All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

AIN'T TRYING TO BE MEAN ,BUT HAS ANY BODY EVER SEEN THE T. V. PREACHER JOEL OSTEEN PREACH THE "GOSPEL"? WHEN I SAY GOSPEL I MEAN PREACHING BOUT JESUS BEING BORN A VIRGIN,DYING ON THE CROSS FOR OUR SINS AND BEING RAISED FROM THE DEAD BY OUR FATHER?ASKING FOR FORGIVENESS OF OUR SINS AND ASKING THE LORD JESUS CHRIST INTO OUR LIVES AND BECOME OUR LORD AND SAVIOR! THERE IS SALVATION IN THAT,BUT NOT HEARING HOW SUCESSFUL YOU CAN BE !SUCESSFUL MONEY WISE ON THIS EARTH? IS IT NOT DANGEREOUS FOR A PREACHER TO NOT TELL THE GOSPEL? HOW CAN A PERSON BECOME A CHRISTIAN FROM SUCH "PREACHING"? "IF A MAN GAINS THE WHOLE WORLD AND LOSES HIS SOUL...." BILLY GRAHAM [WHO ALWAYS GAVE THE PLAN OF SALVATION WHEN EVER I HEARD HIM} HAD HIS PICTURE WITH JOEL,BUT DID HE KNOW WHAT JOEL PREACHED? HE IS PRETTY OLD AND MAY HAVE NOT KNOWN. WE HAVE ALL HEARD HOW MANY DIFFERENT SINS WILL BRING DOWN THE USA,BUT HAS ANY BODY HEARD ONE PREACHER TALK ABOUT GREED AND THAT "THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL"? I AM NOT AGAINST A CHRISTIAN HAVING MONEY! JUST DON'T SAY ALL CHRISTIANS SHOULD HAVE LOTS OF MONEY ETC CAUSE THAT IS GOD'S WILL ,OTHERWISE SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG WITH THE WAY YOU BELIEVE! ! I PRAY THAT THE LORD WILL HELP JOEL KNOW TO PREACH THE GOSPEL ! GOING TO HEAVEN IS ALL IMPORTANT! ,MAY THE LORD TAKE JOEL OSTEEN AND MAKE HIM A GREAT PREACHER OF THE GOSPEL AND MILLIONS COME TO KNOW OUR LORD AND SAVIOR ,EVEN IF THEY LIVE ON THE STREETS! AGREE- DISAGREE? LET ME KNOW! JAMIE

Views: 2525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi There Jamie,

I watch Joel Osteen all the time on TV and I have heard him mention Jesus dying on the cross and the way of salvation several times. I believe that Joel Osteen is a preacher who preaches about the power of positive thoughts in our lives. Not only does he talk about prosperity, he also preaches about having faith, trusting God in our lives and depending on him.
One sermon that really drew me to him, he was talking about death...

The timing for me to watch this particular sermon was just right... I had just lost my brother on Sept 1st, 2008, he drowned while he was camping. One night I was so angry and hurt about it and I was flicking through the channels on the TV and I came across Joel Osteen. And what he said in his sermon, I really needed to hear. He talked about a pilot whose helicopter crashed into a lake. The co-pilot managed to get out, but the pilot did not. The pilot was under the water for about five min, when he woke up and managed to make it to the top. When he made it to the top, there was a crowd of people around. He began looking for the person who helped him come out of the water. Someone told him that no one was down there with him. The pilot told them, well I felt someone's hand grabbing me and pulling me out of the water, then he realized that it was God who truly saved him and he immediately began thanking God for saving him. The whole point of his sermon was that God determines our time to die....He saves who he wants and he takes home who he wants. At that time, I really needed to hear that because I was angry with God for not saving my brother from drowning.
Everything that I was feeling at that time, Joel Osteen touched on in his sermon.

The way that I take his messages is that he tries to encourage people to think positive and just trust in God. I believe that different pastors have different gifts to preach about different things. Joel Osteen does not really touch down on prophecy like Pastor Hagee does, but they preach on different subjects according to what they are called to preach on. Joel Osteen always invites his congregation to prayer after the sermon is over with to accept Jesus into their hearts. His book "your best life now" was one of the best books that I have ever read, it was awesome and it really helped me when I needed help.

I also believe that not every preacher is for everybody. So maybe Joel Osteen is not the preacher that God wants you to listen to at this time in your life. I feel the same as you do about other preachers and evangelist that other people love... It believe that it depends on where we are in our walk with God and where we are in our lives at the time.
I agree his book "your best life now" was one of the best books that I have ever read, it was awesome and it really helped me when I needed help.

Well said. I also love Joel Osteen, I can't say much about him because I haven't watched his sermon but I enjoy his quotes and they very inspiring and teaches about trusting and having faith in God. I will like to read the book you recommended. Thanks for sharing the touching story.

Hi Jamie,

I hear a lot of criticizing and judging other Christians and especially preachers and I learned to not get angry and pray for the one being judged or criticized as well as for the one who is doing the criticizing because of Jesus command: He commands us to love one another and this command from Jesus gets me to watch what I say when it comes to His children. I admire the fact that you prayed for Joel Osteen and you are asking God to make him a great preacher of the gospel and that through his preaching, millions will come to know the Lord. I agree with your prayers, only I may add, may God continue to bless Joel Osteen, protect him and keep the evil one away from him in Jesus name.
I used to judge, using God ' Word to bring judgement and condemnation on other Christians and I can honestly say that during that time in my life, I lacked peace, joy and love and so thankful to God for delivering me from the bondage of criticizing and finding faults in other fellow believers but instead look for ways to pray for them with thankfulness, for this is what Jesus wants us to do.
Luke 6:37 Do not judge and you will not be judged, do not condemn and you will not be condemnd, for the same measure you use, it will be measured back to you.
Mat 7:1 Judge not, that you be not judged
Mat 7:2 for in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
I love you so much Jamie, hopefully you ask God to show you if what I am saying is true or false.
I am here to bless you because I am blessed in Jesus!
Wow you said that with conviction. I prefer watching the shows that give the most scripture.
In regard to Joel Osteen and his deliveries, which I call sermons of "Worldly Hope"

But before I start let me tell you of my son at 7 years of age. At school he used to approach his friends and classmates asking them if they wanted to be saved. According to him they always said: "Yes" "I then prayed for them dad and then told them they were saved".

