All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

How can a person prove to others the bible's not some "man made book corupted by man"? For those who believe it's God's word but it's been corupted over the years.

And, what do I do if I tell someone a doctrine (the deity of Christ), that it's in the bible but I get a comment "Than the bible's wrong!"

Views: 1340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Girlfriend. Really? Really??

Amanda Nash,

I assure you I have read the Bible and sometimes I read it on the internet, too.

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12, NIV).

I am not doing a little scene. But I think you are projecting some of your stuff onto other people.

The Scripture says "work out" not "make out" and it does make a difference. I have already heard the illustrations about both the woodpecker and the giraffe several times.

Do you have anything new to add? I mean so far as proving that the Bible is corrupted?

New International Version (©1984)
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,
New Living Translation (©2007)
Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear.

English Standard Version (©2001)
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

International Standard Version (©2008)
And so, my dear friends, just as you have always obeyed, not only when I was with you but even more now that I am absent, continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
Therefore beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not when I am near to you only, but now when I am far from you, all the more, with awe and with trembling, do the service of your life.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
My dear friends, you have always obeyed, not only when I was with you but even more now that I'm absent. In the same way continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

American King James Version
Why, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

American Standard Version
So then, my beloved, even as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

Douay-Rheims Bible
Wherefore, my dearly beloved, (as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but much more now in my absence,) with fear and trembling work out your salvation.

Darby Bible Translation
So that, my beloved, even as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much rather in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,

English Revised Version
So then, my beloved, even as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

Webster's Bible Translation
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Weymouth New Testament
Therefore, my dearly-loved friends, as I have always found you obedient, labour earnestly with fear and trembling--not merely as though I were present with you, but much more now since I am absent from you--labour earnestly, I say, to make sure of your own salvation.

World English Bible
So then, my beloved, even as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Young's Literal Translation
So that, my beloved, as ye always obey, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, with fear and trembling your own salvation work out,

http://bible.cc/philippians/2-12.htm

Explain what you mean by it being corrupted please. Are you saying the Word I have in my hands is with error? I'm not sure I understand totally what you're referring to.

Question: "Has the Bible been corrupted, altered, edited, revised, or tampered with?"

Answer: The books of the Old Testament were written from approximately 1400 B.C. to 400 B.C. The books of the New Testament were written from approximately A.D. 40 to A.D. 90. So, anywhere between 3400 to 1900 years have passed since a book of the Bible was written. In this time, the original manuscripts have been lost. They very likely no longer exist. Also during this time, the books of the Bible have been copied again and again. Copies of copies of copies have been made. In view of this, can we still trust the Bible?

When God originally inspired men to write His Word, it was God-breathed and inerrant (2 Timothy 3:16-17; John 17:17). The Bible nowhere applies this to copies of the original manuscripts. As meticulous as scribes were with the replication of the Scriptures, no one is perfect. As a result, minor differences arose in the various copies of the Scriptures. Of all of the thousands of Greek and Hebrew manuscripts that are in existence, no two were identical until the printing press was invented in the A.D. 1500s.

However, any unbiased document scholar will agree that the Bible has been remarkably well-preserved over the centuries. Copies of the Bible dating to the 14th century A.D. are nearly identical in content to copies from the 3rd century A.D. When the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, scholars were shocked to see how similar they were to other ancient copies of the Old Testament, even though the Dead Sea Scrolls were hundreds of years older than anything previously discovered. Even many hardened skeptics and critics of the Bible admit that the Bible has been transmitted over the centuries far more accurately than any other ancient document.

There is absolutely no evidence that the Bible has been revised, edited, or tampered with in any systematic manner. The sheer volume of biblical manuscripts makes it simple to recognize any attempts to distort God’s Word. There is no major doctrine of the Bible that is put in doubt as a result of the minor differences that exist between manuscripts.

Again, the question, can we trust the Bible? Absolutely! God has preserved His Word despite the unintentional failings and intentional attacks of human beings. We can have utmost confidence that the Bible we have today is the same Bible that was originally written. The Bible is God’s Word, and we can trust it (2 Timothy 3:16; Matthew 5:18).

Recommended Resource: The Big Book of Bible Difficulties by Geisler & Howe.
http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-corrupted.html

Something I would like to know is this.

If a person believes the bible has error. When other people come around saying they have the truth and if, let's say Maggie, already shares in some of their beliefs. If the people convince Maggie to believe that their religion is the only truth she'll also be convinced that their (corupted) bible is the truth. See what can happen? If a person isn't strong in the bible than he/she can be a victim, unexpecdently believing lies. So, when the truth comes by, Maggie, will be blind to it. :sighs: This situation is getting more complicated.

Except for two important factors. The Word of God is verfiable. We can know that we have a solid translation in the English from what has been carefully handled since the NT was written. This is proven by the numerous manuscripts we do have and all of the historical writings that are out there that quote or refer to most of the NT, so much so that from those writings alone we could rebuild most of the NT. We also have to take into account the work of the Holy Spirit. Without Him no one is going to believe anything of value regarding God anyway.

