All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Many believe that once you are saved you are always saved and that you cannot lose your salvation or be rejected by God.

What is the scriptural basis for “Once saved always saved”? Does not the responsibility lie with the believer how he/she conduct themselves after initially being saved?

I see many scriptures that say/imply other than once saved always saved:

Old Testament:

Num 14:11  Then the LORD said to Moses: "How long will these people reject Me? And how long will they not believe Me, with all the signs which I have performed among them?

Num 14:12  I will strike them with the pestilence and disinherit them..."

1Sa 15:23  For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."

1Sa 28:6  And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets.

1Sa 28:7  Then Saul said to his servants, "Find me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her…"

Pro 2:13  …From those who leave the paths of uprightness To walk in the ways of darkness

New Testament:

Joh 17:12  …Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition

Act 8:9  But there was a certain man called Simon, who previously practiced sorcery…

Act 8:13  …Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done…

Act 8:20  …But Peter said to him, "Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money!

Act 8:21  You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God.

Act 8:22  Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.

Act 8:23  For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity."

1Pe 4:17  For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?

1Pe 4:18  Now "IF THE RIGHTEOUS ONE IS SCARCELY SAVED, WHERE WILL THE UNGODLY AND THE SINNER APPEAR?"

Jas 5:19  Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back,

Jas 5:20  let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

2Ti 2:17  …Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort,

2Ti 2:18  who have strayed concerning the truth

2Ti 2:24  …And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient,

2Ti 2:25  in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth,

2Ti 2:26  and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

2Pe 2:20  For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning.

2Pe 2:21  For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.

2Pe 2:22  But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: "A DOG RETURNS TO HIS OWN VOMIT," and, "a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire."

Heb 10:26  For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

Heb 10:27  but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Heb 10:28  Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.

Heb 10:29  Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Heb 6:4  For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit,

Heb 6:5  and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,

Heb 6:6  if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

Views: 2861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amanda,

Let’s take a swing at this from a different angle. A change of mind means that the mind has an altered state. It is different than it was before. Regarding spiritual truth/enlightenment it requires a work of God. We once could not see, but now we can. We once could not know Him, but now we can. We once could not understand, but now we can. This altered state is caused by God. No one wakes up one morning and states that they will now believe in God and truly start believing at that moment unless the mind has been changed (opened) by God. This belief is only possible after God has brought about a change in the state of the mind. Yes, we then have the liberty to choose Him or remain in darkness, but the change has been brought about by God, not us. We can play a part in relation to the input by focusing on the right things and God uses that input to change us spritually.

Luke 24 relates to their minds being altered to where they now can understand the Scriptures. The truth did not change, their minds changed to understand the truth. The depraved mind in context is referring to a mind that had been enabled to see truth, they chose sin and now have been seared by God and His influence upon them has been removed.

Regarding making selections or choices, we make choices based upon our current state of mind. You can choose to go left, but then choose to go right. You did not change the mind, but made a different selection based upon your current state of mind. Another way of saying this is that you changed your selection, but the mind is not changed, just the selection.

Changing our selection is not the same thing as having our minds changed anymore than living according to the religious code makes you born-again. One always precedes the other when referring to spiritual things.

Amanda, I see your frustration. I admit I haven't read all of the posts on here. 29 pages, Wow! But, as for your original question I totally know what you are asking. I too have asked that same question all my life. I grew up in Oklahoma and belonged to a Methodist Church. All I knew about the Baptists was that they believed, "Once saved, always saved.". As a matter of fact, that very statement almost kept me from joining the Baptist Church that I now belong to. I asked about that before I would even join. The concept isn't that you can accept Christ as your savior and then go out and run crazy committing all sorts of evil deeds and crimes and know that you are still "saved". It means that once you are truly saved in the way that you only want to love Christ and follow in His ways and let Him guide you in yours, then you will always be saved. It doesn't mean that you can half saved or something. Really don't mean to offend you. If it comes across that way, please let me know how so that I don't make that same mistake again. Really don't know how to describe it. But, that is how I have come to terms with that statement. I don't know if this helped you or not, but I didn't want to see you leave without an answer without preaching.

