All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Hello, everyone. I was reading through some posts on this site, earlier this evening, and I came across one that addressed having "godly Sorrow" as a condition of true repentance. I consider myself to be a Christian, but I don't understand Godly sorrow. I repent because I know my faith is worthless without it, but I don't feel Godly Sorrow in my soul when I sin, all I feel is guilt (the kind of guilt a child feels when they are disobedient to their parents, and they know punishment is coming.) How do I go about getting Goldy sorrow?

Views: 263

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Brandon,

I just watched this video and found it very helpful about true repentance. 

I hope it helps. 

God bless you,

Shelly

Hi Brandon,

We have godly sorrow when we see sin as God sees it, and begin to understand how it is wretched and separates us from God completely.  Because of sin, we are separated from our Creator.  We would be separated from Him forever if it wasn't for Jesus.  I think of godly sorrow as agreeing with God about that sin.  Agreeing with Him that I should be separated from Him because of sin, and also understanding how terrifying that would be.  Sorrow that isn't godly would only lead to condemnation and guilt and results in a 'performance based' salvation--such as striving to live out the Ten Commandments.  Godly Sorrow acknowledges that there is nothing we can do to 'fix' the consequences of sin.  Only God Himself could fix it, that's why Jesus did what He did for us.  

Think of Jesus, pierced for our sins, suffered, died and buried and rose back to life for us.  All so that we could be reconciled to Him.  His love, His Sacrifice, His Grace, His Forgiveness, His Mercy, His Compassion---all these things lead me to godly sorrow, and gratefulness for what He's done.   Pray that He will help you see it and lead you to godly sorrow over sin.  The worst thing that could ever happen to us would be to be separated from God forever.  Praise God for what He has done for us. 

A simple way of viewing this is:

Guilt that brings fear of punishment: Often not really sorry for what we did, but sorry we got caught (did wrong) that leads to punishment.

Godly Sorrow: Coming into alignment with God and beginning to view sin as He views sin. I no longer desire to cease sinning because I fear punishment, but rather because I love God, the God who loves me.

Most of our Christian life on earth is about coming into alignment with God, learning to walk in his way desiring to please Him because we love the one who first loved us.

Food for thought

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service