All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

We know that people will take advantage of the church. Recently, I was in a service where a young woman showed up asking for ‘food’ and I overheard one member saying that the congregation had already helped her once. The woman had sat next to me during the service. She asked me if I could help her with ‘just food.’ I realize that some advise people not to give money to those who are ‘begging’ while others advise that it’s not for us to judge the person but to give if we’re able to give. My thoughts that day were that this woman’s problems go far deeper and she wasn’t just wanting to scam people for money. I tried to focus in on her as an individual and see her spiritual needs but also saw that she had zero self esteem/self respect. 

The fact that she was willing to show up at a church service to beg demonstrates to me that she was willing to endure humiliation, judgment and scrutiny as though that was nothing new to her. How would you treat someone in this situation? 

Views: 1009

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First I guess would be to seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit, which I'm sure you do. If she were able bodied, I would offer her a few chores to do around the church, (supervised of course) dusting, cleaning up after services etc. see if she comes back.

JB

Thanks for replying, JB. How are you? 

After talking to that woman, I’ve been thinking about those who are in need and that it’s probably not a good idea to give cash. So I did a search of the ways rescue missions help the homeless and it pulled up a site that mentioned packing “care kits” and gave a list of the items that can be given to someone in need. The rescue mission recommended using a waterproof bag. Some things on their list of items that someone could use are as follows: 
Water bottle
Socks
Tuna and crackers
Granola Bar or cereal bar
Fruit snack or applesauce cup
Crackers with peanut butter or cheese
Gift certificate to fast food
Hand wipes
Pack of Kleenex
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Nail clippers
Band Aids
Chapstick
Comb or small brush
Mints, cough drops or gum 
Note of encouragement or uplifting Bible verse
I wonder, have you or anyone else reading this ever put together such a ‘care kit’ to keep in your vehicle in case you see someone begging?

Amanda, this is wonderful. I have given things on a smaller scale (grocery store gift cards).

I love how intentional this is. 

You’ve inspired me. Thanks for this. 

Blessings, Carla

The site said to share the info to inspire others. Supporting a local rescue mission in some way I think would be a nice gesture, too. The site said that the waterproof care kits could be easily handed out a car window to someone but that if it seems like a safe situation for you, then taking a few minutes to get out and talk to the person for a few minutes would help the person because only God knows how much they’re ignored and avoided. It recommended at least making eye contact and show the person that they matter. I think I will put some cards of encouragement that I make into some care kits that I put together. 

I agree with the importance of speaking with them. I’ve had interactions with homeless people in that regard more frequently, and I’ve always found it to be mutually rewarding. They want to be noticed more than just having something thrown at them. I believe that loneliness is a big problem. 

Thanks again Amanda. Great input

Wonderful deeds brother God who sees in secret will surely reward you in kind

This is very helpful. Thank you for sharing Amanda.

journeyman

Amanda, its simple LOVE. Love them the same way God loves you and do to them what you will do to yourself. Thank you

Thanks Kenneth. Colossians 3 gives guidance for living after we’ve become made alive in Christ, Love binds it all together. 

Hi Amanda, 

Good conversation.

Loving someone, genuinely, doesn't always manifest itself in ways that others might expect from us.  I agree with JB, the Holy Spirit will lead.  Love isn't entirely based on what they/we want, it's based in the Root of Love, Jesus.  We should always point them to Jesus, little things can mean as much as the big things.  People often say give, give, give, and while I believe that is wonderful to do as long as you can, always do it with the Lord Jesus Christ focus and always pointing to Him.  While I believe that our needs on this earth may be necessary, this is only temporary.  Christ Jesus never did anything without pointing to everlasting life with Him.  I.E.  The rich man that couldn't give up his livelihood and follow Him.  The true riches are not about money....it's always about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Food, clothing, help, money, whatever the case may be, don't do it out of self gratification, be blessed and do it for the Lord Jesus and talking to them about Him. I have seen so many "social" works from so many churches, and I promise you, I don't think it's a bad thing, ever....to help someone, but do it with their eternal destiny in mind, that's what's important.  I've seen people go into other places and build houses with others who have no belief system, but who want to do good.  Never ever leave God out of the equation, like I've said time and time again, we can't even go outside and throw a rock without His power.  I like your findings on ideas, I just feel it's not a social work, it's creating disciples for the Lord.  Everything is for the Glory of God.  Love you!

Most definitely there’s a difference between the good works that follow the new birth which God recognizes as the good works mentioned in Ephesians 2:10 and the works that the world recognizes as good works. Many who do social work or hold jobs as social workers, healthcare workers, etc... or are volunteers in helping to meet social needs of others are born again Christians and their faith is very much a part of their daily duties. Using myself as an example, I don’t work outside the home anymore, but my faith is very much infused within my daily work as a wife, mom, and grandmom. Are you saying that Christian organizations which do social work aren’t biblical? 

Colossians 3:
[16] Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
[17] And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. KJV
The love of Christ is actions, not emotional or stemming from living in feelings. 

Are you saying that Christian organizations which do social work aren’t biblical? 

I'm saying that Christian organizations which do social work and feed on the material....rather than the eternal are not Biblical.  Am I saying don't help anyone, of course not, but do not do it without the Lord's leading and testimony.

Acts 3:6 - Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Christ Jesus Himself said the poor you will always have with you.....

Everything we do must be in the image of the Lord God Almighty.  To help someone out is in no ways a bad thing, but we are not called to be social workers, we are called to be disciples and to preach the Word of God.  I have become disillusioned by this "social work" thing.  I have read many articles on it, we are not social workers, we are disciples.  God is the Healer, God is eternal, God is to be glorified, God is LOVE.  If we are helping someone without speaking about our Lord and Savior....then whom are we glorifying?  Who are we helping?  Whom are we testifying to?  

Do good.....always.....but do it with God's Glory in mind, always.  He is worthy of ALL the Honor, Praise, and Glory.  

I guess what I'm saying is that Christians aren't social workers...no, they are disciples called to spread the Word of God.  I don't care what trade someone is in, they are all called by the Lord.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service