Your sister in Christ,

Cindy

That is wonderful to hear. I have been where you are. Only, much longer than it sounds like for you. I always knew He was there, but wouldn't give Him anything. Did it all on my own on my terms. Then, I came back and there He was, arms wide open waiting to embrace me. That is why now, I can understand that age old statement of "Once saved, always saved.". I finally let Him show me what it meant. God be with you, my dear. You will be safe in His arms.

Your sister in Christ,

Cindy

One cannot simply choose salvation. God does all of the work leading us to the point of decision. He calls, draws, reveals and convicts. These things are solely on Him. This is true even of the person that appears to be seeking God, it is God who is directing them to the point of decision. I believe that He then gives us, as a soveriegn God, liberty to choose light or choose to remain in darkness.

For clarity, the point of decision need not be a one moment in time that if we miss it we are lost forever. God can reveal Himself (always in conjunction with the gospel and the Holy Spirit) and draw a person over a prolonged period of time before the person receives Christ. I have known people who wrestled with God (in a sense) for months or years before receiving Him.

Regarding being saved. We are not covered by the blood until we are actually covered by the blood and born-again. I believe God has total knowledge of the future and is completely sovereign, This does not mean that He has to be the absolute cause of each event. Forknowledge does not have to mean causation. God knows us from before the beginning. This includes both those who will come to Him and those who will reject  Him and also those who will never hear of Him. Only a sovereign, loving and just God will treat all fairly. The key is to understand fairness based on His righteousness and justice, and not on man's view of what is fair.

Lord Bless,
LT

Sanctification deals with holiness and thus is not possible if the vessel is walking in sin, even if the person is saved.  A born-again believer does need to repent of sin, not in order to be saved all over again, but in order to be cleansed (John 13) so that they may be a useful vessel.

The problem is that people often get locked into a term as having only one application or meaning. Repentance unto salvation is not the only type of repentance seen in Scripture. Repentance is necessary in order to be saved, but we also repent (Agree with God, turn from sin and turn to God) after we are saved and when we have failed to live in alignment with Him.

We are saved (redeemed, purchased, paid for and born-again, sealed and indwelt) eternally, yet we walk in the flesh in this fallen world. There is not one person alive who will not sin again as long as they are in the flesh any length of time. We have a High Priest who intercedes for us and who has applied the blood on our behalf in the heaven.

Sin is always serious and should make us feel bad when we fail. We should feel conviction and guilt regarding sin. Praise God that the blood of Jesus secured our salvation and that is a done deal. Now we battle the flesh striving to live godly lives to bring glory to Him because we love Him, not out of fear of losing our salvation. Yes, there are consequences for sin, but not loss of sonship.

Lord Bless,

LT

Salvation is the free gift of God. If we had to work to keep it — it would not be a free gift — and God would be a liar!

". . . the GIFT of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

". . .by the righteousness of one THE FREE GIFT came upon all men unto justification of life." Romans 5:18

The Bible makes it clear that OUR WORKS has nothing whatsoever to do with our salvation.

We don't receive it by our works — and we don't keep it by our works!

NOT BY WORKS of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us,. . ." Titus 3:5

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast."Ephesians 2:8,9

So once saved always saved!!!!

Any gift received can be discarded at any time by the recipient of the gift. It is not of works of man that the gift is made available and extended to all, and any and all can accept that gift through faith, that point is not in question... However, no-one (not even God Himself) can force someone to keep the gift if the gift is no longer wanted by the individual. Then the definition of gift as it is used in the Bible / the use of the word gift as it relates to salvation in the Bible is incorrect.

David A.,

What really is at the heart of this is a new heart. Salvation is not a gift that we receive and carry around as if it were a membership card to a club that we could cancel or return. Salvation includes us being regenerated and given a new heart. Once the heart has been circumcised you cannot uncircumcise it.

Food for thought.

Truly LT, you have hit the heart of the matter.

"Salvation is not a gift that we receive and carry around as if it were a membership card to a club that we could cancel or return."

Amanda,

For the moment I simply want to welcome you back and am let you know that I am continuing to pray for you as well.

Lord Bless,

LT

I have never known anyone who truly understood the gift that wanted to discard it. I have known many that treated it as trivial - to which I wonder if they understand it.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service