All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

A PERSON ASKS YOU - WHY SHOULD I BECOME A CHRISTIAN? WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?

What would you tell them in a reasonable response?

Views: 868

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Dear Brother what a wonderful question.  Where it concerns others the answers will and do very.  I would ask them, "why are you not a Christian?"  And, go from that point.  Discover their mindset about Christianity, if they had been hurt before, or if they had begun to "hunger and thirst" after His Righteous.  If they had begun to seek out Jesus and His Most Remarkable Love.  His Love that defines all others loves.  Let then know, Jesus can satisfy that hunger and thirst, He is The Only One Who can.  All the other avenues they have tried, most of know what they are, they will continue to be left hungry and in need of drink.  

The pain they feel because of, this or that.  All those things that, are designed to hurt and scar, those things they have put away so, no one can see what has been done.  Those things that have left them vulnerable.  They can finally lay down those burdens; they can once and for all allow themselves to be healed and made whole.  You can explain to them that, that pull they have felt is not quilt but, His Love for them.  And, His Love can and set them Free, a Freedom as no other.  A Freedom that will give them the, confidence and Hope they have searched for and have a deep desire to attain.  

I know this might be questionable but, I believe we need to have a audience The Spirit has lead them to us.  Even when it is us who are looking for them.  We have no idea, many or most of the time who The Spirit is convicting.  As we are lead to ask these questions, you have shared Richard.  It is our job to ask; our job to be obedient.  They will answer how they see fit.  Yet,  even if they turn us down cold, they will know where to come when they need to know more.

I think I would ask such a person if death is scary to them or if they fear the dying process and are ready for that time when it comes because, as I heard in a sermon recently, dying is the number one cause of death in the world.

At any rate, someone wondering what is in it for them is a good opening to talk to them about the death and sacrifice of Christ to atone for sins and give eternal life to those who believe in Him. The question sounds sort of selfish and seeing the total selflessness of Christ would likely make an impact. It does on me.

Part of my devotion today, written by Mark Jeske, said this:

"Some of us will die instantly--in a car accident, aneurysm, or massive heart attack. But insurance actuaries will tell you that the majority of people will die slowly enough to be aware of death’'s approach. Are you ready for that time? Does death terrify you? Does the dying process terrify you?

"One of the most comforting aspects of Christ’'s work for us is that he has gone through pain, dying, and death in advance of us. He didn’t eliminate it from the human experience. He transformed it into our Homecoming. The transition now holds no terror, no sting. Our last moment on earth is instantly transformed into our first moment with Jesus.

"Here are words from the One who thought you valuable enough to die for: “God will redeem my life from the grave; he will surely take me to himself” (Psalm 49:15)."

Hi Guys,

I'm still LOL.........."Dying is the number one cause of death in the world."

That's good, Amanda.

I think the subject of the dying process, and dying are great attention-getters. And Amanda, you know when writing a piece.........the title, and/or the first line should grab a person's interest to get their attention. I like that approach.

Brother Chris, excellent idea......answer their question with a question to find out where they're at, and where they are coming from.

I guess what we are accomplishing  when dealing with a person(s) in this situation is Romans 10:17, " So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (N.K.J.V.).

And, I Corinthians 3:6-8, ' I planted,  Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.

So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.

Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor." (N.K.J.V.).

So, if nothing else happens.......we are sowers of the seed - the word of God.

Question: How much of Scripture should we use in the dialogue?

Thanks for your excellent thoughts Amanda and Chris...........

Grace and Peace.

I've also heard Dr. David Jeremiah say that death is the number one killer in America.

I would simply say,"Eternity with perfect love".

I figure that would solicit a lot of questions giving me chance to share the gospel message.

dying is the number one cause of death in the world......too funny

Blessings 

Gary

:)

There's no need to collect further data on it. The chance of the average death not being from dying is highly unlikely and unreasonable to believe, given the immense data already available, but Science requires a large burden of proof. Some similar statistics that have a hypothesis with a very high confidence level of being correct are: not eating is the number one cause of hunger in the world; breaking a bone is the number one cause of a broken bone in the world. There's simply not enough information to say these statements are false but I'm sure follow up studies will be conducted.

I love this question.  I have to agree that dying is the number one cause of death in the world. :-)

I would tell them that forgiveness from sin and freedom from bondage is in it for them.  Freedom from condemnation and guilt.  Reconciliation with their Creator... the One who knows and loves them the most.

Hopefully this would help the conversation continue.  Perhaps they may think they have not sinned and don't need forgiveness....  That's when I would talk about God's perfect standard and the 10 commandments.  Have you ever lied?  Have you ever taken something that doesn't belong to you?  Have you ever looked at a married member of the opposite sex with lust/desire for them?  Do they have an addiction in their life they are unable to break?

This will lead to other questions...  possibly such as these:

Why is Christianity right and all the other religions wrong?

What does God allow suffering?

etc....difficult questions for sure.  Listen to their responses and keep them talking, but also know when to stop. (Matt 7:6)

Freedom, Forgiveness and Reconciliation.  What's better?

Blessings, Carla

I love this question.  I have to agree that dying is the number one cause of death in the world. :-)

I would think the fear of it would be a close runner-up, because fear hath torment, 1Jo.4:18

JB

Yes JB.  Absolutely.  There is fear in death.

Some people may openly respond to that, others will not.

For example, in my experience of speaking with atheists, they deny it because they insist that this life is all there is... at the point of death, they say there is only blackness... nothingness.  the end.  they will say, that in that 'end' there is nothing to fear.  In my opinion that is a sad, depressed hope-less way to live.  Perhaps it gives the atheists comfort though... it's a better option for them than God's judgement and wrath to sin.  Sadly, however, their opinion on the matter doesn't change what is ultimately true. 

There is fear in death because death has torment... My opinion is that they feel/know that torment even now but won't openly admit it.

"Perhaps it gives the atheists comfort though ..."

Yes. At the same time, there are many people in other religions, such as Buddhism and Shintoism, who die peacefully, comforted by their hope and faith in those religions, believing they have nothing to fear, either. It is sad.

Yes.  There is such a thing as false hope.  Proverbs 14:12.

The atheist would respond "how do you know your way isn't a false hope?"

Blessings, Carla

That's tough to answer since the light in people can be darkness. Jesus is the True Light, the only true light, and God must open eyes and hearts.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service