All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Many believe that once you are saved you are always saved and that you cannot lose your salvation or be rejected by God.

What is the scriptural basis for “Once saved always saved”? Does not the responsibility lie with the believer how he/she conduct themselves after initially being saved?

I see many scriptures that say/imply other than once saved always saved:

Old Testament:

Num 14:11  Then the LORD said to Moses: "How long will these people reject Me? And how long will they not believe Me, with all the signs which I have performed among them?

Num 14:12  I will strike them with the pestilence and disinherit them..."

1Sa 15:23  For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."

1Sa 28:6  And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets.

1Sa 28:7  Then Saul said to his servants, "Find me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her…"

Pro 2:13  …From those who leave the paths of uprightness To walk in the ways of darkness

New Testament:

Joh 17:12  …Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition

Act 8:9  But there was a certain man called Simon, who previously practiced sorcery…

Act 8:13  …Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done…

Act 8:20  …But Peter said to him, "Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money!

Act 8:21  You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God.

Act 8:22  Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.

Act 8:23  For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity."

1Pe 4:17  For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?

1Pe 4:18  Now "IF THE RIGHTEOUS ONE IS SCARCELY SAVED, WHERE WILL THE UNGODLY AND THE SINNER APPEAR?"

Jas 5:19  Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back,

Jas 5:20  let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

2Ti 2:17  …Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort,

2Ti 2:18  who have strayed concerning the truth

2Ti 2:24  …And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient,

2Ti 2:25  in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth,

2Ti 2:26  and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

2Pe 2:20  For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning.

2Pe 2:21  For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.

2Pe 2:22  But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: "A DOG RETURNS TO HIS OWN VOMIT," and, "a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire."

Heb 10:26  For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

Heb 10:27  but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Heb 10:28  Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.

Heb 10:29  Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Heb 6:4  For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit,

Heb 6:5  and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,

Heb 6:6  if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

Views: 2861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The “Once saved always saved” position takes the responsibility off believers to grow in the Lord / discipline themselves / live holy lives consistently. The scripture Php 2:12 “Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;” to me means that it is possible to fall back into sin and condemnation if one is not constantly working on their Christian walk with the Lord. This scripture puts the responsibility onto the individual to maintain their salvation. It is God that tests the hearts and minds of all, so if one is initially saved, then tested by God and is found lacking (by not doing their Christian part), then surely one loses their salvation?

Those folks were never saved. I will explain my statement tomorrow, God willing.

David,

How could they have never been saved?  If they confess the Lord openly and publicly, they prophied in His name, they cast out demons in His name, they perform miracles in His name...how could they not be saved?

21. Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, bu the who shall do the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name, and in thy name have cast out devils, and in thy name have done many wonderful works? 23. And then will I confess to them, I never knew you depart from me, you who work iniquity.

Sharon,

Two things are evident:

1) They proclaim to have done these things. It does not mean or say that they actually did any of them, but thought they had. They played at religion. Often people play in the fringe areas, even in mystical areas and yet miss the Savior. To be clear, the Bible never says they did these things. It was a self-proclamation.

2) Jesus clearly states "I never knew you." He does not say I knew you and you fell away, why didn't you persevere?

Thus we have self-proclamation vs. Jesus declaration. Who are we to believe? I'll take Jesus as I know you will too.

Lord Bless,

LT

LT,

Then why didn't the Lord Jesus make that the point?   He didn't. 

Jesus made the point of His story that one group gave Him drink when He was thirsty...fed Him when He was hungry...went to visit Him when He was sick and in prison....opened their doors for Him when He was homeless and a foreigner...and the other group DID NOT gave Him drink when He was thirsty...did not feed Him when He was hungry...did not go to visit Him when He was sick and in prison....did not open their doors for Him when He was homeless and a foreigner...and the group that DID these things are brought into Paradise and the group that DID NOT do these things are sent away to wail and nash their teeth. 

Now I'm just doing this from memory so my recall may be less than 100%.

But, you really have to do some scripture wrenching to make these scriptures about anything other than the fact that the righteous are righteous because of how they treat 'the least of these my brothers' and the condemned are condemned because of how they did NOT treat 'the least of these my brothers'. 

.....depart from me, you who work iniquity.

Sharon,

Are not those who Jesus never knew people who work iniquity in the world today? You are reading part of the story from the POV that you have been taught and missing the full picture IMO.

BTW, I believe you are mixing two different portions of Scripture. This text comes from Matthew 7. The text that refers to drink, visiting etc is in Mattew 25.

What does Jesus mean by "I NEVER KNEW you? It would require some Scripture wrenching in order to make it mean He knew them, but ...well now He doesn't. That is not what it says.

I also repeat that these people proclaimed they did these things, the Bible does not say they did these things.

Lord Bless,

LT

LT,

I understand what you are saying.  Blessings my brother.

Sharon.

Sharon,

Blessings to you as well.

Lord Bless,
LT

Sharon -

In addition to what LT has said, which is right on - They were false prophets and since when do false prophets tell the truth? God can heal people and cast out demons from people not because of the person praying for them, but as always because of his mercy and also because he honors the faith of those seeking him and not so much because of someone on the pulpit.

Blessings.

David,

Thank you for your insight my brother. 

Sharon.

You are welcome beloved.
SALVATION is the works of God.. And thru faith we recieved it..It is not the works of men..How then it can be lost???? Who is much stronger than God to undo this salvation..God even gave His only Son for this works..It is written.." What had God Joined, let no man put assunder..We are joined with Christ thru His death on the cross..His whole Body was crucified at the cross.. And we are His Body.. the Church..If salvation can be lost..Does that means Christ body is missing a limb when He was crucified..I think the thing that need to question is the faith.. Is it really by faith or fake??? We need to constantly check this..If you are in doubt..If by heart you recieved Jesus as Your Lord and personal saviour no one can pluck you out of His hand..Even power, principalities,dominions and gates of hell.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service