All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Matthew 5:1-4 begins the section on the King’s authority which goes through 9:38.

The Sermon on the Mount makes the law bigger so you can see it clearly for what it is.

This is where Christ goes beyond the WORDS of the Law, into the SPIRIT of the Law, which most scholars didn’t see at that point.

In this Sermon on the Mount, Christ sets a standard for His believers to follow (in the here and now, but that’s beside the point.)

The Beatitudes (which some people call the Be-Attitudes, but again besides the point) show that Christ’s path to true joy is opposite to the path to the world’s happiness.

The Beatitudes demonstrate the character of TRUE faith, not just a list of do’s and don’ts as the Law did.

All that being said, here is 3-4.

“Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.”

Blessed means happy, joyful.

Poor in spirit means those who know that their spiritual needs can all be found in God. This is the opposite of self-sufficiency, it’s deep humility. These people realize they are lost and undone without God.

Theirs is the kingdom of Heaven, also looked at Matthew 3:2, means that those that realize all their salvation and such all come from God will be in the kingdom, the realm of God’s dominion. This kingdom is now revealed in God’s spiritual reign over the hearts of His followers, but will one day be shown in the earthly realm. It is a GIFT, we cannot earn it.

Application: Realizing that all my spiritual needs are found in God, and I can bring NOTHING to the table for salvation.

“Blessed are they that mourn; for they shall be comforted.”

Blessed once again means happy; joyful.

They that mourn means those who mourn over their sin. This produces repentance, which in turn produces salvation. It is repentance from sin. A 180 turn.

They shall be comforted means they will receive forgiveness and salvation, thereby comforting them. They’re the ones that will receive salvation because they’re humble enough to mourn over and ask for it. Isaiah 40:1-2.

Application: God always grants forgiveness for sins and salvation if we but ask for it and mourn over the sin.

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, thank you for sharing your personal insights. This inspires me to start journaling my Bible study...!

You're very welcome. I love journaling what I'm learning. Then I can go back and re-read where God gave me an insight. This has helped me over the years when I'm going through a tough time where I can't exactly feel God, but I know He's always there with me, holding me by the right hand.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service