All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Series #16:  The Holy Spirit

PENTECOSTAL LIFE - LESSON #12

Again in Samaria, the people were saved and baptized in water, yet the Holy Spirit had fallen on none of them.  In Acts 19:2, Paul asked a group of believers, "Have you received the Holy Ghost since you believed?"  The gift of the Holy Ghost was so real, believers were expected to know whether they had received it or not.  Pentecost is an experience.  It is NOT somebody teaching you how to say a few words that they call a prayer language.  It is a definite experience of God the Holy Ghost coming into you, and you into Him.

When you were born again, the Holy Spirit baptized you into Christ.  But when you were filled with the Holy Spirit, Christ baptized you in the Holy Ghost.  The latter is as definite as the former.

Ye shall know...ask... and do.  The promise of our Lord concerning the Holy Ghost gathers around the centers of knowledge, prayer and service.  First, He said, "Ye shall know" - that's knowledge.  Second, "Ye shall ask" - that's prayer.  Third, "Ye shall do" - that's work.  Knowledge, prayer and service.  Pentecost brings certainty in knowledge, assurance in prayer, and power in service.  Begin your day with God.  Seek Him early.  Make the first part of your day an altar.  There determine the will and course of God for that day.  By the Holy Spirit, you can know, you can pray, and you can do.

The fullness of the Holy Ghost brings the certainty of revelation to the heart.  The men of Pentecost knew the things of God.  No theological instruction could have given Peter the doctrine he preached concerning Christ's life, death and resurrection.  "At that day ye shall know..." (John 14:20), said Jesus, and when that day came, they knew.  They knew the essential relationship between Christ and God.  They knew the mysterious union between Christ and the believer.  They knew that Christ was in the believer as the Son was in the Father.  The Spirit filled believers know.  All questions are answered in the Holy Ghost.  He is the mind of God.  Being led of the Spirit is simply knowing the mind of God, knowing the thoughts of God.

The Pentecostal blessings makes the believer mighty in prayer.  "In that day ye shall ask me nothing...(What day?  The day the Holy Ghost comes)....Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in My Name, He will give it to you"  (John 16:23)  Prayer is an impossible task without the Holy Ghost.  We do not know what to pray for.  "...but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings that cannot be uttered."  (Romans 8:26)  Only the Spirit filled knows that kind of praying.  This is the kind of praying that wrought miracles in the book of Acts, pleads the Name, enthrones the Name, claims the Name.  It prays in His Will, presents His Promise, and decrees His Power.

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reply by Rita Cullimore 10 hours ago

I don't believe that God wants us to "see" the Holy Spirit. As you said above, belief is the key. What God wants is just FAITH....and we are told to "live by faith and not by sight"
Good morning, Fix
.The Holy Spirit is where one can "see" Him if one seeks to "see" Him. Belief is the key. I have enjoyed "hearing you" state you opinions.

Let me rewrite that statement.
*The Holy Spirit is where one can understand Him if one seeks to understand Him. Belief (faith) is the key. I have enjoyed reading your opinions,

Do you understand what I wrote and that you and I are in agreement? God mentions "Spirit" or "Holy Spirit" in His Word (the Bible) literally hundreds of times in the Bible. (90 times as Holy Spirit) and many times as "Spirit". This is a good indicator that God wants us to understand Who the Holy Spirit is and what part that He plays in our lives. His part in our relationship to the Lord Jesus Christ is HUGE.

I will continue to try to understand all that the Holy Spirit means to me, and because of that I will continue to grow in His Word. I pray that you do the same in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ...

Many Blessings.
Reply by Michelle Thompson 8 minutes ago

Michelle,

I don't know if you are referring to me, but I can tell you now that I don't limit God at all. In fact IMO you are the one limiting God when you say "...leading me to a place where He is invited in to every service and praised, worshipped and lifted up in the name of Jesus"

If you read my reply to Rita, you'll discover that the Bible (not me) tells you that God and Christ are One, and this One dwells IN YOU, in the spirit. Now, if God dwells in you, He's obviously with you wherever you go....wouldn't you think?

(Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.)

