All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I was curious about this post. The question I have has nothing to do with the subject though it is a great message. In the last paragraph it says 'in this media-saturated, video-oriented age'. So, here is my question. A.W. Tozer died in 1963. What videos were around then? Yep, it's a silly question but didn't know who else to ask.

Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership. Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.—1 Timothy 4:14-15

Many of us who preach the unsearchable riches of Christ are often pretty dull and hard to listen to.

The freshest thought to visit the human mind should be the thought of God. The story of salvation should put a radiancy in the face and a vibrancy in the voice of him that tells it. Yet it is not uncommon to hear the wondrous message given in a manner that makes it difficult for the hearer to concentrate on what is being said. What is wrong?...

It is true that only the Spirit-filled preacher can be morally effective at last; but for the moment we are thinking only of the ability of a speaker to command the attention of his hearers. And if the speaker cannot keep his hearers immediately interested, his message cannot possibly have a long-range effect upon them, no matter how spiritual he may be. The Warfare of the Spirit, 67-68.

"Lord, in this media-saturated, video-oriented age, it is increasingly difficult for the preacher to hold the interest of sound-bite listeners. Yet as we give ourselves to the task of preaching, You've promised to bless, and we thank You. Amen."

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe they are talking about now & not then?

Maybe so Watchman

At this link, you can view videos from the 1960s http://www.history.com/topics/1960s/videos

The definition of video is partly about television:

video
[vid-ee-oh]

Television.
the elements of television, as in a program or script, pertaining to the transmission or reception of the image (distinguished from audio).
the video part of a television broadcast.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/video

Oh OK. Thanks Amanda. I kept trying to think back. I was born in 1964 & couldn't remember anything close to a video. Was curious.

One sows and another reaps.  Why is it the speaker must command the attention of the listeners?  If anything they say at all plants even a small seed, that can be expanded upon by another and another.  We do the sowing.  Sometimes we might sow a few times before another comes along and reaps the harvest. 

And then we have the very eloquent speakers who command the attention of huge audiences while stuffing their pockets with proceeds.

I have listened to a few sermons that were a little dull. The first time a shared a few Bible verses, I dropped my card with the Bible verses, I didn't mark the spots in my Bible so I was digging through my Bible and less than prepared. It was clumsy. Not everyone can be dynamic. God works with people, and their ministry and teaching skills are not perfected overnight.

But on the other hand, as the persons receiving the sermon, less than dynamic or not, it is Bible. Listen with a purpose in mind and carry away with you at least one thought that you will remember for a long time. There is something in that teaching that God wants you to hear and remember. If you have trouble staying awake, tickle the roof of your mouth with the tip of your tongue. That tiny tickle will help you stay awake to catch what it is God wants you to hear. Try it.

Love,

Mary

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service