All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Saved By Grace, But Do We Demonstrate That Grace In Our Lives?

This is a true story. I chose to leave the names out: In 2005 a women was on her way home from her niece’s recital at about 12:30 AM. Little did she know that in a short moment her path would cross with five young men and her life altered. Earlier that evening these five men broke into a car and stole some credit cards. They proceeded to buy several hundred dollars worth of DVDs and video games. They also purchased a 20 pound turkey. This turkey was later tossed from their car that night as they crossed paths with the young lady’s car. The turkey went through the windshield, bent the steering wheel and crushed almost every bone in her face. Miraculously she survived, but required 10 hours of surgery to reconstruct her face. The area in which this occurred was outraged.

Months later at the trial the defendant plead guilty. What did he get as a sentence? He received 6 months in jail and 5 years probation. How could such a light sentence be given out for such a hideous crime against a complete stranger? He could have received up to 26 years in prison. Why didn’t he? The victim asked the court to show lenience on the young man. After the sentence was pronounced the victim approached the young man. She gave him a hug and told him that she forgave him. He was remorseful and thankful as they embraced. There were not many dry eyes in the court room that day. What a powerful act of grace from the victim towards her attacker.

I share this, because it convicted me as I read it today. How often I get angry in traffic or over trivial stuff. Could I have demonstrated that kind of grace if that had happened to me?

What keeps me and so many others from being able to display such grace? Is this story an anomaly or is it a standard to aspire to? Have you ever witnessed such grace first hand or displayed it yourself?

Views: 1124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Imperator,

I respectfully disagree with you. This is the entire point of being 'born again'. To say that people cannot demonstrate such Grace, is to say that God cannot generate such a change in a person's heart when they are willing and come to Him in submission expressing their deep desire and entire need for Him. God can and does cause this type of change to happen in people's lives. Jesus will never turn anyone away when their desire is for Him and to change to begin to live for His purposes not their own.

Jhn 6:37 "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.

I personally have been able to extend Grace and forgiveness in ways that have baffled me. Without God, I would not have been able to do so. If you care to know how (just one example), you can read my testimony of 'being born again' on my page. I was a bitter bitter person before God got a-hold of me. His Power and Grace did indeed change me...and I am a work in progress also. But He will never leave me or forsake me.

2Cr 5:12 Are we trying to pat ourselves on the back again? No, we are giving you a reason to be proud of us, so you can answer those who brag about having a spectacular ministry rather than having a sincere heart before God.
2Cr 5:13 If it seems that we are crazy, it is to bring glory to God. And if we are in our right minds, it is for your benefit.

2Cr 5:14 Whatever we do, it is because Christ's love controls us. [fn] Since we believe that Christ died for everyone, we also believe that we have all died to the old life we used to live. [fn]
2Cr 5:15 He died for everyone so that those who receive his new life will no longer live to please themselves. Instead, they will live to please Christ, who died and was raised for them.
2Cr 5:16 So we have stopped evaluating others by what the world thinks about them. Once I mistakenly thought of Christ that way, as though he were merely a human being. How differently I think about him now!
2Cr 5:17 What this means is that those who become Christians become new persons. They are not the same anymore, for the old life is gone. A new life has begun!
2Cr 5:18 All this newness of life is from God, who brought us back to himself through what Christ did. And God has given us the task of reconciling people to him.
2Cr 5:19 For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people's sins against them. This is the wonderful message he has given us to tell others.
2Cr 5:20 We are Christ's ambassadors, and God is using us to speak to you. We urge you, as though Christ himself were here pleading with you, "Be reconciled to God!"
2Cr 5:21 For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ.

Phl 1:6 And I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again. (emphasis mine)

How can we do this... Well, I know that the Vengeance is not mine...but rather, Vengeance belongs to the Lord:
Rom 12:17 Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. [fn] Respect what is right in the sight of all men.
Rom 12:18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Rom 12:19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but [fn] leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.
Rom 12:20 "BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD."
Rom 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

2Ch 20:15 and he said, "Listen, all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem and King Jehoshaphat: thus says the LORD to you, 'Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God's.

Psa 24:1 The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains, The world, and those who dwell in it.

So I can rest knowing that my God is Sovereign. Vengeance is His, the battle is His, The earth belongs to HIM.

