All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

20 YEARS AGO THE MOST KNOWN VERSE BY THE WORLD WAS JOHN 3:16

John 3:16 (New International Version)

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,a]'>[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

However that has not been the case for a long time now. The text unbelievers and believers alike are extremely familiar with today is found in:

Matthew 7

Judging Others

1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. 6"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

What do you think is the biblical stance, are we to judge or not?

Why do we have such a hard time correcting one another, doing the work of reconciliation?

What is Matthew 7 really teaching?

Views: 2488

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely!!! We agree :-) and that clarifies it, at least for me. We judge/discern what is being said or done as it aligns with or breaks with the Word of God. There are many areas we don't fully understand and there are some that are non-negotiables.

Lord Bless,

LT

Rita and LT,

I believe you've both found the key.

We are to examine things under the bright antiseptic light of God's Word and judge/discern whether or not "what is being said or done  aligns or breaks with the Word of God."

Only God can see into our hearts and judge our motives and intentions and know whether we are saved or not.  It is not my place to judge the eternity destiny of others, but I can "judge" whether the Gospel they preach or their actions are in accordance with Scripture.  

Indeed, I have a responsibility as a Christian to exercise due diligence--to know the difference between right and wrong on moral issues, to be able to distinguish between sound and false doctrine, and to act accordingly based on the standard set by God's Word.

Colby

Colby it is good to see you around here again.

I will write the following not to contradict your statement, for I am in complete agreement with it,  but to simply give another side of what you have brought up by saying: "It is not my place to judge the eternity destiny of others,... that is true. However we do have the God given biblical authority to tell people whether they are going to heaven or hell, according to their own confessions, convictions and practices. We do that understanding that we do not know the heart or mind of men, so we base our biblical opinion about someone according to their own confessions. 

Blessings.

Did the Apostle Paul place himself above the judgment of others by saying that only God can judge him?

•  But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged
    by you or by any 
    human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself.
    My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent.
    It is the Lord who judges me" (1Cor4:3-4).

However, Paul didn't hesitate or hold back his judgment and criticism of others (e.g., the Corinthians and Ephesians) did he? 

• "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach
    to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you,
    let him be accursed" (Gal1:8)

Is Paul setting a double standard, giving himself a pass on judgment while feeling free to judge others as he sees fit?

What about 1 Corinthians 4:5?

• "Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time,
    before the Lord comes,
    who will bring to light the things
    now hidden in darkness and will disclose the 
    purposes of
    the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God."

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service