So..if God is with you wherever you go, how can you "invite Him" when He's already there? Doesn't make sense to me at all. And where's that "place"? God doesn't come to a geographical "place"....He's IN you! All the time. Service? No, there's no services that we can do for God..that's works, not faith. Worship? There's only one way to worship God, and it's not in singing, dancing, praying and all those ritualistic works or liturgy. The Bible says this:
Romans 12:1
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—THIS is your spiritual act of worship.

That's true worship. Not my words....nor my opinion, but it's what the Bible says
Reply by Michelle Thompson 12 hours ago

OK...you were not previously referring to me.

What about now, though? Why are you telling me "God will not be in a place where there is evil." What's this all abouit?
Reply by Rita Cullimore 5 hours ago

Rita

Does this scripture tell you who the Holy Spirit is?

Romans 8:9-11
But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Can I express an opinion as to what this scripture tells us...? OK, I'll take a chance and risk expressing another opinion of mine...sorry

The Spirit is the substance of God Himself. Did you notice the "of's" in those verses? So God (in the spirit) and Christ (in the spirit) who are both One (John 10:30 "I and the Father are one"), then the One is IN YOU
Hi Fix You,
I am sure but I think you are avoiding the Holy Spirit in the Trinity and therefore avoiding the Trinity itself.

One thing I did in being able to understand the Trinity was to pick out all the verses in the Bible that referred to the Holy Spirit. Once I did that, I could understand that there were 3 people in the Godhead.

It is difficult for us humans, to understand the unity that exists in the godhead. Once we understand that, we can more readily understand the 3 persons of the Godhead.
A good verse where one can see all 3 persons at work is when Jesus was baptised,

16 And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him,2 and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; 17 and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son,3 with whom I am well pleased.”

The Holy Bible : English Standard Version. Wheaton : Standard Bible Society, 2001, S. Mt 3:16-17

‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.”
The Holy Bible : English Standard Version. Wheaton : Standard Bible Society, 2001, S. Jn 1:33-34

I hope this short note helps you in your studies.
Blessings!
Reply by Rita Cullimore 10 hours ago

You are inded perceptive. Oh yes, I believed in the trinity many years ago, because I was indoctrinated to accept that this was truth. But over the years I have indeed studied it in depth and now understand that it is not true at all, in fact it is totally unbiblical

But whether one believes in the trinity nor not, does not affect our salvation.

What is disappointing however, is that both you and Michelle have completely avoided any discussion or debate over the verses I have posted. Instead, you've just come back with ones of your own. This is futile, and I don't wish to get involved in any kind of situation where people just keep quoting verses of the Bible at each other. And my post above to which you replied to has got nothing whatever to do with the trinity...
Romans 8:9-11
But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit,(Holy Spirit) if indeed the Spirit of God (Holy Spirit) dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ,(Holy Spirit) he is not His.(Son's) And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit(Holy Spirit) of Him(Father) who raised Jesus(Son) from the dead dwells in you, He (Father)who raised Christ (Son)from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit (Holy Spirit) who dwells in you.

I just figured if you couldn't "see" (understand) the Trinity with your own posting, that you would see it through the verses I posted.
Sorry, Michele.
I thought it necessary to respond to Fix It's comments about the Holy Spirit and the Trinity. Also Fix It, sorry you can't see the Holy Spirit in the Trinity or apparently even believe in Him.

Blessings to you both.

Rita
Hey family,

Bear with me as I do what I do best. Stick my nose in my families’ business hahaha hahaaha just kidding. But on the real though. I have taken the time to read everyone’s post here and I was enjoying the exchanges, until the last few where I see statements are being taken to mean something they were not intended to convey. I feel it's necessary at this point to remind us that above all things we must love. Yes part of loving is taking the shotgun and blowing the wolf to pieces. :) yes indeed my friends. I think that here though we have the classic problem of just not knowing the other person's heart and taking statements that are not meant as a vicious attack as such.

