All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

What are your favorite Bible study websites?

Many of us search the Web when we have questions and want to increase
our knowledge about God, faith, doctrine and the Bible.  I'm inviting you
to respond by sharing links to your favorite Bible study 
websites, along
with a brief description of each, so that all of us can benefit.

Views: 294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Biblos.com - http://biblos.com/ 

In my view, the best free Bible study website.  It includes extensive resources, including an online searchable parallel Bible with cross-referenced verses, Interlinear, Hebrew and Greek Bibles, commentaries, maps, concordances, dictionaries, encyclopedias, other study resources, etc.

Bible Gateway - http://www.biblegateway.com

Multiple versions of the Bible available in the language of your choice (including 21 English language Bibles)  and a great source of commentaries.  The different versions of the Bible are searchable by book and verse, keyword, or topic, all directly from the home page. The search results are quickly displayed, and it is easy to switch between versions, allowing comparisons between translations or languages.

New Testament Gateway - http://www.ntgateway.com/

Dr. Mark Goodacre's (an Associate Professor at Duke University) award winning directory of Internet resources on the New Testament.  The New Testament Gateway is a comprehensive directory of academic internet resources related to the New Testament. The New Testament Gateway focuses on resources that will be of interest to both scholars and students of the New Testament.

Christian Classics Ethereal Library - http://www.ccel.org/

An amazing collection of historic works including writings of early church fathers, Josephus and other historians. Also a wide selection of more recent writers from a wide variety of Christian backgrounds. Most available in pdf downloads, voluntary contributions are requested after the first few downloads.

xxxxxx,

Thank you for sharing this link.  I wasn't aware of this website.  Theophilos.com offers a free program that you can download, ibcluding the King James Bible, Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary, and Easton's Bible Dictionary, among other things.

Grace, peace and blessings,

Colby

The following site, http://www.e-sword.net/,  has tons of free stuff downloadable to your computer and is operable off-line. It also has a wide variety of other good stuff that you can buy at very reasonable cost. We do not allow for advertising on this site, but in order to answer your sepcific question I had to include the fact that some of the content can be added at a price. This is currently the only Bible program on my computer that I use. I currently have downloaded 25 Bible versions, 17 commentaries, 16 dictionaries, 3 devotionals, 8 graphic/background, Ante-Nicene Fathers (Volumes 1-9) and a bunch of other stuff. One example of a useful tool is the KJV or NASB with Strong numbers included. If you move your cursor over the number the Stong's definition will pop-up. I also use 3 of the 4 internet sites you listed as well as AllAboutGod.com and GotQuestions.org.

LT,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've downloaded and regularly use the free version of e-Sword, which comes with the King James Bible. 

I've also downloaded the NET Bible, which is loaded with helpful footnotes and includes a module so that it can be used with e-Sword. 

GotQuestions.org is one of my "go to" places for quick answers to questions about the Bible and Christian apologetics, although we shouldn't rely on it to the extent that we become lazy and fail to do due diligence in researching the Scripture. 

Do you recommend the Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry at http://www.carm.org and Hank Hanegraaff's Christian Reserach Institute at http://www.equip.org?

Faith, hope and love,

Colby

Colby,

Thanks for the NET Bible link. I do not currently have a mobile app for the Bible. It is cool that I can link the program I already use. This means I don't have to learn a new one ... again :-)

I think you made a great point when speaking about GotQuestions. We can get some perspective and even good info, but we must not become lazy and simply rely on others. With that said, I would say I like using CARN and CRI at times, but not as often as I probably should. The key for me is that as I read I need to be teachable and at the same time willing to challenge it and not simply fall in line. As long as a person does that, with a teachable nature, they should do fine. One example (I am working off of memory from when I used to listen to the Bible Answer Man on radio and hopefully don't have him mixed up with another guy I used to listen to) is Hanegraaff's view on the end times. Again, if I remember correctly, he holds to replacement theology. I do not. Thus, I will not agree with most of his end time views and other doctrines affected by replacement theology. At the same time I don't question that he loves and knows Jesus and seeks to teach sound doctrine. There is much one can learn, but all must be weighed by Scripture.

