All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I need to know how can Jesus be God when He called the Father the only true God? It's seperating Jesus from God.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

http://bible.cc/john/17-3.htm

How can Jesus be God when He said He had a God?

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

http://bible.cc/john/20-17.htm

I know He's God. It's just these are some things the JW's may bring up. I need to be prepared.

Views: 536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Feetbreeze,

The following link will take you to numerous articles regarding your question.

http://www.gotquestions.org/search.php?zoom_sort=0&zoom_query=i...

Jesus said, "The Father and I are one" (John 10:30, NLT).

Feetbreeze,

The link that LT shared with you provides Biblical support for the historic Christian doctrine that God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

• The doctrine of the Trinity is "arrived at systematically (by looking at the whole of Scripture), not by looking at a single verse," according to the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry (CARM). 

• From Scripture, we can apprehend that there is ONE God eternally existing in three co-equal persons, each distinct, but sharing one nature, being or essence: God the Father (the creator), God the Son (our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and God the Holy Spirit (who draws us to faith and sanctifies us). 

• If it's not easy to understand the Trinity, you're in good company.  But then, while the triune nature of the Godhead or the tri-unity of God can be apprehended from Scripture, God is far beyond the ability of our limited human intellects to comprehend.  It also boggles our minds how God can be eternal (without beginning or end), ominscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent.

So, Christians can see that the Trinity is clearly taught in the Bible.  Yes, in the New Testament, we read of Jesus praying to his Father in heaven.  Jesus mentioned his Father in heaven often.  The Father and the Son are distinct persons, each glorifying the other.  They speak to each other and they love each other.  They are distinct; yet they are one God. 

But wait, the New Testament also insists that Jesus is God.  The Apostle Thomas acknowledged Jesus as, “My Lord and my God” (John 20:28), as did the Apostles Peter and Paul, who spoke of Jesus as, “our God and Savior” (2 Pet. 1:1; Tit. 2:13).

Since you've been reading the Gospel of John, go the beginning.  Read the prologue to John: John 1:1 -18.  If you're interested, you can view both the Greek and the English in an Interlinear Bible

What do you glean from pondering these verses: John 1:1-18

Be patient, and stay steady and strong in faith, hope and love in Jesus Christ,

Colby

Thanks LT for the link. I'll look at it.

Colby. I know we don't understand scripture by looking at one verse. I was just asking because those scriptures are some that the JW may try to "stump" me on. If I don't have an answer for those scriptures I may be told "See that proves Jesus isn't God." They take things out of context therefore making it difficult.

And if I point to other "proof texts" they may still insist on using the ones that I wouldn't know what to tell them. They'd probably ignore the other scriptures and keep wanting to go to the ones twisted/taken out of context.

John 1:1-18? Well, if you look at verse one that proves He's always been in exsitence. It also says He's God. In verse 10, it says the world was made by him. Since, only God made the earth/world and Jesus did as well (look at the book of Hebrews chapter 1:10) that means Jesus is God. Look at verse 14. Reverse that with verse 1 (reverse God in verse 1 with the Word in verse 10). That is so sweet. It admits God was made flesh. :o)

edit: Read John 1:10 and Hebrews 1:10. What do you notice?

I was looking at http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-say-my-God.html

There are other places He calls God His God. In John 20:17 and Revelation 3:2,12, Jesus calls God "My God." Why would God call Himself "My God"? It has to do with Christ's relationship to His Father. Even though Christ is the eternal God Himself incarnate, He is still a different person from the Father. As a man and as man's representative (Son of Man), Jesus' person was dependent on the Father and, like us, looked to the Father for strength, guidance, wisdom, etc. Therefore, God the Father was the God of Jesus. The Father is the God of the Son, but it doesn't imply inferiority, only a difference in roles. Please also read our article on the Trinity.

It's saying because He was a man that's why He had a God. I think I get it. The whole Hypostatic union thing for Jesus is still alot to take in. Please pray the Holy Spirit gives me more understanding.

Feet...

Jesus received instruction and guidance from His Father, through the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is putting the Father first.

There is a hierarchy in the Trinity:

Father

Son

Holy Spirit

When you add humans:

Husband

Wife

Children

It works out to be God's order of things.

Jesus is King of kings and Lord of lords. When all is complete, He will return to His proper place in the Trinity.

Just as you consider Jesus your Lord and your God, so does Jesus consider the Father as His Lord and His God.

God tells us not to worry about what we will say because He will give us what to say. The more you seek the *face of God*, the more the Holy Spirit will tell you what to say through His leading and guidance.

Blessings to you...

Rita

In response to John 17:3 and John 20:17 which Jesus spoke with His words He also said this about His words; 

Matthew 7:24-27 (NIV),  “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down; the streams rose; and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.  But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.  The rain came down; the streams rose; and the winds blew and beat against that house; and it fell with a great crash.”

John 8:31-32,  “…If you hold to my teachings, you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

John 10:27,  “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me.”

John 18:37©, “Whoever belongs to the truth listens to my voice.”

Mark 8:38, “If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”

John 14:1, “Let not your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe ALSO in me.”

Jesus said, “Those who have ears to hear, let them hear.”

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service