1 Corinthians 13
1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.../b>u>Love rejoices in the truth.

This method of communication takes a lot of skill because we are not only discussing things we are passionate about, but also learning how to communicate our beliefs in the process. We will all say things that we could have probably worded better and there is also the fact that our tone can easily be misconstrued. We have to then approach our exchanges with charity/love and give each other the benefit of doubt. Ask questions rather than assume what the statements are meant to convey.

I am not a moderator of this site, but I know I don’t have to be one to admonish my family to Love above all else.

This is what I see:

Mitchelle -

You have done great dear. I happened to believe as LT does in regards to the ("Evidence Doctrine") initial evidence aspect of the discussion, but do speak in tongues and believe the gifts are alive and well in the church. There is much to study about the topic sis and you are doing great.

Fix,

We differed in this secondary issue and in the primary issue of the deity/Godhead.

Now, this site has a statement of faith that it follows and that statement of faith declares in article four the following:

4. God exists as three distinct persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

We have discussed the topic of the Trinity/deity in depth in many previous discussions I encourage you to check them out.
http://www.allaboutgod.net/forum/topics/trinity-1?id=1383940%3ATopi...

And will ask from one brother to another that you please reframed from making such comments in view that you have come into a community that follows the primary and essential doctrines of Christianit which are historically sound for doctrine.

You said:/u>b> “You are inded perceptive. Oh yes, I believed in the trinity many years ago, because I was indoctrinated to accept that this was truth. But over the years I have indeed studied it in depth and now understand that it is not true at all, in fact it is totally unbiblical”

Only God knows if He considers those that do not believe Him to be God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit to be saved. I will not dare to comment on that beyond what I have written here.

But your belief is attacking a Primary Christian doctrine and that is heresy in my book.

Be blessed and a blessing
Fix-

It is certainly great to hear you say that you are not attacking anything, but what you wrote referring to the deity/trinity: “I have indeed studied it in depth and now understand that it is not true at all, in fact it is totally unbiblical,” sure sounds like an attack and If that is not an attack on the truth, then what is.?

I have always approached you as one brother to another and have only now spoken against the false doctrine you have believed. Is ok to have differences of beliefs bro and even to discuss them. I don’t run away from that and appreciate this site because it does not run from discussing such issues either.

I do not attack you Fix, I don’t even know your name Sir. What I do, I do in the light, you are welcome to even drop by my church if you are ever in Los Angeles, but I do speak up against false doctrines and have no problem doing so, without attacking the person.

Is not paranoia Fix, it is simply zeal for the truth.

2 Corinthians 11:4
For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted—you may well put up with it!
Galatians 1:6
[ Only One Gospel ] I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
1 Thessalonians 2:4
But as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, even so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who tests our hearts

You asked: And please tell me.....where in the Bible does it state that non-belief in the trinity is a sin?”

The belief that Jesus is not God qualifies as a different Gospel from the time of the Apostles until today. It is not something which the institutional churches have added. Is in black and white in the bible.

It seems to you that there is too much judgementalism going on, well we are called to examine everything bro. I certainly have not said that you are not wanted here. If anything you have been welcome in this site. And I cannot speak for the site, but I welcome you to even start discussions where we can debate the differences in our view in an irenic manner. I do know that this site believes the Gospel as taught in scripture, so anything teaching otherwise will be done in an apologetic fashion.

Be blessed and a blessing
Fix you,
I thought of something this morning as I was catching up on the posts.

Wisdom (spoken of as a female person in Job and Proverbs) was with God from the beginning just as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit were there. Yet Wisdom was not part of God but she was with God.

I do think one cannot have Wisdom without having God. I believe in the Trinity, the fact that Father, Son and Holy Spirit make up the Godhead. However, because of what I have learned about the presence of Wisdom, I am willing to accept that you don't agree with me on the Trinity. I do ask that you keep it in mind, what I have said regarding the Trinity, until God gives you understanding of what I am saying. I also would pray that you recognize the Holy Spirit for who He is, until the knowledge comes to you through God.

Whether you believe he is part of God or not, He is the reason that we have the Father and the Son residing within us. Without Him, we cannot communicate with God. We couldn't even come to God or believe in the Son as our Savior.

Many blessings to you in your studies. May Wisdom and understanding grow in your life.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service