lives that have been lived long ago are such a great source of strength. 

Gotta g0 before I get too far out there. Time to go to church. It is wonderful to be friends with fellow servants in His Kingdom. 

Blessings and have a wonderful Lord's day.

Thank you so much for your correction which I think is about 20,000% correct.  It's been awhile since I have read any of the Torah and your reply got me interested in a little further investigation.  Had I read before I wrote the original reply all would have been fine.

You are welcome.

To put it more simply, how are Christians supposed to apply God's dealings with the nation of Israel to their own walk?

Is this accurate:

Israel = a Christian 

Are Israel's ups and downs meant to illustrate ups and downs in a Christian's walk?

This is something I've been trying to understand for quite some time, but I have a hard time expressing exactly what I mean. Hopefully this is more clear. 

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service