When He asks me to Love my enemies, He doesn't leave me alone to rely on my own strength or power to do so, because HE knows and I know I don't have it. He does..and He strengthens me. Am I always obedient? sadly no.... But even then, that doesn't change who He is, and what HE is capable of doing..compared to who I am.

Blessings, Carla
Imperator,

Some of the things you said are true while others need buffering. We are able to do all things through Christ. Folks who are not born again are able to forgive in amazing ways, so how much more do we, who are born again able to do this.

2 Peter 1:3 (New International Version)

3His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

I just walked in the house and saw your post. What I am about to write is not to pad myself on the back, but to bring Glory to our king.

I was just in a car accident and my niece is in the hospital from it. A lady ran into the back of my truck just about an hour ago. I was taking my niece to the bus station (Greyhound). It was a real bad accident. The lady that hit me lifted my truck off the ground and my mom, niece and I got bruced up real bad. As I type this, my whole right side is hurting, but by God's grace we all survived it without major injuries. I know this is an accident and not a malevolent act, so being that is an accident is easier to forgive. The young lady that total my car was fine as well, but never came over to check on us or apologize. She actually got on the phone called her family who got there in a matter of minutes and they, her entire family, started accusing me with the police officers. I only told the officer that she was the only one in the vehicle and they had just arrived on the scene, so they had no idea how it happened. She continued to blame me and said that it was my fault, but because of the nature of the accident everyone could tell she was at fault. I was starting to get upset, when the Lord reminded me to let it go and not give a bad testimony and keep my cool. So I walked away talked to the officer that took the info down and paid for a towing truck.

Well I said all that to say I have not one ounce of hate or anger towards that person. Why? Because I am an awesome human being? Everyone - look at me, how great I am! No, not at all. God changes us. That is all. God really changes us. He has forgiven me of so much, how can I not forgive others. Simple as that. Praise God! Our Lord is more real than the air we breathe; He made the air and sustains it.

Love you family
I'm so glad you and your family are okay David. Praise God! I will lift you all up in prayer.

Love in Christ, Carla
Thank you beloved.
You know sister, I was just telling my Lord, "I guess you wanted a fresh testimony for this thread, huh" I got no answer from Him hahaha, Oh the Lord did tell me - I Kept you and yours. :) It is mind blugling how things work out at times haha. All is good when we have Him. My niece is fine by God's grace and just walked in. My sis drove all the way from San Diego to come get her.

Thank you for your prayers
Amen... Praise God!
Amen my brother.
LT --

Forgive me my brother for having a silly sense of humor, but after the day I had I pray you demonstrate Grace to me for sharing this here.

Lord help us be gracious to women drivers hahaha
David,

After the day you had feel free to be as silly as you like :-)

Praise God all is well (except your truck) and that you displayed godly grace.

Lord Bless,
LT
YS,

Hahaha ... not laughing at you .... hahaha .... laughing with you .... hahaha

Also remembering back .... but that is another story :-)

Lord Bless,
LT
That's okay.. my story is almost just as good as yours. Well about 16 years ago..... I worked in a hotel for the overnight shift. I was backing out of my driveway at about 11:30 pm (very dark) and I saw a dark object laying in my driveway. I swerved to avoid it and crunched the side of the car into the house....sigh... I had to go into the house to tell Craig what I had done, but I was also very scared because of this 'dead animal' that was in the driveway. Well.. Craig came to my rescue and clear away the dead animal only to come back to me to reveal a dark coloured sweater ....not an animal, and not dead..rather an inanimate object blocking my way. Oh boy.... I have never lived that one down. Expensive repairs that my lovely husband paid....of coarse I've had to endure the jokes over the years.

I have another one... I was driving (rather recently) I think it was about a year ago, and I turned 'right' without properly waiting for my turn (I'm telling on myself here) So ...a guy came up really close to my rear... and I was intimidated by him so I turned left without looking just to get away from him...and I drove over a curbed median ..it was a new vehicle.. I heard a loud 'crunch' but somehow by God's Grace, there was no damage to my vehicle.

Otherwise, I really am a good driver... Well...they gave me a license. :)
hahaha... Oh Rod... It takes a very confident man to admit these things.

I could tell a few on my husband but he is not here to defend himself...so I will not. :)

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service