My question is this: How many of those kids were really "Born Again"

Look up the word repentance in the concordance and it becomes obvious that repentance of sin is the main requirement leading to salvation. It is impossible to repent when one has not been convicted of sin against God.

Should one simply be sorry for his or her sins, this is not good enough and is known in scripture as "Worldly sorrow" which ultimately leads to death
All sorrow which is not toward God, and which does not arise from sins committed against God, or lead one to repentance, is worthless.
One may experience sorrow which arises from worldly causes, but does not lead to God for consolation. Such sorrow may well include sorrow for sin or vice when it overwhelms the mind with the consciousness of guilt, but still does not lead to repentance, particularly when it is not viewed as an offence against God.
Worldly sorrow simply tends towards distress and self pity, but not eternal life. There is no looking to God; no looking for pardon. It produces complaining and raising questions against God, which leads to God's displeasure and to the condemnation and ruin of that persons soul.

Having listened to Joel "We never close our program......etc" many times, is similar to listening to my 7 year old son...... I have yet to feel any conviction in my soul and doubt whether there are any in the auditorium who come under Godly conviction of sin and find themselves in distress, crying, like Paul's Jailor in the book of Acts: "What must I do to be saved."

Joel's "talks" are geared towards being positive. For Joel to warn of sin and punishment never comes from Joel, hence the main thrust of Joel's messages misses the mark every time and leans more towards the good life.

For Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. 2Cor 7:10 (KJV)

"When God makes you feel sorry enough to turn to him and be saved, you don't have anything to feel bad about. But when this world makes you feel sorry, it can cause your death." 2Cor 7:10 (CEV)
NICELY SAID!
WANT TO SAY: I IN NO WAY WANT TO START ANY FIGHTS! I LOVE ALL AND ONLY WANTED TO KNOW HOW OTHERS FELT ABOUT JOEL. IF GOD BLESSE'S YOU THROUGH HIM WELL...WONDERFUL! LIKE IT HAS BEEN SAID DIFFERENT PREACHERS FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS! MY MAIN POINT IS/WAS JOEL DOES NOT SEEM TO PREACH CHRIST CRUCIFIED AND HOW THE LORD SHED HIS BLOOD FOR OUR SALVATION. I GUESS I LIKE A PREACHER LIKE CHARLES STANLEY. I AM SURE THAT ALL WON'T AGREE WITH ME! I DO WANT TO SAY ABOVE ALL OUR LORD IS WHO SAVES US! NOW THAT IT HAS BEEN SAID HE INVITES ALL TO BECOME A CHRISTIAN I WILL WATCH MORE CLOSELY WITH A OPEN HEART.OR JUST AGREE TO DISAGREE WITH LOVE! MAYBE THE TIMES I HAVE WATCHED HIM I MISSED SOMETHING. I AM NO "PREACHER" FOLLOWER,BUT TRY MY BEST TO FOLLOW MY LORD! I LOVE YOU ALL AND I THANK ALL WHO HAVE AND WILL RESPOND! MAY GOD GIVE US ALL HIS PEACE AND THAT WE CAN LEARN FROM EACH OTHER! JAMIE
Hi Jamie,
I don't believe you have started a fight. Like all of us we need questions to be answered, therefore asking and answering questions is what AAG is all about.
The Christians in Paul's time were commended because they did not simply accept what they had been told, they studied the scriptures (possibly the Old Testament scriptures that spoke of Christ) and then went home and searched the Old Testament to see if what they had been told was actually correct. Today we study both the Old and the New Testaments and marvel how both testaments are in agreement with each other concerning Christ.
As we turn to each other for discussion and possible advice I am sure that God is well pleased, just as He was with the Berean Christians "who searched the scriptures daily to see that the things they were told was in fact so." Acts 17:11

"The people there were more open-minded than the people in Thessalonica. They listened to the message with great eagerness, and every day they studied the Scriptures to see if what Paul said was really true." Acts 17:11

The Lord Bless you as you search the scriptures to get a closer look at the person called
Jesus Christ the son of God.
Your friend in Christ - Ron
Amen and AMEN! You are right on Ron.
Ron you are so right may God continue too use you for the uplifting and enlighten of His word in truth...God bless 4ever&ever
Hi Charles,

It is said that during the sermon by Jonathan Edwards"Sinners in the hands of an angry God" women fainted. I have a copy of a number of his sermons. His description of "Sinners being like a Spider hanging on a thin thread over the flames of Hell" is most descriptive. I dare say that Joel would find his blood run thin and his heart start galloping. Motivational talks under the guise of motivating people towards the gospel without any words of conviction or repentance, is a farce.
Another John I know of preached, Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand. By the way, John had his head cut off after Herod asked for a Motivational dance by Salome, to increase his (Herod's) passion and lust. Little did he know what was to be asked by Salome's mother. "Sup with the devil and you will find yourself paying for the meal."
Blessings to you Charles.
Ron

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service