All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

There's a song I've loved for years called Hallelujah. The song has many versions but was originally written by Leonard Cohen with 4 verses with 2 more added later. I've looked at explanations of the song because of the references to David and God and they speak of a broken love between a man and woman. However, I believe there is a deeper meaning and I have my own comments as to what I believe the author is writing about. If you know of the song, what has been your take on it?

Now I've heard there was a secret chord That David played, and it pleased the Lord But you don't really care for music, do you? It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah

David loved music and sang, and danced, before the Lord. However Miriam was disgusted by it or didn't really care for his music. He was the king composing Hallelujah but was baffled by her stance.

Your faith was strong but you needed proof You saw her bathing on the roof Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

David had to prove his faith but was over thrown by the beauty of Bathsheba. The next part may be reference to Delilah and Samson. Three women who were a man's downfall.

Maybe there's a God above But all I've ever learned from love Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya And it's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Baby I have been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you.
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

The writer is questioning God but has also been hurt by a woman he loved. He's been there before. He hasn't seen the light and grows bitter, learning to strike back, or shoot. The song is now bitter and cold.

Later Cohen added the next two verses.

There was a time you let me know What's really going on below But now you never show it to me, do you? And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

He's remembering when God showed him things and the Spirit moved in him.

I did my best, it wasn't much I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

He speaks of how everything went wrong and he lost touch with God, but now he knows he'll stand before Him and still sing Hallelujah.

The song, while being about a broken heart, seems more about a man's struggle with faith. What do you think?

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really enjoy the song. I like the music and I believe you may have captured exactly what the author is telling us. The song is one that sticks in your ear and brain once you hear it. Thanks for this. Nice. :-D

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service