It is always the Word of God and the work of the Holy Spirit that leads us to truth and faith. Man can ignore both and remain blind and follow whatever errant path they wish. Yet, man cannot find Jesus without the truth of God's Word and the work of the Holy Spirit.

I tried talking to my parents and my uncle the 5th. They all believe that only 144,000 will go to Heaven. I thought my uncle would listen to Rev. 7:9. He than said the Bible contridicts itself and is a manmade book. He pointed out how Rev. 7:9 proves the Bible contridicts itself. -_-

Mom heard on t.v someone say something about Jesus being God. She asked me about it. I tried telling her before a long time back (I may have already mentioned this) how it's in the Bible. She said the Bible's wrong than.

o_O How is it possible to say the Bible is wrong whenever a belief doesn't agree with the Bible is brought to the light? Ugh, they don't understand what they're even saying...mom or my uncle. I don't want to seem disresepctful, God forgive me if I'm disrespetful in the slightest, it's just this is so frustrating. When you say something and all someone has to do is say the Bible's wrong or it contridicts itself...

Feetbreeze.

It is frustrating..  my suggestion to you is to stop talking to them about it.  Pray for them continually.  Be gentle and loving at all times towards them.  The Holy Spirit is the One who draws people to Jesus, and convicts them of their sin.  Let Him do His job.  If someone is not ready to hear the message, than stop telling it to them. 

Prayer is the most powerful ammunition we have.  If they bring it up, simply respond that you prefer to not talk about it because... "_____________"  ...give your reason.

Perhaps it's too upsetting for you to have these conversations that go nowhere.

It hurts you that they don't believe you.

Remember--their unbelief is not personal...  It's a Spiritual blinding that occurs over a persons heart while they are in their unbelief.  But whenever anyone turns to the Lord they will be saved.  Pray that God will prepare their hearts to be ready to hear the gospel....then ask the Lord for leading on the right time to present it to them.  Perhaps God will use somebody else to present the gospel to them.  You don't have to prove to them you're right.  You can know quietly in your heart that you are right, that Jesus is God, and He is the only way to the Father---but you don't have to push it on your family members so hard.  I have learned from experience that doesn't work, but it can actually make things worse. 

Let them get to the point that they are pulling information out of you....When they do ask you a question, ask them 'Why do you want to know?'

----always be discerning asking God to show you any pits or traps the enemy may be setting before you, and be careful to not fall into those traps.

Hang in there...  Lord Bless, Carla

I barely talk to them about it. I mainly mention to mom hints about the rapture. I don't go into heavy discussion about the deity of Christ and whatever. :sighs: That time was different for talking to them. I was so stupid...I heard them discussing the 144,000 so I went out to show them because since it's in the Bible I figured they'd realize it since it's so obvious. Actually, to be honest with you when mom hears preachers on t.v I pray that she doesn't hear any of them say Jesus is God. Why? Because I know if she hears that she may ask me and if I tell her and it bothers her enough she'll probably tell the JWs inorder to help me see that my belief is "pagan". They'd try to keep her from me and baptize her. She'd only be allowed around JW's and potential converts. Those potential converts would include dad,my uncle and possibly others in this family. Amd who doesn't agree with the JW teaching...that helps destroy the family.

I don't want Jesus or anyone else to think I'm ashamed of Him...I just know what'll probably happened because I blabbed my mouth. 

In the times we're living in sister it's not a good idea to join a cult...Not to say it ever is but it's especially bad in these times.

Yes, it leaves a very big wound in me...their blindness.

I know from experience you're right. Just by telling a person....I told my mom before (I was asked after someone mentioned about Jesus being God). I ether told her or she just heard it on t.v. There's been a few different times she's heard it on t.v and it's upset her. She said "I surely hope you don't believe that."  

I think the enemy sat me up a big trap the 5th. For afterwards they were watching (I think dad was asleep) "Two and a Half Men". Mom mentioned earlier only the annointed go to Heaven. Well, when I was in the house I heard the show. On the show I heard "annointed,annointed,annointed..." I don't know how many times. Out of all the days the show had to be about religion (which is about as rare as a blood red moon)!

Anyways, I was very stupid...I didn't trust Him enough and I thought they'd see it because it's right in the Bible. I thought all they needed was the scripture.

Prayer seems like the best option right now...

:sighs: Hang in there as well. Lord Bless,Feetbreeze

I'm at a breaking point so I'm asking this....so prayer is like the only option right now? So, just pray and wait....

FeetBreeze.

Try to think of prayer as the first resort.. We can't do anything in our own strength.  Prayer is not only the only option..  but the best option.  Keep praying...and wait on the Lord...

Isaiah 40

28 Do you not know? Have you not heard?

The  Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth

Does not become weary or tired.

His understanding is  inscrutable.

29 He gives strength to the  weary,

And to him who lacks might He  increases power.

30 Though  youths grow weary and tired,

And vigorous  young men stumble badly,

31 Yet those who [aa]wait for the Lord

Will  gain new strength;

They will [ab] mount up with [ac]wings like eagles,

They will run and not get tired,

They will walk and not become weary.

Praise God! He came to the Lord just in time.

If it's ok to ask, who's John? That is very encouraging. Thank you for telling me that. :)

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service