All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

God says respect your parents so your days on earth can be added. He also says that we should fear Him and Him alone. The word says when you are ready to take the cross and follow Jesus, you must be ready to love Him so much that you hate your friends, family and even yourself. The son of man said "i am not here to make peace but i have come to cuase division". How does one choose between parents and God? What do you do if God leads you that way and parents the opposite way while He says respect them?

Views: 2535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Zee

This is not an easy one to go through. Especially when coming out of an ungodly family line to Jesus Christ. Please go through the following and consider my thoughts on this issue.

1. Are your biological parents Godly parents, i.e. who is their spiritual father? Heavenly Father or the devil?

The OT commandments were to the nation of Israel, God’s chosen people. They all as a community and people knew their God and religious traditions/duties, and thus the children had parents who knew the true and living God. Taking this into account, in this day and age, where one converts to Christianity and comes out of the ungodly traditions of his father’s and mother’s houses (family lines), in order to fully serve Jesus Christ, such a one has to review his relationship and/or obligations to his parents. Ungodly/Non-Christian parents do not meet Biblical criteria to validate them as being parents any longer (not in a spiritual sense at least). Not parents of “Israel” so to speak, who know the true and living God. Such ungodly parents have the devil for their dad, which changes everything. Having said that, such parents can still be saved, but your primary purpose/goal to follow your Heavenly Father and new spiritual fathers and mothers in the Lord (in Church, home cell, etc.) has to take priority, even if it creates conflict with your biological parents.

Eph 6:1  Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.

2. Is your parents’ will for your life in accordance with God’s will or the devil’s will?

There are three wills in play concerning your life, i.e. the will of God (Jer. 29:11), the will of the devil (to deceive, block, destroy, etc.), and the will of man (which includes your own will and that of others such as your parents). Observation and experience shows that ungodly/idolatrous/witchcraft/ traditional parents set themselves up hard and fast against their own children who have made a decision to serve Jesus Christ. Such parents’ will for their saved children is to bring them back to the “family roots” / “family traditions”. Such parents’ will is that if they cannot get their children away from God and back to the old things, they want to cut off and/or destroy such children. Such parents’ will is to continue to use and manipulate their children. Such children, if they allow their parents’ will to have dominion, live limited lives. Limitation in spiritual growth, victories, blessings, finances, marriage, etc. (depending on the family’s foundational and generational bondages). Such children have to chase hard after God’s perfect will for their lives, rather than to give in to their ungodly parents’ will for their lives which would be linked to the devil’s ultimate will to deceive, block, destroy, etc. Only Godly parents are capable of having God’s will at heart for their children.

3. Are your parents “household enemies”?

Mat 10:34  Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth. I did not come to send peace, but a sword.

Mat 10:35  For I have come to set a man against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.

Mat 10:36  And a man's foes shall be those of his own household.

If you come out of an ungodly/idolatrous/witchcraft/traditional family line, chances are very high that once you give your life to Jesus Christ, you will experience hardened enemies against your life and progress in the form of household enemies. They include parents, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunties, cousins, in-laws, etc.

A story I read (written here in my own words) by an author I respect and trust: A Christian woman who was blocked in marriage (couldn’t  attain to marriage), approached a Man of God concerning her situation and the Man of God told her to ask God to reveal the secret behind her problem. She had a dream later that she was dressed in a wedding gown at a wedding ceremony and was walking toward the altar. When she reached the altar, the bridegroom was none other than her father himself! After this dream, she took steps to cut off from her father, especially from the spiritual bondage indicated (in the spirit she was married to her father), and she thereafter received victory in marriage. Time and space limits the number and details of such stories where people have been blocked in one area or the other and household enemies were behind it.

4. A Biblical example of a bad choice made.

Jonathan and David were best friends. Jonathan however, chose to follow his father Saul King of Israel, who had been rejected by God for his disobedience. Saul eventually sunk further into witchcraft consultation and consequent death. Jonathan’s choice was a poor one indeed! Instead of choosing David, God’s chosen (which would have also meant hardship and struggle together with David till David was King), he rather chose disobedient, rejected-by-God Saul, and he himself was led to untimely death together with daddy Saul. What a tragedy! Some ignorant people argue that Jonathan had no choice, after all, Saul was his father... he had to follow Saul! I differ in opinion though, as I would rather choose to follow God’s leader and chosen one, rather than someone lost and rejected by God (who sometimes unfortunately happen to be biological fathers). We do not have to dishonour our parents, but we do not have to follow them and their agenda.

5. Who’s your Daddy? Or are you going back into bondage? Who do you please? Who do you obey? Especially when faced by those (even parents) who dissuade you, divert you, pull you away from following Christ and back into bondage.

Rom 8:14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Rom 8:15  For you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption by which we cry, Abba, Father!

Rom 8:16  The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God.

Gal 1:10  For now do I persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I yet pleased men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Act 5:29  And Peter and the apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

May God bless you and give you peace as you follow Him.

God Bless,

David

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service