LT,

Excellent point!  I hope you will not mind if I build on and amplify it.

Christian apologetics websites, such as GotQuestionsCRI and CARM, are helpful in terms of providing us with insight and answers to questions we have about God, the Bible, and doctrine, but they should never be the final word.  The Bible is our final authority--period.

Sometimes, we have a tendency to go straight to those sites seeking answers, often seeing no further need for research, especially when we find ourselves in agreement or otherwise persuaded by their arguments.  The danger in doing so is that we become no longer teachable or challenged to seek the truth. If we are in error, it becomes further entrenched.

If these sites were the last word, then it would make for short discussions here in the Forum. Questions about God, the Bible, faith, morality and practice would turn into a simple Q & A session.  One member posts the question and another finds and then cuts and pastes the canned answer from an apologetics website (or post a link to the same) at which point we are done.  No discussion needed.

When we have a discussion, it is critical that there be an exchange of views by participants along with whatever biblical support they can muster for their stated positions.  Nothing is more off-putting than people responding to questions with little more than links to lengthy articles that they expect us to read and respond to.  Even worse, is when they keep reposting the same links as if we missed them the first time or thinking it gives them greater credibility (it does not).  Who knows whether they fully understand the third-party's arguments, the assumptions and presuppositions behind them, and the resulting implications?  That is not dialogue.   It is as if they are saying, "Here's what so-and-so the authority on this subject says.  It's true.  Go read it.  Case closed."  Just because Luther, Calvin, John Piper or Joel Osteen says it is true does not make it so.

Frankly, I am more interested in respectful and vigorous  give-and-take, back-and-forth, dialogue where a person shares their thoughts on a given subject, and what they understand the Bible to be saying about it, and others do the same, speaking the truth in love, with iron sharpening iron as a result.

Many of the canned answers Christian Apologetics websites give are solid and backed up with ample biblical evidence.  But sometimes they are not--or they miss or obscure important points, fail to emphasize strongly enough others, or are otherwise lacking.   That is why we must use spiritual discernment as you illustrated in the example of Hank Hanegraaff, "the Bible Answer Man." 

As we all do, the owners of each of these sites read and interpret the Bible through the lens of their own experience, denominational distinctives, upbringing, and subjective personal presuppositions and biases, among other things.  The EPA disclaimer, "Your mileage may vary," most certainly applies.  God's written Word is our only and final authority in matters of faith, doctrine and morality.

The Apostle Paul admonishes us to "test all things"  in light of Scripture, holding on to that which is true, and rejecting all else. (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

• "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,"  says Paul (2 Timothy 3:16).
  • Accordingly, Paul implores us to study the Word of God: "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth"  (2 Timothy 2:15).

Let Christ's grace, mercy and peace be with us in truth and love,

Colby

Colby,

Well said, and I agree.

I also agree with you. So disappointing when a person uses some of these sites as reference because in many situations, I have already seen those sites and still couldn't be satisfied with the answers they provide. I would much rather hear what an individual thinks of a particular verse.

Blessings...

Rita

My favorite one is:

http://biblos.com/

Grace to you - Sermons archieves is also a blessing

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/

Not sure whether I am adding anything or not, but....I found a KJ 2000 on line that has the words of God in red...in Old and New Testaments. I really like it because there leaves no doubt as to whom the speaking of a verse should be attributed. Edited by Robert Couric. This particular book is available for a kindle reading device to make it easy to carry anywhere. Or can be downloaded into Bible Analyzer. This particular version is also in the typical fashion of a regular Bible with black/white lettering. I can be ordered online in paper version for a few dollars. New Testament can be read for free online. I spoke to Dr Couric, and he explained to me that the cost of red lettering the Old Testament in hard copy was prohibitive to him. The verses are written in the manner that a person would speak them but without the *thee's and thous*. Very informative reading in red letter.

(I do need to add that I carry my kindle to church with me. It contains several versions of the Bible and is just an instant away for following along with a reading.)

Blessings...

Rita

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service