All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I've been hearing voices and bad thoughts for a long time and I've been struggling for 4 years it came to be from my meth use but I've been sober from meth for a year now and I've been sober from marijuana cigarettes and alcohol for three and a half weeks now but I was just wondering how in the world do I repent from these thoughts that I have I just can't seem to stop them I've been getting better but I need some feedback on how to stop the thoughts from coming into my mind and keep them from coming back I've asked Jesus to renew my heart my mind and my spirit and I believe that he has planted the seeds to do that successfully but again the main part of this post is to get information on how to repent from the horrible thoughts that I have to get rid of the doubt that I have to have more faith in Christ and I want to become a youth minister but before I can do that before I can go to college I need to be better so please

Views: 245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

God bless you Timothy!

Actually, Jesus does not renew your mind. That is up to you. You need a daily diet of the Word of God just like you need food.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7 KJV)

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. (1 John 4:18)

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2 NLT)

I thought you'd find the NLT interesting. You don't conform to this world, and you are transformed. You renew your thoughts and your mind. By renewing your mind, you will be able to test and approve what is God's good, pleasing and perfect will.

We all need a daily diet of God's Word like we need regular food. Notice Matthew 4:4:

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" (NIV)

You can't help every thought that pops into your head. Let's face it, at some point we were all like a garbage can with a hairy lid. We all put all kinds of bad things into our heads before we accepted Jesus. We all have a past. Now it is time to put the Word of God in our minds. It takes time. A friend of mine says something like...Mind, behave yourself.  He doesn't really say what he was thinking, but I know it's something he's not very happy with popped into his head. He doesn't really worry about others hearing him tell his mind to behave. He made an impression on me. I've said it before too...Mind, behave yourself. 

Notice Colossians 3:16 KJV - Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

You are also going to need fellowship with other Christians. We teach and admonish each other in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs.

Remember that nothing can separate you from the love of God in Christ Jesus.

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:39 KJV)

God's Love,
Mary

Hi Timothy, God bless you!

When you accepted Jesus Christ, you became a temple of the Holy Spirit.

I understand where you're coming from. I didn't do drugs, but I did other things. It took me a while to get stronger. I made the choice. For about three months I studied the Bible like crazy. I was intense. I had little cards with me with Bible verses. I memorized Bible verses. When a bad thought came to mind, and they did, I would think a Bible verse. Your mind is like a book shelf. If you put enough Bible in there, you will push the other stuff off the shelf. The Word of God is like a plant. you plant it in your mind and heart. It needs water and sunshine. The Word of God will take root.

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love... (Ephesians 3:17 KJV)

Do you see how you plant the Word of God in your mind and heart? Rooted and grounded in love.

So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed. (Acts 19:20 KJV)

The Word of God can grow mightily in you and prevail. The Word of God is living. It's quick and powerful. It changes people. It changed me and that's why I know it can change you and help you.

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12 ESV)

God's Love,
Mary

Hi Timothy

Well done for taking your first steps! I absolutely agree with what Mary has said. As she mentioned, renewing your mind is up to you. It is a battle, we are in a war everyday of our lives, but thanks to Jesus, the war has been won, but it is not over yet - Ephesians 6:12 “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

You need to fight! You need to stand and never give up! The devil will come against you, he will tempt you, he will do all he can to get you to return to your former life, but in Jesus name you must stand! You cannot resist, unless you submit your life completely to God - James 4:7 “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”  Make Jesus your Lord, as well as your Saviour.

You now have the most powerful name of all to call upon. Everything must bow it’s knee to the name of Jesus, Philippians 2:9,10 “Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth"

To further help you, please download and listen to Curry Blake’s free DHT (Divine Healing Training) and New Man, they will help you to know who you are in Christ.

We love you as a brother.

Be blessed!

Dave

Thus saith the Lord .. EZEKIEL 36:26
And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.

I get the struggle you are experiencing. I didn't do drugs, but I did some pretty dark stuff. I had to ask God to teach me what His voice sounds like. I was a long ways away from God before I accepted Jesus Christ.

Even "I and my Father are one." is the Word of God. It's a choice and deliberate decision to do the will of God. It is not easy, but it gets easier. I've been a Christian since the 70's. I have an advantage today. I struggled for a while. The first time I got cornered in a spiritually dark situation, I bolted. Nowadays I would say something like...In the name of Jesus Christ stop it. A lovely Christian couple knew something had happened and asked. They told me I don't have to be afraid anymore. I'm just trying to say you are not alone. Other people understand and know what it's like to struggle.

Personal opinion, it takes courage and determination to turn your life around. Since you have accepted Jesus Christ, you've begun the process. And don't pay attention to the enemy. He's full of prunes. He'll say anything and lie to you. You need to put the Word of God in your mind and heart to know what to say and do.

Satan would do anything to keep this information from you. You are at peace with God. You have access. You have grace.

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a] have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we[b] boast in the hope of the glory of God. (Romans 5:1,2)

I have a friend named Louie. He knows all kinds of people. He knows former President Bush. They went to school together. Louie wants to introduce you to President Bush. He takes you by the hand, walks through the crowd, he bypasses the guards. The guards wave and say hello. You're thinking is there anyone Louie doesn't know? He walks right up to President Bush and shakes his hand and says hey here's my friend Timothy. He wants to meet you. Sure enough President Bush smiles and hugs you and shakes your hand. You see, Jesus Christ is like Louie. He took you by the hand on the day you accepted Him. He walked through the gates of heaven, and said hello to the angels. And they let Him pass. Jesus took you to the throne room and to the Father. Father, meet Timothy, he has accepted me. You have access. This is the best way I know to explain it. Maybe someone else has a better way. You have access now. You are accepted in the beloved. You have peace with God.

God bless,

Mary

Hi Timothy,

I see the renewing of the mind as a partnership.  God gives us a new heart that desires to please Him, but then we must learn to be obedient to being renewed, it's in that obedience that we are transformed. 

We repent, God gives us a new heart and a new spirit (it's here that we are born again), and then we walk in obedience.  The more we're obedient, the more we're transformed.  Obedience doesn't effect our salvation, but it does affect our level of peace, and knowing that we're in God's will.  To repent means to literally turn around from your old ways of thinking and doing things, and agreeing with God to His way of thinking and doing things.  Doing things God's way becomes a desire of ours once we're born again.  However, we still have a choice to be obedient or disobedient. 

When we're not obedient, we experience the restlessness and disconnect that you seem to be experiencing.  There's no peace with disobedience.

Those troubling thoughts may always bother you, but you'll get to the point that it's almost like you're staring at them with an observing attitude, because they simply have no control over you.  You'll notice them, but they are no longer your master.  You'll get to the point that your faith in Jesus to deliver and heal you is stronger than your faith in the thoughts ability to overwhelm and tempt you.  I believe obedience is the key.

Romans 12:2

New American Standard Bible
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Blessings, Carla

Thank you Carla.
This is something Corrine Ten Boom spoke of in regards to forgiving someone, but it also speaks to what you're experiencing. You said yourself that you've been getting better. So here's what she said.

It's like ringing a church bell. You let go of the rope, but the bell continues ringing. Yet it gradually slows to a stop.

That being said, while you are in the body and in this sinful earth exposed to sinful people, you will never completely be free of bad thoughts. Paul said we are to walk in the newness of the spirit and not fulfill the desires of the flesh.

We will have those desires but we choose not to entertain them.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service